Jump to content

Chapter 1: Old Bones and Skin


rogueblade0729

Recommended Posts

Music: The Haunted Burrow - LOTRO Unreleased Soundtrack

The South Downs - Fall 2947 T.A.

5400714-mountain-cloud-fog-rocky-snow-valley-cloudy-nature-sky-landscape-haze-eerie-creepy-foggy-creative-commons-images.jpg.65b384bcb7929c4d4f118b91db6386ff.jpg d9b0q81-4e739cc9-2f32-4b95-b770-062e13bb1302.png.24297e3b60fe2c6323305c99f73dbbb4.png

Recap

When last we left our heroes...

The Company, after a lengthy period of time apart, were brought back together again by what seemed to be fate. One night at the Prancing Pony, they were alerted by young Tom Heatherton to a "ghost" that was haunting the Bree graveyard. But when they went to investigate, they began to find clues that indicated the monster that spooked the boy was more likely a troll than anything undead. At the same time, they discovered a strange rumor around Tom's uncle, Timeas, who had unexpectedly died a little while ago, leaving a mysterious inheritance the young Tom was trying to claim through graverobbing. His father, Nick Heatherton, was desperately trying to keep him out of trouble, though he too was marked with suspicion by the heroes.

Finding the trail of the creature, they followed it down the Greenway into the South Downs. Along the way, they met a curious traveler known only as Dancer, who offered them words of wisdom and a horrifying story of the Old Troll, a villain of no small notoriety. After several days of pursuit, the heroes located the troll's lair, which seemed to be trapped with all sorts of foul sorcery. They lost one another in engulfing fog, but managed to reunite just in time, as the troll attempted to ambush them! Despite its skin being as tough as stone, they drove it off, and now they plunge cautiously into the cave at the bottom of the sloping hill...

Link to the old Chapter 1 thread


As the heroes cautiously dared the unknown dangers and nauseating stench of a troll's lair, they began to notice something peculiar yet alarming. They could hear the soft pitter-patter of light footsteps, as if someone was just up ahead in the darkness, creeping further into the cave. So far, nothing has indicated that the party's presence is noticed... not yet, at least. But just around the bend on the left wall, a shadow began to form. However, Fletcher's use of torchlight seemed to alert the figure to their presence before their footsteps could. It looked at them, and the fire's illumination brightened around the shape of the figure...

unknown.png.2614807b8b38e5dbafeaf0e61f57174e.png

"Put that light out! You have a death wish?!" the figure harshly whispered, revealed now to be young Tomas Heatherton! What was he doing here?

OOC

Roles for Journeys

  • GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: The Company has discovered Tomas Heatherton in the troll's cave! How did he get here?

Roll20 Map


@codexgigas @Grendel @Papa Bear @grimlock

 

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.58cec584ace6fca2468cb9f0e8a37e5c.jpeg

"Quiet, ye. Me hears sumthin.'" The burly dwarf says, stopping for a moment to listen. "Oh, if'n ets that boy..." the dwarf growls and starts heading down the 'hole' at a quicker pace.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 2
spacer.png


AC: 15/17 | HP: 11/16 | HD: 2/2d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Warden's Gift: 1/3 | Foresight: 0/1 | Shadow Points: 2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1


Amdiran stops short as his torchlight reveals Tomas Heatherton. "The alternative is to grope blindly about in a troll-hole, young master Heatherton," the Ranger whispers softly. "I am surprised to see you here, padding about in the dark. I think there is much that you have not told us, not least of which is how you find your way in the dark."

Amdiran gives the Bree-man a long, suspicious look. There is much about this matter that he does not understand, and something about Tomas Heatherton rubs him the wrong way. It is not so much that he suspects the boy is a pawn of the Shadow, but there are other forces in the world that are no more friendly to the Free Peoples of Middle-Earth than the Necromancer. He wonders which, if any, of them might have a hand in the current mischief.

He forces himself out of his reverie, shaking his head to clear his thoughts. "Now is not the time for stories, of course. When we finish our errand here, you will have much to explain, Tomas."


Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)


AC: 15 | HP: 10/10| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft

 


Prudence kept low and slightly ahead of the others, trying to stay out of the immediate torchlight, though grateful for it.  With her nightvision she hoped to see any dangers before they saw her and her companions.  To say she was surprised to see Heatherton would be an understatement.  She paused when the others stopped, keeping a watch ahead but not speaking or otherwise giving away her presence or position.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Léofwyn

The shield maiden frowned at the sight of the Heatherton boy. "I thought it was you that I spied skulking about in the fog. Come, you should stay close until we are done here. I'm sure we will have much to discuss once our business is done."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 Music: The Haunted Burrow - LOTRO Unreleased Soundtrack

The South Downs - Fall 2947 T.A.

unknown.png.2614807b8b38e5dbafeaf0e61f57174e.png

"Shh!" Tomas hissed as everyone spoke up. "Keep it down! There's a troll in there!" He gestured for the Company to follow quietly, at which point he led them into a dark alcove just on the left, where the light of a bonfire could be seen. Peering out from the shadows revealed a single-chamber cave, yet one that reeked something foul. Piles upon piles of bones and mostly-rotted corpses filled the chamber, some very old, some very recent. What kind of bones they were was hard to say--some were clearly too big to be human--but the abundance of human skulls indicated that a significant number of these were once of the peoples of Man.

Along the inner wall of the chamber sat the Troll on a seat of stone, bathed in the warm firelight. His arm was bruised and mildly cut from the ambush, but otherwise he looked unhurt. In fact, he was reclined against the wall with his arms folded, asleep! A wicked, curved knife dangled from his belt, long enough that it could serve as a two-handed sword in the hands of a large Man or Elf. Placed next to the seat was the trunk-like club that the Company spotted earlier, the thinner portion of it smoothed with use, while the thinner portion was dotted with dried bloodstains. Long grey hear draped from his temples, and on his body he wore a makeshift suit of armor, a handmade amalgamation of mail and hide that has seen more in its life than everyone in the Company combined. Poking out of the Troll's meaty hand was what looked like the shinbone and foot of a human, mostly gnawed of flesh, but with a curious black single-buckled boot still worn.

Yet, this is not what Tomas' eye was on. On the opposite side of the Troll, tucked into a little alcove, was a sizable pile of treasure. Pouches of coin, curious boxes, and other oddities could be seen.

"No! He's got the shin of me Uncle Tim!" Tomas quietly despaired. "But where's the rest of him?"

OOC

Roles for Journeys

  • GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: You have entered the Troll's lair! Advance your tokens on Roll20 until you can see it, but not so close that you've stepped into the chamber. What do you do?

Roll20 Map


@codexgigas @Grendel @Papa Bear @grimlock

 

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 2
spacer.png


AC: 15/17 | HP: 11/16 | HD: 2/2d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Warden's Gift: 1/3 | Foresight: 0/1 | Shadow Points: 2 | DM Inspiration: 1/1


Amdiran gags at the troll-stench, but keeps his reaction as quiet as possible. He looks at the sleeping troll, which seems even more formidable in the firelight than it did in the mists outside. Part of him wants to flee to safety, yet he knows that the troll is a danger to Bree-land which must be dealt with. He does not have time to return with a company of his kinsmen, as he would like. He and his three companions must take care of the troll themselves.

He looks at Tomas and says, "Now is not the time for despair. We must focus on the task at hand, and therefore avenge your uncle."

The Ranger looks at his companions. "It is risky, but could one of us sneak upon the Old Troll and wound it as it sleeps? The rest of us can launch our attack before it knows what has happened. Fire will be our friend in this," he suggests.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)


AC: 15 | HP: 10/10| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft

 


Prudence could feel herself shaking, she had never felt such dread in her life.  When Amdiran asked she nearly squeaked, assuming not without merit that he meant her.  With a timid, shaking, raised hand she sort of, kind of volunteers.  "I think, that is to say, well I can be very quiet, and er, do have a sword of sorts, if you understand..." she starts blabbering away, in a very quiet whisper, hoping in some part of her that they can't hear her.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Léofwyn

Léofwyn grimaced at the sight of the troll. This will surely be a difficult battle. However an idea began to take hold as Flethcer mused.

She whispered to the others. "If you wish to ambush him I can throw my spear as you fire an arrow."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)


AC: 15 | HP: 10/10| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft

 


"Well, let me get in behind him.  When I jab him then fire away," Prudence suggests, not so much finding courage but rather thinking that fire arrows and flying spears would ruin the surprise she hoped to give the loathsome creature.

 

Name
Stealth
14
1d20+8 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

  Music: The Haunted Burrow - LOTRO Unreleased Soundtrack

The South Downs - Fall 2947 T.A.

unknown.png.2614807b8b38e5dbafeaf0e61f57174e.png

Prudence quietly slips into the cave, the snoring of the Troll echoing and rattling around her small form. It may seem odd to her that this creature, which they had fought less than an hour ago, would now be asleep. Perhaps he didn't suspect foolhardy adventurers would dare enter his lair, given the mounds upon mounds of bones left outside as a warning. Or, perhaps this was a ruse, a trap that the Troll itself was planning to spring on the Company! Regardless, the hobbit managed to sneak ever so cautiously around the slumbering behemoth, the glitter of precious things catching her eye in the back corner. It would be so easy to slip over there now and grab some treasure, while she still had the chance...

This left the rest of the Company. How would they choose to engage the Troll? Stealthily, like Prudence, or boldly like heroes of old? Tomas seems to have resigned himself to following the Shield-Maiden's lead.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

  • GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: Prudence has been moved closer to the Troll on Roll20, apparently without awakening him. What does everyone else wish to do? If you plan on taking the Troll by surprise the sneaky way, make a Dexterity (Stealth) check. Alternatively, if you want to confront the Troll openly and catch him off-guard, make a Charisma (Intimidation) check. This is a group check, so if two or more of you succeed, you get the upper hand.

Roll20 Map


@codexgigas @Grendel @Papa Bear @grimlock

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)


AC: 15 | HP: 10/10| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft

 


As she crept up on the old troll, her knees shaking and her mother's voice really loud in her head berating her for a lack of hobbit-sense, she drew the blade and readied to shove it with all of her strength into the old troll's back.  For a brief moment she looked at the glint of the treasure and her mother's voice was over run by a single word, SHINY.  But she shook her head remember the wildly dangerous creature before her, and plunged the sword in as deep as she could...

 


OOC:  Okay, so ignoring the 'advantage' roll, it is a 20 total to-hit and 17 damage.

Edited by Grendel (see edit history)
Name
Shortsword Attack
20; 11
1d20+6;2d6 [14]; [14,6,5]
Advantage Roll
2
1d20 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

spacer.png
Orn, Son of Thain

"Ye face tha fury o' tha Khazâd now, monster!" Orn yells as he charges the old troll, mallet waving above his head, but slips, tripping on the uneven ground.  "Ancestors preserve me this humiliation!" the dwarf growls as he picks himself up off of the ground, madder than a cat in a wet sack.

 

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)
Name
Attack Roll
10
1d20+7 3
With Advantage
12
1d20+7 5
If the attack hits, it deals
11
1d8+5 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Léofwyn (Rohirrim Warrior level 2)


AC: 17 | HP: 20/20| Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft | Inspiration: 1 | Shadow: 4


Léofwyn watched carefully as the Prudence crept deep into the lair. The act of bravery gave her a newfound respect for the little folk. She held her spear aloft and hurled it with all her might a soon as the halfling's dagger met troll flesh.

 

OOC

Léofwyn will attempt to surprise the troll with her throwing spear, then draw her sword and move forward along with Orn. 

Edited by grimlock (see edit history)
Name
Throwing Spear
14
1d20+4 10
Damage
4
1d6+1 3
Stealth
4
1d20+2 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • This topic was unpinned and locked
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
√ó
√ó
  • Create New...