Application (Questions & Answers)

bwatford

08/02/2023

• Cleaned up the starting magic item list to be a much more concise list with better item options to make character creation easier.
  • Cleaned up a few grammatical errors in the advertisement.
  • Adjusted starting equipment to include an extra 600 gp per character.

It sounds like an interesting setting and I'd like to ask a few questions about spellcasters.

• Magical aptitude and training seems to be rare in this world. Approximately, how common is it for a citizen to have that aptitude?
  • What is the most popularly accepted theory for why some people have magical aptitude and others do not?
  • How do the people in Aglorian test for magical aptitude? Is the testing done systematically like during a rite to adulthood, or are more opportunities given to the wealthy?
  • Is there a coherent difference in the quality or experience of how magic feels between wizards, sorcerers, druids, and clerics; or does it vary wildly between individuals?
  • How do warlocks fit into the formal society of spellcasters? Are some patrons more acceptable than others?

I see the preferred character sheet has a lot of information for equipment and weight and the like. Are you enforcing encumbrance and limits, or is it more 'if you want to track this' sort of thing? I'm just wondering how detailed i need to be in this area.

Lycanthropic Bloodline looks cool, though Beast Barbarian would probably be more survivable. Would an Eldritch Claw Tattoo be purchasable or available instead of a +1 weapon for natural weapon builds?

8 hours ago, Algiedi said:

It sounds like an interesting setting and I'd like to ask a few questions about spellcasters.

• Magical aptitude and training seems to be rare in this world. Approximately, how common is it for a citizen to have that aptitude?
  • What is the most popularly accepted theory for why some people have magical aptitude and others do not?
  • How do the people in Aglorian test for magical aptitude? Is the testing done systematically like during a rite to adulthood, or are more opportunities given to the wealthy?
  • Is there a coherent difference in the quality or experience of how magic feels between wizards, sorcerers, druids, and clerics; or does it vary wildly between individuals?
  • How do warlocks fit into the formal society of spellcasters? Are some patrons more acceptable than others?

Magical aptitude and training seems to be rare in this world. Approximately, how common is it for a citizen to have that aptitude?

Magical aptitude is actually fairly common, with a lot of fey-touched races, and others that are capable of conjuring up minor magical talent. It is the training for the true arcane that is rare. While only a few bards are trained at a time at the famed Minstrel College, true wizards (anything over around 7-8th level) of any talent are far and few between. As most individuals with such talent are sought out quickly by the Wizards of the Arcane Tower to continue their training. Most larger cities have smaller schools or individual masters that teach wizards and sorcerers of lesser talent.

What is the most popularly accepted theory for why some people have magical aptitude and others do not?

It all depends on what sign you were born under, so date of birth has a lot to do with it, this is not gone into detail in the setting so feel free to play with it.  Usually, children born at certain times are sought out very young to be trained in their abilities, some have natural talent like druids or sorcerers, others are touched by the divine or have the inept ability to channel the weave of the universe into potent spells with the proper learned knowledge (wizards). While there are known cases outside of those dates, it is uncommon and individuals with no aptitude it is hard to learn more than a few cantrips or low-level spells.

How do the people in Aglorian test for magical aptitude? Is the testing done systematically like during a rite to adulthood, or are more opportunities given to the wealthy?

Some people may hide their children's births or pay to record it differently when they are born under the signs of magic, in fear that one day someone will come to take them away, while others fear children born during this time and drop them off at the nearest orphanage. Either way, once someone born under these signs reach adulthood, other spellcasters can detect them as part of using the detect magic spell. This also leads to people being led astray by being told they have aptitude when they do not, especially by organizations like the Children of the Coven.    

Is there a coherent difference in the quality or experience of how magic feels between wizards, sorcerers, druids, and clerics; or does it vary wildly between individuals?

It can vary, but generally it is accepted that both divine and arcane magics come from the same unseen force that surrounds everything with different casters able to tap into it differently.  While some may use divine faith and their deity allows them to touch the power or they have a natural or learned ability to do so. This reflects into the type of magics one wields.  It is generally just referred to as 'the weave.' As to an untrained eye it is sort of what it looks like when the energy manifest, is like glowing strands of fabric being pulled from thin air. In as much so that there is a religion based around the God of Magic, also known as the Wondermaker, who's clerics believe that the deity is the true source of 'the weave' itself. Which leads most multi-classed divine/arcane to this faith.

How do warlocks fit into the formal society of spellcasters? Are some patrons more acceptable than others?

They don't usually, most warlocks play themselves off as sorcerers or mages and hide the true source of their magics while others blame it on no small part of a tiefling or demonic bloodline. Some practice openly as warlocks, especially those with celestial patrons but are usually viewed as being destined for ruin or evil or tainted in some way by a dragon or other entity. Most think that there is something wrong in their blood and that the forces of good and evil fight within them. Most warlocks are individuals who were not born under the signs of magic and have been granted it from another source "outside the norm". Many individuals who desire power but were just born at the wrong time seek out this route, usually under demonic (dark angel) patrons who are more than willing to grant power, often for a price that ends up being too high to pay.

4 hours ago, Neopopulas said:

I see the preferred character sheet has a lot of information for equipment and weight and the like. Are you enforcing encumbrance and limits, or is it more 'if you want to track this' sort of thing? I'm just wondering how detailed i need to be in this area.

I do enforce simple encumbrance. You can carry a max of 15 x STR score, after that your speed is reduced to 5'. You can itemize it or just total it, that is up to you.

2 hours ago, Spaceace said:

Lycanthropic Bloodline looks cool, though Beast Barbarian would probably be more survivable. Would an Eldritch Claw Tattoo be purchasable or available instead of a +1 weapon for natural weapon builds?

Yes, that would be agreeable.

There are a lot of cool shadow based subclasses in the player options, so I'm leaning towards using one of those as a descendent of a noble family ruined by the Inquisition, whose family then turned to shadow magic.

For the Shadow Wizard, the 6th and 10th level features seem a little strange.

1. At 6th, it says

"When you cast a 1st or higher level spell to create the image of an object, creature, or visible phenomenon, you can choose to cast your spell to deal 1d6 psychic damage per spell level at the beginning of every turn of each affected creature."  

That seems to say that each affected creature takes damage at the start of every other affected creatures' turns. Is that right? Then for silent image, if I were to create a swarm of shadowspawn, would that damage be only to those in the 15' cube, adjacent to it, or anyone that can see the illusion?

2. Then at 10th, it says

"As an action, you can choose an evocation spell that deals damage. You cast this spell as an illusion spell using a spell slot equal to the spell level of the chosen spell. Otherwise, the spell works exactly like the original spell. The affected creature must make the saving throws as described in the spell’s description. However, a creature affected by a shadow evocation spell must first make an Intelligence saving throw. On a failed save, the creature believes the spell to be real and takes damage from the spell as normal. On a successful save, the creature takes only half damage."

So if I were to use this for fireball, it would use a 3rd level slot, do half damage on a successful dexterity save, but they make an additional intelligence save to cut that damage in half again? That's a straight nerf compared to just casting fireball and doesn't make sense at all to me. Or do they have to pass both saves to only take half damage? That would be cool and not crazy powerful.

12 minutes ago, BobtheWizard said:

There are a lot of cool shadow based subclasses in the player options, so I'm leaning towards using one of those as a descendent of a noble family ruined by the Inquisition, whose family then turned to shadow magic.

For the Shadow Wizard, the 6th and 10th level features seem a little strange.

1. At 6th, it says

"When you cast a 1st or higher level spell to create the image of an object, creature, or visible phenomenon, you can choose to cast your spell to deal 1d6 psychic damage per spell level at the beginning of every turn of each affected creature."  

That seems to say that each affected creature takes damage at the start of every other affected creatures' turns. Is that right? Then for silent image, if I were to create a swarm of shadowspawn, would that damage be only to those in the 15' cube, adjacent to it, or anyone that can see the illusion?

2. Then at 10th, it says

"As an action, you can choose an evocation spell that deals damage. You cast this spell as an illusion spell using a spell slot equal to the spell level of the chosen spell. Otherwise, the spell works exactly like the original spell. The affected creature must make the saving throws as described in the spell’s description. However, a creature affected by a shadow evocation spell must first make an Intelligence saving throw. On a failed save, the creature believes the spell to be real and takes damage from the spell as normal. On a successful save, the creature takes only half damage."

So if I were to use this for fireball, it would use a 3rd level slot, do half damage on a successful dexterity save, but they make an additional intelligence save to cut that damage in half again? That's a straight nerf compared to just casting fireball and doesn't make sense at all to me. Or do they have to pass both saves to only take half damage? That would be cool and not crazy powerful.

1. Poor wording, the last bit would be easier to understand if you flip it around.... beginning of the affected creature's turn.

Basically, the illusion does psychic damage "at the beginning of their turn" as long as they see it and believe it. Obviously, the illusion should be something that might frighten them or hurt them. i.e. a silent image that shoots arrows at them.

2. If you used it to cast fireball, then the save would be Intelligence instead of Dexterity since it is an illusion, and the damage should be converted to psychic instead of fire. i.e. they perceive the fireball, they feel they got burned by it and then it fades away. Very useful for casting fireball in an area that you don't really want fire damaging objects, etc.

1 minute ago, bwatford said:

1. Poor wording, the last bit would be easier to understand if you flip it around.... beginning of the affected creature's turn.

Basically, the illusion does psychic damage "at the beginning of their turn" as long as they see it and believe it. Obviously, the illusion should be something that might frighten them or hurt them. i.e. a silent image that shoots arrows at them.

2. If you used it to cast fireball, then the save would be Intelligence instead of Dexterity since it is an illusion, and the damage should be converted to psychic instead of fire. i.e. they perceive the fireball, they feel they got burned by it and then it fades away. Very useful for casting fireball in an area that you don't really want fire damaging objects, etc.

Thanks. I think those interpretations make the most sense. Neither are applicable at level 5 but they would be cool things to look forward to.

26 minutes ago, BobtheWizard said:

I think the benefit that counter's the nerf is that you can cast ANY third level damage dealing evocation spell with this class feature. So your third level spell slot could be used to cast a nerfed fireball, lightning bolt, Melf's minute meteors, or shout. So, you lose damage but gain flexility with respect to damage type, range, area of effect, and other spell details. If Billy accepts the feature RAW, then the evocation spells you can duplicate are not limited to Wizard class spells. This would allow you to duplicate Wall of Wind and some paladin smites with a third level spell slot.

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

I think the benefit that counter's the nerf is that you can cast ANY third level damage dealing evocation spell with this class feature. So your third level spell slot could be used to cast a nerfed fireball, lightning bolt, Melf's minute meteors, and shout. So, you lose damage but gain flexility with respect to damage type, range, area of effect, and other spell details. If Billy accepts the feature RAW, then the evocation spells you can duplicate are not limited to Wizard class spells. This would allow you to duplicate Wall of Wind and some paladin smites with a third level spell slot.

The evocation spell has to be a spell he knows obviously, he is just converting it to an illusion, i.e. whatever save it requires converts to Intelligence and damage type converts to psychic because obviously an illusion can't really burn or electrocute you.

Benefit: It doesn't damage the environment, most things are not resistant to psychic damage.

As above, there is obviously a bit of language (wording) issues in some of the material. Please ask for clarification if you are not sure of a feature or power. I also might need to start collecting these clarifications somewhere in the library.

4 minutes ago, bwatford said:

The evocation spell has to be a spell he knows obviously, he is just converting it to an illusion, i.e. whatever save it requires converts to Intelligence and damage type converts to psychic because obviously an illusion can't really burn or electrocute you.

Benefit: It doesn't damage the environment, most things are not resistant to psychic damage.

As usual, I missed the obvious. Heh!