Cult of Cinders OOC

Abberdaggus

Good, Samrod loses easy access to bashing damage that way, but he can shield block again and is that way more durable in a fight. Won't have a free hand for tripping and grabbing though. Perhaps he will have to swap the shield out in case he needs to de-buff a boss.

I discovered Needle Darts when I was playing a magus in Dawnsbury Days the other day. Definitely seemed like a good cantrip for spell strike.

I also discovered the Kineticist feat Timber Sentinel that seemed pretty OP, although it also shut down my kineticist because I was casting a new protector tree on pretty much every turn in a tough fight.

Fun little 2e game. Only took a few sittings to beat the game, but I'll probably replay it with new characters at some point.

@Lycar Great job in filling in with the song. I feel like I might have dropped the ball a bit on crafting my own lyrics, but you more than made up for it. Back when this started, I was swamped with year-end nonsense. Now I'm squarely in my summer break, but still working hard to unwind from a long, exhausting school year. Sending my son off to college next month, too. Wow, life is like a tornado sometimes.

The Protector Tree spell it's based on does the same, but at least it's a rank 1 spell so you can only do a couple a day. Still, our Leshy Summoner in the Strength of Thousands AP was busily building their own grove on campus before they decided the character just wasn't as interesting in play as they'd hoped.

@leons1701 Fortunately, it would seem the players in this game like their toons enough to see them flourish. I can only speak for myself here, obviously, but I also think our PCs have some good 'chemistry' going on, personality wise. Mechanically, they have been working together pretty well so far too.

It does indeed seem that some people rather 'fall in love' with the mechanics rather then the personality, and then get bored easily. Welp, again only speaking for myself here, I just like Fighters because they 'just work', and there is not much you can do wrong there. Other then not starting with an 18 in your accuracy stat, presumably, but who, if not a Fighter, can afford that? And I did not have any complaints about his performance from lv. 1-5. Okay, right now his numbers are on par with a STR/DEX 19 guy, he will fall behind at lv. 10-14 again (and lv. 20 sadly), but so far, the trade-off has been worth it.

If the class had already been released back then, Samrod would probably have started out as a Magus rather then a Fighter/Magic-User, but the idea would still be to go for Dragon Disciple. Without Free Archetype though, Samrod would now have 3 Wizard and one Fighter class feat and pick up Dragon Disciple at lv. 12 the earliest. So I am quite happy Abberdaggus went with Free Archetype. Thanks @Abberdaggus! :orcdance:

Of course it helps that Fighters are so flexible and can change combat styles with little effort. Doubling Rings and Blazons of Power make switching weapons without falling off on runes possible, so switch-hitting is an option. But again, thank you @Abberdaggus for taking that headache off of us! Now Cirmaran might actually need to fight in melee one day and not totally suck on account on having no 'required magical bling' on his back-up-rapier. :orcwink:

Just wondering what the boss fight(s), will be like. If they had a demon guarding their mine, the defence of their stronghold should be tough. We better prepare for our toons being able to, err, tactically withdraw if we get into a fight we can't handle. Also might want to stock up on potions, I doubt we will get much time to heal up between fights.

That said, I am wondering if Samrod should get himself heavy armour for this occasion. It is a bit off-brand for him really, and it slows him down, Longstr... err, Tailwind spell or not. But +1 AC is +1 AC. What do you think?

@ifreedman I have been wondering if I should get Bon Mot for Samrod. I don't really see him as one 'talking smack' to the enemy, but if I want to go get Evangelise and Shameless Request, it would still be in the same vein (and yes, I plan to get Samrod to Master Diplomacy).

The question is, do we have enough things going against Will DC in the party? I mean, in theory Samrod could try to follow up with an Demoralise attempt, especially if he gets that +Intimidation helmet, then any spells targeting Will could really be effective. But I wonder what spells Wilder favours here?