Jump to content

Chapter 2: Exhumation


Whitleyrr

Recommended Posts

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 


 

Alban nicked the thumb of those who agreed with delicate precision, drawing a bead of claret that lady bold against the silvered blade. "Let out intent be sealed in blood, and no creature put asunder what is this bound," he intoned with the adherents, no particular ceremony over it other than drawn by his own solemnity. A twist of power froze the wound atop his own thumb, and he offered a handkerchief to Cordelia should she wish. Task before, he turned to Dalin with a half shrug. "I accept your word, of course. I have always found a certain power in blood - not one easily explained to be true, but a power nonetheless. Still," he continued, taking on an acid note, "far be it for me to advise you on what may or may not provide arcane protection for malus we already have precious wards against." He bit the last word off with a near hiss, before pausing for a moment as if recognising he had perhaps gone too far. When he spoke again, it was with calmer tone once more. "As to the extent of Vadim's powers, I do not think further speculation will lead us anywhere of want at this juncture. We shall learn of them in time I'm sure."


Outside the gate Alban stepped forward alongside Cordelia, presenting a united front to match the guards own. "Indeed, particularly with tales of sorcery at play, I would be concerned iron and steel alone may not suffice if the monster inside Vadim is drawn here." he warned darkly, "It did not at the jail. Let us provide a more arcane defence." He lifted a hand, unfurling his fingers as if cupping an invisible goblet of wine. From the crooked silhouettes of trees around the bottom of his robes a host of ravens took flight, swirling upwards around the fabric, along his voluminous sleeve and issuing forth. As the birds dissipated in wisps of shadow the left behind atop his upturned hand a pale flame, flickering in their wake.

 


OOC

Just using his Glamerweave's 1/day abilityUncommon glamerweave can have the pattern rise from the cloth. For example, a glamerweave gown might be wreathed in harmless, illusory flames, while a glamerweave hat might have illusory butterflies fluttering around it.

When you make a Charisma (Performance) or Charisma (Persuasion) check while wearing the uncommon version of glamerweave, you can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the check. Once you use this property, it can't be used again until the next dawn.
and Minor Illusion to supplement a fancy show really.

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege


 Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3

Sorcery Points 4/4


Actions

  • Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

  • Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

 

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png


AC: 16 | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13


Jozelle sees as the group begins to be surrounded by more guards. Another type of warrior might float their hand to their sword hilt to be at the ready. Instead, Jozelle relaxes more, putting her hands behind her head in a relaxed, casual pose. Another type of adventurer might get a cold look in their eye as a warning. Jozelle's eyes brighten and smile comes to her face.

"Oh, but they do look like such strong, capable, and dare I say interesting men who defend her." At first it appears that Jozelle is undercutting Alban's position, until she leans over and offers a bright smile and friendly wave one direction towards two guards from the woods that circle the lane, trying to stay hidden. She glances to the other side, pretending to be pleasantly surprised and offers a second, shorter wave to two more coming from the other side. "Such tragedy that's befalling this town, but it's good to see its defenders hold strong. Oh." She stops herself as if embarrassed, putting a hand to her mouth.

"Forgive me, there are serious matters to discuss and I'm being such a klutz getting distracted." Outwardly she is spinning the tale of the happy, cheerful maiden who danced among the people, only now dressed different, but still young, naive, and carefree. Inwardly she stands ready to put her blade to any throat that tries to attack them.

The reason she doesn't hold her hand close to her weapon isn't as much to appear harmless, though that certainly is an added benefit. The true reason is she believes herself that much faster that she doesn't need to.

 



Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -


Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -


HD: 4/4d8

     

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The soldiers at the gate relaxed a bit at Cordelia’s introduction before startling before Alban’s display of power. The men in the woods strode forward once Jozelle had seen them, embarrassment marring their otherwise professional visages. The one who had inquired about them spoke again, “Yes. You were expected, though the Lady did not know of you would come now given the additional…developments. Please, come this way.” He stood aside as another soldier unlocked the gate and let them through. As Jozelle passed him he noted, “You’re a surprising little thing aren’t you? I could use someone of your talent, should you find you need work.”

The entrance to the mansion was grand and well kept. They were shown past the foyer and grand staircase into an airy drawing room decorated in a light blue and yellow paisley design. It was the work of moments for the Lady Ittia to arrive. At first glance she was well put together, but the companions’ more cautious eyes noted a haggardness under her eyes, an extra worry line at the corner of her mouth, and more than a few hairs gone astray. Everyone sat when invited and the Lady Ittia addressed them.

”How lovely to see you kind people again. Your attentiveness is very touching to me…” her voice faltered and she began to shake. A sob betrayed her and she held up a hand as if to say she just needed a moment. “Forgive me…” The Lady Ittia seemed unable to go on, but just when Cordelia was about to interject, she managed to rally. “I don’t understand it. I lay awake all night last night wishing he would come to me. Wishing to feel his touch. I’m mortified and yet I long for him, even…even after all. Oh! What is happening to me?”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://i.imgur.com/CThdUja.jpgCordelia Nightshade


Cordelia watched in amazement as Alban demonstrated his powers, the black tendril-like wisps and purple flame captivated her attention. However, she was even more intrigued by Jozelle's quick and seamless shift in character. She couldn't help but wonder which personality or character closest matched Jozelle's true self. Perhaps it was a mix of all or none at all. Despite her curiosity, Cordelia couldn't deny Jozelle's keen senses as she brought the patrolling guardsmen to everyone's attention, a detail Cordelia had completely missed.

Nodding in response to the guardsmen's invitation, Cordelia followed them silently, her eyes taking in every detail of Lady Ittia's domain. The mansion was both elegant and grandiose yet held a certain quaint charm. Memories of her dreams to share such a home with her beloved Zachary briefly swept over her, but she brushed them away as she entered the room, taking a seat but quickly rising again to properly greet Lady Ittia with a warm smile.

Cordelia sat down beside Lady Ittia, gently placing her hands over hers in a comforting gesture if the widow allowed it. Her intense gaze shifted between her companions before settling on the widow. She began speaking, her voice soothing and empathetic, "We understand your feelings of confusion and frustration. We, too, are in the midst of unraveling it all. If it can be of reassurance, please know that we understand your predicament and the conflicted emotions you are experiencing. Your feelings are valid."

She paused, choosing her words carefully as she continued, "You see, Lady Ittia, Vadim... he is not a regular man. He exudes something that draws us all in—something beyond mere charisma and beauty. It's... unnatural. He holds a power over us, drawing us in to the point where we may even go against our true nature, leaving us at his mercy and unable to say no. We believe that the hold he has over you, he has over many who live in this town. Some of us have experienced it firsthand."

Cordelia's words hung in the air, and she glanced towards her companions, particularly Dalin and Alban. Then, she turned her gaze back to Lady Ittia, giving her time to process what had been said and leaving space for her companions to add anything they felt necessary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png


AC: 16 | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13


Jozelle smiles and nods politely at the guard, taking the compliment. "Surprising is one thing I aspire to. I will keep the offer in mind." Jozelle briefly considers the possibility, of what it would be like to be a guard. Then again, there have been a few times when she's been sent to merely observe and be at a place just in case, odd jobs to pass the time and keep her senses sharp as even the most powerful families have only so much dirty work to get done. It would be much like her current life, only without the murder from time to time.

A nice thought. If being an adventurer on the side doesn't work out, then perhaps...

...but being an adventurer on top of her responsibilities is one thing. She cannot be both a loyal guard to one house, and an assassin to another. Not genuinely.

As they enter, Jozelle stays a couple steps back and to the side. It's habit in the presence of nobles. "We believe your late husband was correct when he accused Vadim King of sorcery or some other magic. We are sorry for your loss, and the pain you still endure." There is still more life in her voice, still playing the part she did with the guards, only now being more modest and calm as the situation warrants it. She is less the broken doll, and more an understand acquaintance. "We feared he would come to you first. It is good that you are safe." She looks harder at Lady Ittia as she says the last part, double checking if indeed he hasn't come to her yet.

 



Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -


Action: Insight check
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -


HD: 4/4d8

     

 

 

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Insight check in off chance she's protecting Vadim
20
1d20+3 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dalien


Dalin Ghillison

AC: 16 | HP: 59/59 | Rages: 2/3  | Passive Perception: 12 


Dalin stood at the gates with the others, feeling much like the escort she was, but not minding that role. Cordelia could talk, Alban could pull at shadows and Jozelle was whoever Jozelle summoned into being at the moment. Dalin was a just carvaneer who made a mistake one day on the road. Now, she was in way over her head just trying to make that day and its consequences go away.

Nothing to be done now but pass through the gates, both literally and metaphorically. Accepting that and entering somehow helped relieve a gnawing feeling of helplessness. Following the group deeper into the mansion, Dalin allowed her grubby hand to reach out and tap a railing on the grand staircase. Yep, hard wood... probably oak from inland.

When the Lady appeared and started talking with the group, Dalin listened to the other women and then muttered loudly. "Slokspral"Dwarvish for "demon".

"Maybe not a demon, I don't know... but whatever he is, doesn't seem human to me. Not the way he wormed into my apple." The dwarf tapped a temple. "Some kind of mind magicks that ain't nowhere near natural. If others hadn't being climbing over him already, I would have dropped onto my back right there in the tavern... the very first time he looked at me.

And now, if he's been able to get guards to kill each other? That goes far beyond a driving need to strip down with a stranger."

Dalin lifted her shield arm to palm her forehead a moment and let the arm fall. "Now... we don't know much about King outside of that... just that he came to town about a year ago and folks have a strong reaction to him... and the talk 'bout you and him, course.

But, we do know you've had ghouls in town, least in the graveyard. We found a tooth there... gave it into the guards. Whether that's related to King... beyond me. But if you want our help, you gotta tell us what you know... and there may not be enough time to dance around the bonfire before telling. Direct is best."

Edited by ariel (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 


 

Distracted by his performance, Alban doesn't notice the guards creeping around until Jozelle politely points them out. Whilst he's grateful for her actions, and moreso the subterfuge with which she covers the rest of their failings, he struggles to repress his anger at the self-same shortcomings. So far this quest, and this town, has left him rather acutely aware of his persistent limitations. Which just reinforced his need to acquire this jewel and the steps towards further power it promised.

 

He allowed himself and his entourage, as he'd taken to thinking of them, to be led inside and presented appropriately. He stood rigid and proud as Lady Ittia broke down before them, allowing Cordelia to again be the silken glove into which their marks could fold. In truth despite both Dalin and Cordelia's reassurances of blamelessness, he did find he could fault the Lady for admitting her failing so publicly. Papering over the cracks was a time honoured noble pursuit, one their own family had performed often when visitors came - even if it never completely banished the chill in the air. "Maybe not, but maybe not too far from a beast of Hassatan either," he opined quietly as Dalin spoke of demons.

 


OOC

 

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege


 Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3

Sorcery Points 4/4


Actions

  • Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

  • Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Lady Ittia glanced at each of the companions as they spoke in turn, and each time it was as if something small were breaking within her. The small breaking things all touched each other; each was inextricably linked to the other, and to something much deeper within her. But it was when Dalin spoke that her facade crumbled almost to the point that she did not hear Lord Alban's muttered comment about a "beast of Hassatan." Tears crested her eyelids and ran down her cheeks, a sour rain. A subtle tremble began in her hands and she used one to soothe the other. She brought the quaver in her lips under control and spoke.

"It began just after he arrived in town. I had seen him, of course, a dashing young man that all but compelled the eyes of all to follow him. He was helpful around here, always doing what needed to be done and ingratiating himself into Hethton's flow. He knew who I was before I knew his name it seemed. After a social gathering of some kind, I don't even recall what it was, but when he bade me goodnight he swept up my hand in his and before I knew what was happening, his lips were on my fingers. Uriah never saw it. Vadim is clever like that. Yet despite my fidelity to my husband, my heart all but burst." She broke down for another moment, and waited until the wave passed.

"It wasn't long after that when we began seeing one another. Clandestinely. I knew what we were doing was wrong and hated myself for it every single time. It's not as if Uriah never paid attention to me, either. He did. It was just as if something about Vadim made him irresistible. And he was good. Very good. He made me feel things Uriah never did. But all that was just...just physical. He did nothing for me emotionally. I loved my husband. Love him." Her visage bore the entire weight of decades of relationship, decades of trust. "You must understand that!"

She looked out the window and down the hill. Her head shook and she closed and reopened her eyes before she continued. "The ghoul attacks. They only began recently and as far as I know have nothing to do with Vadim. But, you...you think otherwise? Why? What could possibly connect them?"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dalien


Dalin Ghillison

AC: 16 | HP: 59/59 | Rages: 2/3  | Passive Perception: 12 


Dalin looked confused. "We don't know they are connected, but it's pretty small town to have two such things happen to it together. Unless..." She produced a lop-sided and gap-toothed smile. "Unless you're telling us this kind of stuff normal for Hethton? You got vampire street sweepers and cider-making imps too?"

Returning to a more serious tone. "As for what happened between you and Vadim... it's a path walked and you can't unwalk it. All you can do is to try to keep off the grass from now on and do what's right. Would the Captain want you to help find King... and maybe help prove it wasn't your fault by revealing him as... well... whatever he is?

So, if there's anything you know... about King or about the town that might help? Why do you think he did what he did to the Captain? And... did he take you anywhere... special... like, on the sly? Maybe he's holed up somewhere?" Dalin looked for a moment, like she was going to keep talking, but glanced at her companions first in case her mouth was moving faster than her thoughts. It had happened to her before and it would happen again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ittia considered Dalin’s words, and muttered, “…a path walked….”

She glanced wistfully out the window, but as for what she was recalling there was no telling. “He took me often to the woods. There was something so primal about it that even now my blood runs hot just for saying it out loud. I don’t want to talk about that.” She paused again, considering. “My Uriah was a careful man, a good soldier. A wonderful husband. But perhaps above all, and this is what made his such a successful captain, he understood his men. He knew what drove them. When we…when we…argued…the first time about Vadim, he said that the man didn’t want me for me, not the way Uriah himself did. He said Vadim was after something else for some other purpose. Uriah shook me to get me to tell him what it was, who this man was, but I didn’t know! I didn’t know. Oh!” She broke down again, her tears falling freely as the memory overtook her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://i.imgur.com/CThdUja.jpgCordelia Nightshade


Perhaps she should have come in the company of Alban alone. Cordelia couldn't help but shoot a glare in Dalin's direction. She felt that her companion was insensitively bombarding the fragile Lady Ittia with too much information and questions all at once. Broaching the topic of ghouls was premature in her opinion, and despite the urgency of their situation, Cordelia believed they should take it one step at a time. The lady was undoubtedly clouded by strong emotions and was barely holding it together. It was not that Dalin's questions were not the right ones, but rather, she was simply not blessed with the same delicate touch as herself. Cordelia raised a hand in Dalin's direction as a sign to momentarily halt her from pressing further.

"Our sincerest apologies, Lady Ittia," Cordelia's voice held a soft, reassuring tone as she broke through Lady Ittia's sobs. "We understand that this is all a lot to process during this most challenging time. We do not wish to overstep by pressing you, and if you ever feel uncomfortable or want to change the topic, we will respect your choice. However, we do feel that time is of the essence because of Vadim's escape."

"Firstly, I would like to clarify that we do not question your love for your husband, and you do not have to defend yourself in this regard," Cordelia continued. "Unlike the followers of Nulemti in this town, we will not shame you, we will not abandon you, and we believe the words you speak. We know it is not easy, but please do not feel guilty or loathe yourself for something you had entirely no choice in. I am not denying the things that you feel and felt for Vadim, but they are not emotions that stem from yourself. They are emotions that Vadim forced upon you. It is likely that even those with the strongest will would have fallen victim to his manipulation, even the late Captain Uriah himself."

"You said that Captain Uriah knew what drove his men, and it seems that, much like ourselves, he strove to figure out what drives Vadim," Cordelia explained. "We must decipher his motivations if we are to defeat him. We wish to bring justice to the captain and free all those who live under his grasp."

Cordelia leaned forward slightly, her gaze focused on Lady Ittia. "As Jozelle has mentioned, the Captain's final words were a accusation of sorcery. Can you elaborate what would lead the Captain to believe this? When you spent time with Vadim, did he mention anything about his previous life, his occupation or his decision to come to Hethton? Has he ever been inside this home?" She paused, offering a sincere and empathetic smile. "Again, apologies for the questions. If there are any you cannot answer, perhaps you could allow us to speak with Captain Uriah's men? By better understanding Vadim and the situation, we can better protect this town and its people."

OOC

Rolling Insight to see if lady Ittia is sincere in her answers

Name
Insight
9
1d20+2 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alban Lord Stuart - Human Shadow Sorcerer Credit: KuraiGeijutsu

AC: 14  | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 11 (Darkvision 120ft) | HD: 3/3 | Inspiration 0/1 


 

Alban listened carefully to the increasingly distraught Lady Ittiah melt under Dalin's interrogation. He assumed the dwarf hadn't meant to be so severe, but simply lacked the tact to be otherwise. She'd never shown any tendency towards secret secret police stylings. He covered a smile, refocusing on the information hidden in the tears. "So Uriah had thought Vadim may not want Lady Ittia for herself..." he mused silently, "though if he knew the value of what he held, or simply assumed the man a philanderer we'll not know. Or not till the quest is complete I suppose, at which point it will not matter."

 

"Indeed, I've always found love and lust to be quite different emotions," Alban opined, hoping to calm the Lady somewhat. "One does not detract from the other, and Vadim's domain was most certainly lust rather than anything true. Whilst enchantment is disturbing, it can only manipulate the superficial, lingering as it may be," he reassured.

 


OOC

 

Stat Block

Imperial (variant) Human Sorcerer 4

Languages Common, Elven

Background Noble Background Feature Position of Privilege


 Str 11 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 20

Proficiency Bonus +2 Saving Throws Con, Cha

Speed 30

Tools Calligrapher's Tools

Spell Attack Bonus +7 | Spell Save DC 15 | Spell Slots L1 4/4 ; L2 3/3

Sorcery Points 4/4


Actions

  • Dagger +6 to hit for [1d4+4] piercing damage | Light, Finesse, Thrown 20/60
  • Light Crossbow +6 to hit for [1d8+4] piercing damage | Loading, Two-handed, 80/320
  • Mind Sliver DC15 INT Sv for [1d6] psychic damage | V, one creature, 60ft | -1d4 next saving throw
  • Frostbite DC15 CON Sv for [1d6] cold damage | VS, one creature, 60ft | disadvantage next weapon attack roll
  • Chill Touch +7 to hit for [1d8] necrotic damage | VS, one creature, 120ft | can't regain hitpoints until the start of your next turn, if undead disadvantage on attacks targeting you

Bonus Actions

Reactions

  • Shield [Hit by an attack / targeted by Magic Missile]

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dalien


Dalin Ghillison

AC: 16 | HP: 59/59 | Rages: 2/3  | Passive Perception: 12 


Dalin was staring at the woman, still puzzled. Why is she crying so much?  She shifted her weight from one foot to the other and back again, becoming very uncomfortable with the sobbing. I hadn't said anything meanly... just facts... none of it is her fault, why is she leaking so much? Could she be faking?

We should ask about the amulet... I could... but is that gonna make her cry more? The dwarf took a deep breath and held it. She sought her own comfort by looking about the room. Her eyes settled on the window and she considered the weather for a moment. Nice day... for a walk in the woods perhaps? If we can get her to settle down enough to give some directions. She glanced at the woman and then back to the window. Better give her a minute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jozelle - Human (Rogue/Monk)

spacer.png


AC: 16 | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +8 | Passive Perception: 13


Jozelle is content with the situation, which is off considering the grief and distress in the moment. Still, Jozelle did legitimately worry for Lady Ittia's safety, and with that, at least for the moment, assured, she begins to slowly move about the room with her light steps glancing about the decor, the furniture, anything of interest. It's far less about searching for any clues, and more to keep her mind occupied while Cordelia and Alban comfort and seek more information out of the noblewoman.

The assassin's already had some thoughts about how to deal with Vadim that's been so far left unspoken. And she intends to keep it unspoken. Since it's becoming more and more likely that the man has some sort of magic or other power to enchant others, it begs the questions if those already touched will be themselves when it counts? For all of Alban's aura of revenge, and for Dalin's sobering concern... will they be strong in the face of him again?

Yes, Jozelle has her own answer to the question, but for as much as she's been willing to share much with her companions, this one she keeps close to the chest.

 



Mechanics

Main Hand: - (Rapier at hip)
Off Hand: -


Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -


HD: 4/4d8

     

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a great heaving sigh, Ittia looked at Alban and then Cordelia. “You think I was bewitched? Perhaps Uriah did as well. But, on my honor, or the shreds of it that remain, I cannot hide behind that to deflect my shame. I…I did treated Uriah horribly after all he’s ever done, all he’s always been for me, and I trod upon it all for a few rolls in the hay. I am disgraced.” She got up from her seat and walked to a window, looking out so as to not have to meet their faces. “Vadim was never here, no. I would not have brought him here, though he begged me to do so. He had a strange fascination with my jewelry. He always wanted me to put on my finest jewelry and…and nothing else. Every time I met him I wore a different piece and he adored it, adored me. Agh! I am such a fool. He always said, “Next time wear your best!” It was always next time, next time. Again. Again. The things…the things I did! I cannot bear the memory.” She brought her hand up to her mouth and shook.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...