Lore/Mechanics for DM questions - Myth-Weavers

Lore/Mechanics for DM questions

Would it be possible for a Rogue to serve in the Emerald Guard as punishment for their crimes instead of getting executed or imprisoned for life, etc?

Could sea elves become pirates?

Hi DM, I'm really interested in this game and I like the whole concept and I'm coming up with a Healing Light Cleric but I have a serious question about the Healing Light Domain, It states

Quote:
Bonus Proficiency Replaced with Bonus Cantrip from the Light domain. Loses proficiency in Shields.
If this is a replacement of bonus proficiency shouldn't it be gain the light domain bonus cantrip and lose Life Domain's proficiency in Heavy Armor. because shields is a universal proficiency for all clerics and it kinda countering the lore behind the domain in which it says they forgo the heavy armor that life clerics use. Is this a typo or mistake in the Silverstone PHB or am I just hoping that it is one when it's not and my cleric will lose access to physical shields

Also on the lore side of things would a Healing Light Cleric be apart of this Emerald Guard or would that be more a Life Cleric's thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
How long ago did Crystal Empire crumble? Is it possible for an elf to be from those times?
Ah! You've asked something that I should have spelled out in the Player's Handbook but I neglected! Well done.

Unfortunately, no. The current year is 1182 Split Empire, which refers to the fall of the Crystal Empire 1182 years ago. I will add a section to the Player's Handbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Angel Haruki View Post
Would it be possible for a Rogue to serve in the Emerald Guard as punishment for their crimes instead of getting executed or imprisoned for life, etc?

Could sea elves become pirates?
It would seem more likely that someone set to be executed would be perhaps forced to serve in the regular army as opposed to the Emerald Guard. The level of trust given to the Emerald Guard in protecting the Imperial line would seem to rule out someone who'd committed crimes worthy of death, but maybe if that person had important enough family connections or something along those lines it wouldn't be impossible, it would depend. So maybe?

As far as Sea Elves becoming pirates, I don't see why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTAgentKC View Post
Hi DM, I'm really interested in this game and I like the whole concept and I'm coming up with a Healing Light Cleric but I have a serious question about the Healing Light Domain, It states

If this is a replacement of bonus proficiency shouldn't it be gain the light domain bonus cantrip and lose Life Domain's proficiency in Heavy Armor. because shields is a universal proficiency for all clerics and it kinda countering the lore behind the domain in which it says they forgo the heavy armor that life clerics use. Is this a typo or mistake in the Silverstone PHB or am I just hoping that it is one when it's not and my cleric will lose access to physical shields

Also on the lore side of things would a Healing Light Cleric be apart of this Emerald Guard or would that be more a Life Cleric's thing.
Ah, it is not a typo. The Healing Light domain was invented by a player for what she intended as a very pacifist, almost cloistered cleric ala 3.5 sort of character. It was meant to forego some combat stuff for the more healing focused abilities of the domain. Meant to represent the priestesses known as Luminarans that are responsible for keeping the flames lit in all of the Elishtar Temples.

Given this, it would probably make more sense for a Life Cleric to be in the Emerald Guard, as opposed to a Healing Light Cleric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koradin_Soulforge View Post
Unfortunately, no. The current year is 1182 Split Empire, which refers to the fall of the Crystal Empire 1182 years ago. I will add a section to the Player's Handbook.
Thanks. Another bunch of question:
Are Emperors and Imperial bloodline humans? How long the current one has been on the throne? How long did the previous Emperor rule? Is half-elf's lifespan enough to serve two or three Emperors? Just juggling ideas here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
Thanks. Another bunch of question:
Are Emperors and Imperial bloodline humans? How long the current one has been on the throne? How long did the previous Emperor rule? Is half-elf's lifespan enough to serve two or three Emperors? Just juggling ideas here.
Yes, the Imperial line is human. The best analogy I can make is that of when the Romans took over Greece, so the nobility became Roman but would start to mingle with the local Greeks,

So humans from the Crystal Empire took over Elven lands, and over time mingled - but the ruling dynasty would be a human one. They have half-elf relatives given the proximity, but the ruling dynasty would be careful to keep the bloodline.

And yes, a half elf (150 ish years) would be a plenty long enough life to have served multiple emperors. The current emperor is in his mid 40's, a half elf could have realistically served him and one other, perhaps came into his position at the end of the grandfather's reign (if that makes sense) to have technically served 3 emperors.

If the current Emperor is in his 40s, how old was he when he succeeded to the throne? Did the previous Emperor die young(ish)?

Perhaps the previous Emperor did die relatively young - say, about ten years ago. He, along with several family members, was conducting a procession - seeing and being seen by the border provinces of the Empire. While in northern Blueriver, he chose to accompany the garrison when they rode out to deal with a Pahlawani raiding force. During the battle, the Emperor and his personal Emerald Guard force came under attack by a separate, ambushing Pahlawani band;
*coughWargateGraffcoughcough*
a young cavalry officer from the garrison managed to turn a detachment away from the main battle and ride to the rescue of the Imperial train, arriving just too late to save the Emperor himself but preserving the rest of the Imperial family.

Does that seem workable?