Quick questions and answers - Page 1327 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothmar View Post
Im guessing hexblades 'accursed spectre' ability just summons a specter in the visage of the slain opponent correct?
Yup, just a vanilla Monster Manual CR1 specter

Quote:
Does the 'thirsting blade' invocation stack with extra attack feature and make it work like recieving EA from two different classes?
Nada. See here.

Thanks Valsai / Dalar.

Avaday - I had a chuckle contemplating the rest portion of the ring of sustenance on a dragon wondering if it quartered the 'hibernation' periods. ie - sleep for 25 years instead of 100 etc.

Quote:
Avaday - I had a chuckle contemplating the rest portion of the ring of sustenance on a dragon wondering if it quartered the 'hibernation' periods. ie - sleep for 25 years instead of 100 etc.
Well, bugger. I shouldn't have put a ring of sustenance on the Tarrasque, then.
In my defense, I thought it would make it less inclined to devour things.

Anyway!
3.5/Pathfinder:
Spider Climb lets a character climb on walls and ceilings without any need for a Climb check, but it requires the user to keep their hands free for climbing, and it's only 20 ft. movement.
Are there any similar spells that let someone move faster and keep their hands free? Allowing for upside down fights on the ceiling?

(Although it'd be pretty situational, since Fly is available just one level later...although said Fly lasts for a minute per level, so maybe something that lasts longer would be more useful underground? And it'd be cool to do wall jumps...)

There is the Earth Walk psionic power in Races of Stone that does something pretty similar to what you want. It is only level 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaday Daydream View Post
Well, bugger. I shouldn't have put a ring of sustenance on the Tarrasque, then.
In my defense, I thought it would make it less inclined to devour things.

It'd probably just kill cause it's bored instead of hungry then.
Though with its magical defenses, I wonder if you could equip it with items... Now im curious, anyone know if you could bard/equip magic items to a Tarasque with its magical defenses? ie would they be on but just not functional?

In D&D 3.5 the tarrasque is perfectly capable of wearing and benefiting from magic items, as well as many types of beneficial spells. Not sure if they changed that in PF or 5e though.

Yeah if I consider how humanoid SR entities can easily wear magic items it makes sense. Not like it has a constant spell turning effect...

Maybe i'll make this a thread.

--------

Can someone use the sending spell to give someone in the afterlife a piece of information? albeit at a 5% chance of failure unless you go to their afterlife plane.

I thought I remembered somewhere that speak with dead is only a facsimile and you're not actually talking to them so anything besides questions is basically ignored.

It probably depends a lot on the plane and afterlife involved. Some afterlives (like becoming a dretch or lemur, the lowest levels of demons and devils respectively) involve the erosion or destruction of the self. Others have petitioners essentially intact and on another plane waiting to be judged. Deific realms often have a high degree of divine morphism, so sometimes spells/communication/travel is impeded.

But, if the local conditions are agreeable and the dead person still has enough of themself left that they can still be called themselves, I don't see why you couldn't do a Sending to an afterlife plane.

Pathfinder and 3.5 differ on Speak with Dead--the former
Pathfinder
The soul can only speak about what it knew in life. It cannot answer any questions that pertain to events that occurred after its death.
says you're speaking to the dead creature's soul, the latter
D&D 3.5
This spell does not let you actually speak to the person (whose soul has departed). It instead draws on the imprinted knowledge stored in the corpse.
specifically says you're not.

Quote:
Can someone use the sending spell to give someone in the afterlife a piece of information? albeit at a 5% chance of failure unless you go to their afterlife plane.
RAW, this is a No. A creature ceases to be a creature when it dies. Unless there is a creature entry for a Soul (like it does for Spectres and the like), it cannot be targeted by Sending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyWulf View Post
RAW, this is a No. A creature ceases to be a creature when it dies. Unless there is a creature entry for a Soul (like it does for Spectres and the like), it cannot be targeted by Sending.
Upon death acreature's soul reconstitutes on the plane of it's diety (or the one most matching its alignment) as a Petitioner [Manual of the Planes p. 199], which is a creature and no less a legitimate target of the sending spell.