Quick questions and answers - Page 1328 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold King View Post
Upon death acreature's soul reconstitutes on the plane of it's diety (or the one most matching its alignment) as a Petitioner [Manual of the Planes p. 199], which is a creature and no less a legitimate target of the sending spell.
Then that covers my clause "unless there's a creature entry". Sending would then work for whichever GM/game system/game version uses this Petitioner/Manual of the Planes.

3.5 D&D:

So...the spell Clone requires a piece of flesh from a creature's living body, and uses it to create a body-and-mind clone of the original (though it's only alive if the original is dead); essentially, it's an arcane resurrection spell.

The spell Shapechange allows you to change into ANY creature, and it explicitly states that parts of your body that are separated from you don't return to their original forms.

And the spell Reincarnate on the druid list gives precedent for coming back as other races, even ones with significant attribute boosts and racial hit dice.

...So anyone who's tried this, how'd it work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaday Daydream View Post
3.5 D&D:

So...the spell Clone requires a piece of flesh from a creature's living body, and uses it to create a body-and-mind clone of the original (though it's only alive if the original is dead); essentially, it's an arcane resurrection spell.

The spell Shapechange allows you to change into ANY creature, and it explicitly states that parts of your body that are separated from you don't return to their original forms.

And the spell Reincarnate on the druid list gives precedent for coming back as other races, even ones with significant attribute boosts and racial hit dice.

Seems like it should work, I'd probably allow it.

I'd also allow whatever LA the monster has to land squarely on the shoulders of the character (possibly modified for the creature not having its normal SLAs).

Thanks for the sending ruling.

Now I can make sure a cultist I killed a few minutes ago has one less regret / obsession in the abyss by telling them what the spice was on the venison at our local tavern I noticed them talking about in a journal. #HighLevelWhims

-------
Dnd 3.5 / Pathfinder
Now im interested in the clone spell...

What happens if there are multiple clones of the same person? Is it just a matter of which one the soul chooses to inhabit and if so how conscious of that decision is the spirit? Like does a spirit get to see the clone/area ; or does it become a % chance you end up in an ambush clone (im assuming this is gm discretion) ; Or is it clones are inhabited in order they were produced?

ex: If player/villian gets a sample of the other and knows they use the clone spell as an 'in case of screw up' contingency and thus it wouldn't be suspicious that a clone is available to inhabit if they die etc. (naturally they'd probably trap it further so the individual is imprisoned/kept from killing themselves etc)

Afterall it's a no save / sr spell and can be a clone of anyone you get a sample of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaday Daydream View Post
3.5 D&D:

You're better off just using Shapechange as needed. The above would necessitate (for a competent DM!) a complete rebuild of the character as you're now Creature X.

Er, actually at no point do you gain the Type of the creature your Alter Self, Polymorph, or Shapechange into. Reincarnate would bring you back as a member of your Type. So if you're Human be default, you'd roll on the Humanoids table, not whatever monstrosity you've shifted into. Nice thought though.

edit: Also of note,
...A creature that has been turned into an undead creature or killed by a death effect can’t be returned to life by this spell. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be reincarnated. The spell cannot bring back a creature who has died of old age.
SRD This eliminates some of the better Shapechange options in case you convinced your DM to let this work.

Polymorph specifically states your type changes. And Shapechange inherits that same wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithamar View Post
Polymorph specifically states your type changes. And Shapechange inherits that same wording.

Edit: crap, how did I miss that? lol. Ahem, nothing to see here.
Edit II: If I have to get schooled on a rules thing, at least it was Ithamar

You know, I had a kobold wizard character once, called Wyrvil. He believed (not entirely without reason) that he was a great dragon trapped in a kobold body, and set out to research a way to turn himself back to normal.

Hmm...how much would a device that turns its user into an adult gold dragon, instantaneously (so no dispelling, antimagic, duration, etc), be worth?
It'd be like a permanently-effective Shapechange (so something like 9*23*3000, divided by 2 because limited to one (powerful) form, so 310,500 GP...), plus some kind of Disjunction-and-everything-else-proof (at an estimate, about the same price as a thingy of Disjunction so 9*17*2000 or 306,000 GP)...

Is 616,500 GP a fair price for going from kobold (or elf or whatever) to full-on dragon? While still retaining their epic spellcasting abilities? Or is that just too much?
I wonder what the rules are for trading wealth-by-level for level adjustment, anyway?

Savage Species has rules for Rituals that can change your base race. Not sure if it covers such a conversion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowbane View Post
Edit II: If I have to get schooled on a rules thing, at least it was Ithamar