This week in video games... - Page 101 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Knowing they're written that way on purpose doesn't change the fact that they're completely unlikable. Don't get me wrong, unlikabl characters can still be captivating and meaningful when the point of a work is to showcase that. The appeal of those movies is a glimpse or study into the minds of some reprehensible behavior. See: A Clockwork Orange.

But Farcry 3... the appeal to that game isn't really a study of some privileged kids dealing with trauma and such. It's running around the island exploding jeeps and taking bases and dealing with Vaas (i.e. the one compelling character in the entire game, and somehow more likable than any of the 'good guys'). The plot just gets in the way of you wanting to get to the second island and do more damage, or unlock more neat guns, and so on. Hell, I'd say even Farcry 2 has it beat. For all its faults and as bad as the malaria thing could sometimes be, it all still got in the way a lot less than in 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker817 View Post
Knowing they're written that way on purpose doesn't change the fact that they're completely unlikable. Don't get me wrong, unlikabl characters can still be captivating and meaningful when the point of a work is to showcase that. The appeal of those movies is a glimpse or study into the minds of some reprehensible behavior. See: A Clockwork Orange.

But Farcry 3... the appeal to that game isn't really a study of some privileged kids dealing with trauma and such. It's running around the island exploding jeeps and taking bases and dealing with Vaas (i.e. the one compelling character in the entire game, and somehow more likable than any of the 'good guys'). The plot just gets in the way of you wanting to get to the second island and do more damage, or unlock more neat guns, and so on. Hell, I'd say even Farcry 2 has it beat. For all its faults and as bad as the malaria thing could sometimes be, it all still got in the way a lot less than in 3.
I gotta agree with you on this one. I played a bunch of FarCry3, but never finished it because the plot was half-baked and made zero sense. I just wanted to run around the jungle for a bit and blow stuff up... and to be honest, if that's what I wanted, I should have stuck with Just Cause 2. FC3 was ok, but the gameplay did not make up for the crappy story.

So basically what I'm getting out of this is that Farcry 3, is a Saints Row 4 with a bad plot and no superpowers.

All the more reason for me to not buy it.

More like Saints Row 4 with no superpowers.

Unless you consider the ability to keep dislocating your thumb without losing the ability to use said thumb a superpower.

Far Cry 3 had alright plot, but hell, it had actual character development. People rag on the kids and how they acted, but that's how some people really are. Hate them or not, but some people are idiots. That part was intentional. And yet, you play someone who's in a position to help his friends, to get them off the island. You have no military training and are basically scavenging for better tools and weapons, learning to hide and ambush his enemies effectively, and adapting to the situation to pull out ahead with his friends alive and intact. It's a great game. Vaas as a villain is spectacular. Jason really struggles with every challenges that he faces. The story does fall a bit flat, but I enjoyed my time with it.

Though that guy with the tattoo was so damn annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishra View Post
Though that guy with the tattoo was so damn annoying.
That really narrows it down The German guy? Or Dennis, the guy from the first village? Or one of the idiot kids?

For the record, as much as I'm ragging on the story I DID enjoy Farcry 3 overall. I basically just tore through the story to get the second island and did literally nothing else storywise, but taking over the bases and doing the hunting stuff and so on was still quite entertaining, and I ultimately don't regret my purchase one bit.

At the same time, though... you could do most of the same things in Blood Dragon, while enjoying an 80s homage utterly silly plot. =p