This week in video games... - Page 614 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Yeah, that'd be pretty cool, although, has a CoD game ever even acknowledged the existence of German resistance to the Nazis? I mean, there were several assassination attempts on Hitler throughout his life. Hell, the last Wolfenstein was all about a fictional version in an alternate reality where for some reason either Jimi Hendrix or a gender bent version of Nikola Tesla was a member...

Nah, I don't think they have.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was a pretty cool game. Though having watched The Man in the High Castle recently, I think that is a far more proper representation of what would the world would've looked like if the Axis had won. Yes, I realise I'm comparing a more realistic version to a world in which there are nazi robotic dogs .

Either way, CoD/BF's treatment of WW2 needs a shake up as far as characters and protagonists go. They're all pretty much the same each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytebio View Post
Nah, I don't think they have.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was a pretty cool game. Though having watched The Man in the High Castle recently, I think that is a far more proper representation of what would the world would've looked like if the Axis had won. Yes, I realise I'm comparing a more realistic version to a world in which there are nazi robotic dogs .

Either way, CoD/BF's treatment of WW2 needs a shake up as far as characters and protagonists go. They're all pretty much the same each time.
Well, yeah, I mean, protagonists... Aside from IW has there even been a CoD where the protagonist was a character? In MW2 you spend most of the game with Soap as your designated door opener, but then in the last few missions he reverts to a mute killamajig the instant you start playing as him. Even mister No Russian actually speaks a few lines in the cutscene after his first mission.

Like I said. Hollywood's version of World War Two, is very black and white.

And probably justified being that way too, considering if someone tried to write a story that portrayed the actual politics and complexity of the war, rather than "Axis evil, Allies good, go defeat the evil Hitler", it would probably cause a very big headache for marketing in the press.

It is understandable given the nature of the sides. Though the Soviet Union would go on to be arguably far worse than Nazi Germany in terms of body count and oppression, making a video game where you play a Wermacht soldier or something who doesn't end up going AWOL or resenting the Nazi administration would get slammed as an endorsement of fascism. This would massively change the nature of the campaign, as you'd probably have to do what I mention before in a prior post.

For the average CoD game where it's all about big shoot ups every level, it might be too constraining.

Not to mention a AAA publisher like Activision would rather shoot itself in the groin than court such controversy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytebio View Post
It'd be cool to play a German soldier on the Eastern front who learns what's happening in the camps, and so goes AWOL to join the Grman resistance and help the allies.
Or just a German Wehrmacht soldier that's shuffled into various front's starting from their triumphant beginning in squashing Poland and France that gives an aura of arrogance/supremacy in their ideology and then watch that slowly crumble as the campaign marches on and their fortune reverses.

Culminating in a series of fall back actions against the indomitable soviet advance. Trying desperately to slow them down so other units and civilians can surrender/throw themselves at the mercy of the western allies before they're completely overrun.

Bonus points if the typical call of duty themes are still applied.

Well I suppose you could make a game where you start off in the depression, and you can witness first-hand how a civilised, decent people can be seduced by a monstrous regime because of the desperation of your circumstances, only to be faced by the consequences and trying to pull away from it. But this is a Call of Duty game we're talking about haha. They're not Citizen Kane. But something a bit more thought-provoking is possible with the time-periods they're using.

I would just like a World War 2 game that is willing to show some of the horrors that the Allies did, rather than portray them as 100% pure and good people. I mean people do remember the Superman "Slap a Jap" comic and the internment camps in Canada and the USA right?

I have no problem with the Nazis being shown as evil, I'd just prefer that we stop making the Allies into pure and holy saints.

I'm not sure how something like that would play out though, in the grand scheme of things. World War 2 was, for many, the last war with a clearly discernible good and bad side. Now, this isn't necessarily true if you get into the details (i.e the Soviet Union, Japanese interment, nuclear bombing, the bombing of Dresden etc and then future wars against the communist north koreans and viet cong and sudam hussein etc), but as far as Big Picture stuff goes it is. Because of that, WW2 had a massive psychologica impact on the Western world from which we've never recovered, and given the heinous evil committed by the Nazi's and Japanese (just look up Unit 731, truly horrifying stuff), divergence from that in media like video games comes under a particular scrutiny that most publishers would rather avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Goddess View Post
I would just like a World War 2 game that is willing to show some of the horrors that the Allies did, rather than portray them as 100% pure and good people. I mean people do remember the Superman "Slap a Jap" comic and the internment camps in Canada and the USA right?

I have no problem with the Nazis being shown as evil, I'd just prefer that we stop making the Allies into pure and holy saints.
Don't worry, it seems like quite a few comics were taking advantage of their characters beating up enemy leaders.

I doubt you'll find any takers on a game that's made to demonize the victors of conflict. Especially if you can't make it "engaging" to the player. What are they suppose to play, the internment camp guard?

A bomber pilot that won't ever see how they flattened Dresden without photos of the after the fact? The firebombing campaigns against Japan?

I don't even know the genre that it would take barring games like Europa universalis series. Even then it'll just be in note cards of decisions you make.