This week in video games... - Page 713 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

If they go the Empire route of having several scenarios, that could work. They already have flying units, though a small number of them, so, air units could be an ability perhaps, and they have heroes and LL in TW which would work in TW40K, I think it is viable, but I don't think they will tackle it anytime soon. Cover would need to be reworked and many other factors, but it could be something we several years down the line.

I think the primary thing that wouldn't work about it is that some of the armies, such as Space Marines, would be sort of tiny relative to the army size Total War tends to work with. Otherwise it'd probably work better than you might expect, simply because 40k is a universe which loves it some melee combat and swarms, and oftentimes defensive emplacements for at least some of the races.

That reminds me, the new Stellaris DLC (and the new huge 2.0 game revamp) is out.

So it's been a few weeks, any experience with FFXII The Zodiac Age on PC? I mean, besides perfectly legit complaints about Denuvo and how awful it can be. It's always been the FF I wanted to go back to but just couldn't find the motivation due to its oldness compared to other things on my very long backlog list, and as one of the very few jRPGs I like the english cast of (mostly), I'd like to bounce between the dual audio and compare and contrast for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker817 View Post
I think the primary thing that wouldn't work about it is that some of the armies, such as Space Marines, would be sort of tiny relative to the army size Total War tends to work with. Otherwise it'd probably work better than you might expect, simply because 40k is a universe which loves it some melee combat and swarms, and oftentimes defensive emplacements for at least some of the races.
Space Marines wouldn't be their own army, but rather a unit type under the Imperium of Man as a whole. While the Imperial Guard are great troops for numbers, the Astartes can function as an elite corps in an army. The biggest issue would be the logistical aspect of it; the Imperium requires Forge Worlds to produce their larger weapons of war, while factions like the Eldar and Dark Eldar would simply produce it on a Craftworld/Commorragh (which would likely require numerous upgrades to balance it). Factions like the 'nids would simply devour the planet for an incredibly high amount of resources, and then remove it from play from anyone else. Things like that throw the huge wrenches into the warfare that 40k embodies; some factions you can physically blockade (like the Imperium, Chaos, Tau, etc; as you can't exit Warp too close to a gravity well without some kind of device akin to the... whatever it's called within The Rock. Tuchala Device, I believe), while groups like the Eldar and Dark Eldar just show up where they please through the Webway.

It would be an interesting and difficult thing to tackle, no doubt. Yet, given how Relic proved they can't do it, I'm more than confident that they'll be able to take a crack at it and make it work. Even if it's not perfect, it'll be able to be modded to make it work just right.

Having played most of the Total War games, Crusaders Kings 2, and Stellaris, I'd say that Crusader Kings 2 has the best potential for Warhammer 40K. Most of the factions have a strong feudalistic feel of CK2, with the 'nids well represented by nomads. Stellaris is more Star Trek than WH40K or Star Wars. The total war group hasn't done guns well, and in 40K most things shoot. While guns can be done in the total war engines (I think milkandcookiesTW has a few videos of firearms based battles), other systems and game styles have done it better. Part of the problem is that you can't shoot through your own men, and the scale of total war games makes maneuvering your troops to create proper firing lines hectic. That most melee troops also have ranged weapons complicates things as well. How to make 40K work using the Total War system could be its own thread.

I would never play WH40K in CK2 style, I mean, for me the idea is seeing those battles up close, each unit being improved upon, having veterans and such, and the constant warfare.

I got CK2 and a ton of other games from that company in a recent humble bundle and I honestly hated most of them. Stellaris was the great though.

Don’t know if it’s been said yet but I’m looking forward to Jurassic world evolution, anyone else?
This remake of operation genesis sounds really good right about now

I'm gonna say that perhaps it was a small detail, but the guy who throws his stuff at the T-Rex to save his mate, he was the real hero.

RIP random guy.