This week in video games... - Page 715 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Any Ni No Kuni fans? The second one came out today. I've never played the others so I thought I'd just buy this one and go but.. what kind of game are these? People keep saying 'jRPG' but those people tend to define jRPG as 'any RPG from Japan' when that's not usually what people mean when they ask for jRPGs. Dark Souls is not a jRPG in my book, for example.

The video I've seen suggests it may be more of a Tales of style RPG which combat is much more active. I'm having a hard time getting a peg on what kind of game I might be buying here...

Kind of tales mixed with a Miyazaki like world/setting mixed with Pokemon (kinda). Not sure if Ni No Kuni 2 keeps the recruiting monsters part...but would be surprised if it didn't.

I had the first and played it along side my 7yo. First, it's an absolutely beautiful game. Just gorgeous. I did not like the combat aspect of it, due to the swap mechanic. You control only the PC or one of the pets and switch out as they get hurt. It's real time with an action meter sort of thing and you get other NPCs to join you later in the story. I didn't play it all the way through myself, but my kid loved it (and yeah, I'm going to have to buy II for him too). There is a much stronger story element and going about solving other people's problems. There was also the undercurrent of death in the real world ready to play on the heart strings, but it's Studio Ghibli so you can expect nothing less.

So, beautiful world, endearing characters, strong story focus, death. I expect the same from 2.

I'd given up, thought it would become vaporware like Pathfinder Online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Saint View Post
Any Ni No Kuni fans? The second one came out today. I've never played the others so I thought I'd just buy this one and go but.. what kind of game are these? People keep saying 'jRPG' but those people tend to define jRPG as 'any RPG from Japan' when that's not usually what people mean when they ask for jRPGs. Dark Souls is not a jRPG in my book, for example.

The video I've seen suggests it may be more of a Tales of style RPG which combat is much more active. I'm having a hard time getting a peg on what kind of game I might be buying here...
The first one was a little shallow from what I had played (originally picked it up for my wife in a weak attempt to get her into RPGs), but the new one is looking a little more action focused than the first. From what I've read, they've dropped the Pokemon summoner shtick from the first game and shifted into a little more action-RPG. Which looks a lot better that way.
I believe comparing it to the Tales games would be somewhat accurate.

BTW, the most common definition of JRPG is 1) an RPG from Japan (duh) and 2) fairly linear in design and story. Story-telling is a major focus of JRPGs (not unlike visual novels lol). If you've played any of the Final Fantasy games, or even the Tales series, you'd be familiar with most JRPGs. And yes, I agree - Dark Souls is not a JRPG, just a hack-n-slasher with mild RPG elements.

I'm looking to snag it sometime this week, so I'll let you know what I think once I get around to grabbing it...

Funny story, I got myself a copy of 'A Way Out' for PS4 and I failed to realized it didn't have a matchmaking mechanic and I don't have any friends that would play it with me, cue sad violin music.

Anyways if you have a PS4 and feel like playing this very cool co-op game (its about 6 hours long) for FREE along with yours truly, go to the PlayStation store, download the demo and then send me a PM with your PSN user information so that I can add you and invite you to play.

Its also worth mentioning that my time zone is UTC/GMT -3 hours and I won't be able to be online before 19hs on weekdays and 13hs on weekends, because work and stuff.

Cheers.

New expansion for The Elder Scrolls: Legends out today. I think I'm the only one here who plays it, though.