This week in video games... - Page 747 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117 View Post
How do I do that? (I'm not generally a Windows guy. Normally I'd not use Windows at all, and I tolerate it only because I have to for gaming.).
Quick route: Press Windows-X on keyboard, and select "Device Manager" from the popup at the bottom left corner. In Device Manager, open the tree for "Display Adapters." Right-click your graphics card, and select, "Update Drivers." In the window that appears, select "Search automatically for updated software." If it downloads, allow it to complete and install automatically. Should be good to go, but a restart never hurts.

Slightly longer route that's sometimes better: Google the manufacturer of your card, and navigate through their driver downloads for your card model, operating system, and architecture (Almost always "x64" or "64-bit"). If what you find there is newer than what Windows Update finds (Look for version numbers and release date, and compare with the driver info in Device manager), great. Download that. If you want even more bleeding edge, you can also search the forums to see if there are newer versions available. If you go this route, you'll end up downloading a large installer file and running that to install the drivers. Reboot most likely required afterwards. You'll usually also end up with programs to more directly manage and automatically update your driver with the latest and greatest directly from the company. Use if you wish. You'll sometimes also get these programs automatically from Windows Update, but not always.

Assuming you have a gaming card, it should theoretically be easier than that. AMD and Nvidia both have software that is typically installed with the card driver. Check your taskbar, and click the arrow in the bottom right. Look for an Nvidia or AMD icon depending on the chipset maker, open the software if found, and tell it to check for updates.

My wife bought me a Switch for my birthday, which was a pretty great surprise. I almost never get consoles from the current generation because it always feels like too big a splurge.

My first downloaded game is Valkyria Chronicles and man, it sure is good. I know PS4 players have had this series for a while now, but as an SRPG lover, I've never had my hands on it until now. It's an incredible twist on the normal SRPG mechanics and is super challenging so far. It's like someone combined Advance Wars with Call of Duty. Happy birthday to me indeed! 36 is lookin' pretty good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
My wife bought me a Switch for my birthday, which was a pretty great surprise. I almost never get consoles from the current generation because it always feels like too big a splurge.

My first downloaded game is Valkyria Chronicles and man, it sure is good. I know PS4 players have had this series for a while now, but as an SRPG lover, I've never had my hands on it until now. It's an incredible twist on the normal SRPG mechanics and is super challenging so far. It's like someone combined Advance Wars with Call of Duty. Happy birthday to me indeed! 36 is lookin' pretty good so far.
People are also comparing Wargroove to Advance Wars, if that kind of thing interests you. For a day or so, Wargroove was the top selling game in the eshop.

That's next on my list, Krimson! Two current-generation SRPG titles and both are only 19.99? My gods...we really are living in a new golden age of gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Assuming you have a gaming card, it should theoretically be easier than that. AMD and Nvidia both have software that is typically installed with the card driver. Check your taskbar, and click the arrow in the bottom right. Look for an Nvidia or AMD icon depending on the chipset maker, open the software if found, and tell it to check for updates.
That is certainly true, and definitely the case on gaming PCs. I have however worked on plenty of PCs with gaming quality cards that only had the bare essentials installed by the OEM, and often needed to download the full package from the card manufacturer to get all the features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
That's next on my list, Krimson! Two current-generation SRPG titles and both are only 19.99? My gods...we really are living in a new golden age of gaming.
I've played through a few of the missions in Wargroove and used the level designer a bit. It's not too bad. I saw the onslaught of game announcements from the Nintendo Direct today, and at the moment I am installing Final Fantasy 9. I never played through a Final Fantasy game before, aside from a bit of FF7 back when I had a PS1 some 20 years ago.

Final Fantasy 9 is a good game hampered by a few strange choices and the speed at which it runs.
I hear there is a way to up the speed, so it should be a solid game indeed! Hope you enjoy it, I haven't played it since the last days of the ps1, but I did enjoy it back then.
Remember to steal in the first battle until you get the sword!

I haven't seen the direct, but I did see a quick bit of Legend of Zelda remake.
That is probably my favourite Zelda game (original and Breath of the Wild being the other probables) so I am tempted to pick it up. I guess it will depend on price and what changes they have made. I can always just play the GB version if it is not improved enough.

I've played every single mainline FF title through except for the MMOs and the most recent one, number fifteen. Nine is an above-average one, so you're heading into a good one, Krimson, though six is, was, and always will be the best of them all.