This week in video games... - Page 647 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

So I have been informed that the Steam Sale includes Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor for $4. Which is fantastic.

Also, Doom (2016) is now $15, and holy pants is it worth that money.

I still haven't bought anything this sale. Still balancing my options. I mean I've got 10 days to do it.

On the plus side, the only thing left I have to do in Skyrim before my new playthrough is level grinding. No more quests.

Haven't actually bought anything recently. I've still got a backlog the size of Montana. But damned if I'm going to let a great Doom sale slip by without shouting it to the high heavens!

That game is so good, how did they pull that off, it wasn't supposed to be that good.

Edit: While I'm at it, Wolfenstein The New Order for $10 is pretty good too. Be warned, the first level or so is really kind of bleh, not at all filled with the stuff that made the game such a surprise hit. But once you make The Choice™, and the sequences that follow... Man, very few games handle cutscenes and story beats the way TNO did. That time skip is still one of the best I've ever seen in vidya gaemz.

My old controller is basically stripped off all coating on the joystick, so I'm tempted to get the steam controller/doom bundle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker817 View Post
Haven't actually bought anything recently. I've still got a backlog the size of Montana. But damned if I'm going to let a great Doom sale slip by without shouting it to the high heavens!

That game is so good, how did they pull that off, it wasn't supposed to be that good.

Edit: While I'm at it, Wolfenstein The New Order for $10 is pretty good too. Be warned, the first level or so is really kind of bleh, not at all filled with the stuff that made the game such a surprise hit. But once you make The Choice™, and the sequences that follow... Man, very few games handle cutscenes and story beats the way TNO did. That time skip is still one of the best I've ever seen in vidya gaemz.
BJ sure does talk to himself weirdly.

Bought Hollow Knight, Thumper, Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition and Far Cry 4.
Not as much as my other previous hauls, but still a nice variety to it all.

Grabbed:

System Shock 1 & 2
Sins of the Solar Empire: Rebellion
Xenonauts

And that's as much as my wallet wants to part with for now!

I got (And just finished the main campaign of) Shadow of Mordor. STill looking at other stuff. Might get bayonnetta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
BJ sure does talk to himself weirdly.
Those melancholy/melodramatic interludes are the best part of the game. It would be so easy to make BJ a big, thick, stupid slab of beef with a gun sticking out of it; those monologues, almost aimed at the player themselves, really give him depth and all him to show off his sensitivity and intelligence, while not forcing them to give him a big speech scene or something like that. It's integrated into gameplay so smoothly that it's genius.

It also kinda works because in the past games he WAS a big slab of beef with a gun. It gives him some personality he was sorely lacking.