I Need Your Opinion Everyone - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

I Need Your Opinion Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veradux View Post
Well, it just became an insanely over-statted 'mon, as it's BST is now 900. That's a whopping 120 points over Mega Rayquaza.

But, unfortunately, it still manages to be largely useless as it's not much more than a block of meat. It can kinda sorta take a hit, but has no STAB moves to hit back with, and has nothing to stall with beyond Recover and items.

Bigger numbers are nice and all, but if you can't do anything with those numbers, well, you can't do anything.
This is actually glorious to me. Fast enough out-speed all but the most niche scarf build but can do exactly nothing with that speed. This is how you have a BST of 900 and not be OU.

I'm a game designer in training who's studying the philosophy behind stuff like Pokemon creation and MtG card design as part of the aforementioned training. I thus believe I can be of help here, but I must start with a question: what is this Pokemon about? What is its role, what does it want to do? What inspired you to create it? Which concepts did you have in mind when creating it? Allow me to explain what I mean with those questions with an example which, given that this is a PbP roleplay site, should be familiar enough for you: a D&D party.

These are tanks. They're capable of taking hits and, when they need to attack back, they hit VERY hard. However, they're very slow to compensate. Sometimes the have access to moves that allow them to heal themselves.

These are healers. They can help in sponging damage if need be, but their true appeal lies in the wide array of moves at their disposal that can keep their companions healthy.

These are rogues. Fast but frail, their goal is to outspeed or outprioritize enemies and deal to them as much damage as possible. They rely on their innate ability to negate certain kinds of damage in order to stay alive and to enter the battlefield safely.

These are arcane casters. They have a wide array of moves that can hamper the enemies or strengthen the allies, and when need be, they can dish out obscene amounts of magical (special) damage. However, they're very weak on the physical side.

So, which role do you envision your Pokemon as covering? I purposefully provided examples from lower tiers because... Well, because it's easy to give something ridiculous stats, a broken ability, and call it a Uber. Crafting a carefully balanced Pokemon that can be competitive in the lower tiers without breaking them, while still being both good and unique in its own right, is a much more stimulating challenge if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Cook View Post
I'm a game designer in training who's studying the philosophy behind stuff like Pokemon creation and MtG card design as part of the aforementioned training. I thus believe I can be of help here, but I must start with a question: what is this Pokemon about? What is its role, what does it want to do? What inspired you to create it? Which concepts did you have in mind when creating it? Allow me to explain what I mean with those questions with an example which, given that this is a PbP roleplay site, should be familiar enough for you: a D&D party.

These are tanks. They're capable of taking hits and, when they need to attack back, they hit VERY hard. However, they're very slow to compensate. Sometimes the have access to moves that allow them to heal themselves.

These are healers. They can help in sponging damage if need be, but their true appeal lies in the wide array of moves at their disposal that can keep their companions healthy.

These are rogues. Fast but frail, their goal is to outspeed or outprioritize enemies and deal to them as much damage as possible. They rely on their innate ability to negate certain kinds of damage in order to stay alive and to enter the battlefield safely.

These are arcane casters. They have a wide array of moves that can hamper the enemies or strengthen the allies, and when need be, they can dish out obscene amounts of magical (special) damage. However, they're very weak on the physical side.

So, which role do you envision your Pokemon as covering? I purposefully provided examples from lower tiers because... Well, because it's easy to give something ridiculous stats, a broken ability, and call it a Uber. Crafting a carefully balanced Pokemon that can be competitive in the lower tiers without breaking them, while still being both good and unique in its own right, is a much more stimulating challenge if you ask me.
Well the reason why that I'm making my own homemade Pokémon is just for fun. and the second form is too much. I should really nerfed it down a bit.

I think what you should do is really reconsider the Pokemon's logic. He's a maulery murder-y attacker but all his stats are defensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Saint View Post
I think what you should do is really reconsider the Pokemon's logic. He's a maulery murder-y attacker but all his stats are defensive.
In case if anyone want to know the story of where I got the idea of making these characters it was all started so many years ago at my old childhood school. I was in a basketball team and my old teacher called me Mauler because I was very defensive and I foul so many players during my school days. So many years later I got the idea of Mauler and as for Wolvon I just made it up last night. It just comes popped off in top of my head.

Can I do one? I found this gem I used in a CAP contest. Keep in mind that he was made in the early days of Gen 5 (Black/White) so he's a tiny bit behind on the power creep.

Specty and Spectacles (Hercules + Spectac... get it?) Stats are for Spectacles (a-clees) as Specty is a pre-evo. He's a beholder theme.

Type: Dark/Psychic
Abilities: Compound Eyes, Tinted Lens

HP: 100
Attack: 60
Defense: 60
Special Attack: 120
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 90
Total BST: 530

Noteworthy moves (Does not include entire moveset as he was made with several filler moves for his level-up process. These are just the moves you'd ever care about): Dark Pulse, Psychic, Hypnosis, Blizzard, Thunder, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Nasty Plot, Calm Mind

So Spectacles was built with two primary strats in mind.

1) Compound Eyes: This build could use Hypnosis well but that'd be a weak strat and easy to counter. Compound builds will typically use Choice Specs with Thunder, Focus Blast, Blizzard and either Dark Pulse or Psychic for massive damage output on top of amazing coverage. The only thing that stops this build from being OVER powered is the base 90 speed. Spectacles can take special hits fairly well but he'd be threatened by fast physical attackers.
Alternative, this build works great with Choice Scarf, using the naturally high base powers of the coverage moves.

2) Tinted Lens: The Lens build is where Hypnosis becomes scary. Hypnosis + Nasty Plot is a combination that will make any opponent worried. One bad play and they have a Pokemon sleeping and are forced to switch out. That switch turn becomes a Nasty Plot turn and +2 Dark Pulses, impossible to resist thanks to Tinted Lens, off a base 120 special attack are terrifying. Again, the only thing preventing this build from being broken is the 90 speed.

The base 90 speed is entirely a balancing mechanism. At the time, there were no priority moves that were super-effective and Fairy didn't exist yet. This meant the only reliable counters to Spectacles were bulky pokemon faster than 90 speed. This made him beatable with Pokemon like Garchomp, in particular. He was still a high pressure threat at any stage of the game.

With the last two gens out, I think he'd still be competitively viable but hardly an ever present threat anymore. Highly possible he'd not even be in the top 20 in the competitive scene. No way to upgrade him without a total redesign but adding Vacuum Wave to his move pool would help some as it'd help him shore up his speed issues.

I wouldn't underestimate compoundeyes+hypnosis. Once you throw vacuum wave on here what you've got is an arguably better breloom, who even now manages to stay in the top picks.
It's got a bit less oomph, but the extra defenses and speed (and typing) more than make up for it, and its got a lot more potential to be run different ways (and unpredictability is a value in itself).

In Smogon terms it'd be solidly OU.

Hey everybody. I kind of nerf Wolvon stats a bit. This is update and revised stats:

HP: 75
Attack: 75
Defense: 125
Special Attack:75
Special Defense: 125
Speed: 125

Also I did Mauler third evolution and Mega evolution: Feralon and Mega Feralon. Same move set as Mauler and Wolvon.

Feralon:

HP: 100
Attack: 100
Defense: 150
Special Attack: 100
Special Defense: 150
Speed: 150

Mega Feralon:

HP: 125
Attack: 125
Defense: 175
Special Attack: 125
Special Defense: 175
Speed: 175

So what do you think of Wolvon nerfed stats, Feralon and Mega Feralon stats?