Ever want to build a world? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

Ever want to build a world?

Ever want to build a world?

Anyone ever want to build a campaign setting just for fun?
I have run games in home brew quite allot, but most of the time they are more or less just built as the players come in contact with new places or things.

Kind of want to just build a world just to have something to do.

Ooh, ooh, me, me!

Will we roleplay the world building, or just glue stuff together? Because I'm playing in a game right now about gods building a world and getting up to shenanigans with each other.

Are you planning on assembling things for a particular system, or just interested in fluff?

Nah, I've never really had the urge.

Last time I thought about building a world, I got hung up on economics. Who has what resources, who trades what with whom, where the best trade routes go, etc....

And then I imagined simulating the world growth. Write a computer program to that starts with the geography and resource location, and using a few simple rules builds up trade routes and population centers and....

And then I remembered that this was way too much work for what is really an unnecessary feature in a fictional world.

-Kernal

Personally, I'd just like to figure out where the orcish hordes and kobold warrens and hobgoblin armies get their food.
Assuming you're going for a D&D/Pathfinder thing.

lol. Good answers all around.
I have always wondered in D&D where all the gold in Ferune comes from. Seriosly that world must have a core of pure gold.
-
And I"m always bigger into cultural and ethnic groups. Like what does this group of people eat, clothing, weapons, religion stuff like that.

I kind of always wondered what a world would look like if I got a group of people togethere and everyone just made a town or city, or tribe or something and the seeing how it would fit together.

Maybe my Nomadic Tribe raids your town or trades furs with them so on and so forth. It would be a interesting ideal.
-

And Ya i have played got creation games, they can be pretty fun deepening on how you set them up.

Sounds like a D&D setting, then. Do you want to go with the typical high fantasy and multitudes of races and creatures?

Does it count that I'm using Earth and rewriting history from 1066, and the player will start in Italy in 15xx-1600? (Like Martin Luther didn't happen, the Roman Empire is still intact. The Pope is at war with Aragon, Castile and Portugal married before Henry the Navigator sent out Magellan, the French lost everything east of the Rhine to the HRE principalities, and are contantly and actively at war with half of the HRE while trying to marry into Austria and Hungarian families to stop the eastern half of Barbarosa's kingdoms from rolling over them. William the Bastard died to a Welsh bowman' arrow all those years ago, on the fields of Hastings, and Harold Goodwinson's successor is waging war in Northern Europe against those Viking pillagers with armies from all over the Enpire of Alba.(Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and England.)

That's just some of the European history. With no Richard to oppose Saladin, things never took off for the Crusaders... The end goal is to get the world rewritten, then explain some of the mess via fantasy elements.)

I have Campaign Cartographer 3 and Fractal Terrains. The latter can randomly generate worlds with maps for temperature, rainfall and climate. I have an example in this thread. Campaign Cartographer can import the image, or it can be used to make maps by hand with not as much detail but you can shape it any way you like.