What are you reading? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

What are you reading?

What are you reading?

I did see an older thread from about 4 years covering this topic, but I thought instead of digging up ancient history, I would start one off fresh, see if it has longer leg's then the original post.

I'm currently reading through the Meeting's Sextet series of Dragonlance. I read a lot of Dragonlance in my youth, but somehow, never got around to this series. Currently on #4 The Oath and the Measure. I'm about 1 third of the way through now, the first third was a bit slow as the story began, but now that the "quest" portion of the story has begun, it's picking up well.

I'm a huge Dragonlance fan. Big apologist for it too...

But a few years ago I tried to pick up the Annotated Chronicles and read through it and eventually just put it back down. It was a hard slog because of just how unrefined the writing was compared to any of their newer stuff. So instead, I'll just let nostalgia keep me going for that particular trilogy.

I have considered going back and reading some of the newer books, but the list of unread books on the shelf is starting to rear its ugly head and so I have a hard time repeating anything right now. I'm glad you're enjoying the Sextet though, it's a solid series.

I'm reading Children of Blood and Bone, by Tomi Adeyemi. Excellent, excellent fantasy debut and very unlike most of what the genre has to currently offer.

That said, I'm a sucker for a good Dragonlance novel myself. I just read the Chronicles series to my almost-nine-year-old daughter and she's already talked me into picking up Time of the Twins next.

Currently reading Six of Crows, by Leigh Bardugo. It's a spin-off from her initial trilogy (the Grisha Trilogy), which was excellent. The first trilogy has a very Russian influence/flavor to it that gives it quite a different feel from the usual Western European-based fantasy. This book has a mix of cultures represented, but it's the same world (about six years after the intial books), based in neighboring countries. Good stuff.

For what it's worth, the last two series I read - first Joe Abercrombie's stuff and then N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy - were both fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
For what it's worth, the last two series I read - first Joe Abercrombie's stuff and then N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy - were both fantastic.
Yeah, you really can't go wrong there. I know some folks like to think Jemisin is overrated but most of them also never gave her a fair chance so...

I most recently finished Queen of Crows, the second book of Myke Cole's new fantasy trilogy. Pretty damn good. Not on the level of Abercrombie or Jemisin, but good.

I'll be honest with you: anyone who says a three-time Hugo-award-winner's work is overrated, I pretty much just roll my digital eyes at him/her and call it a day.

I haven't read Myke Cole, though, so thanks for the recommendation, Leon! I'll give him a shot after I finish Children of Blood and Bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil_Bottletop View Post
I'm a huge Dragonlance fan. Big apologist for it too...

But a few years ago I tried to pick up the Annotated Chronicles and read through it and eventually just put it back down. It was a hard slog because of just how unrefined the writing was compared to any of their newer stuff. So instead, I'll just let nostalgia keep me going for that particular trilogy.
I hear ya on the writing, but for me the nostalgia part is actually a big draw. Dragonlance was really my introduction to fantasy, I read it before I read anything else in the genre, so it's kind of like going back to the roots. I like the simple writing, the magic system, the cover art, the traditional classes, the clear distinction between good and evil (evil will always try to upset the balance, but will always end up turning on itself...).

it's kind of like the golden age of science fiction for me, I like most science fiction, but it's always nice to go back and read Asimov every now and then.

I'm just finishing up Bloody Rose by Nicholas Eames. Some of my very favorite fantasy writing and a large part of it is down to the narrator, Tam. It's amazing to watch her journey from fangirl to, well, read the book.

After that I'm jumping back into N. K. Jemisin stuff. I picked up the Dreamblood Duology and after I'm done with that I'm going to grab the rest of the Broken Earth series. I may go back and read some Inheritance short stories in between that. Jemisin is a writing genius.

Indeed. I was amused to find out recently that the Dreamblood duology was A) her first written work and B) initially rejected for "Being too black". I'm not sure how much it was tweaked in the time between initial writing and when the Inheritance books succeeded enough to make publishers look closer at her stuff, but it's pretty darn good. And as for the idea it's "too black", consider me quite baffled. I can kind of see where that idea arises from, but I don't GET it, not really.