Shows that shouldn't have ended - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Shows that shouldn't have ended

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
To me, one of the major players was the High School. Unless you are one of the rare people that really enjoys high school, it is an era of being oppressed, stomped down, and generally subjected to ritualized hazing endorsed and enforced by the State. Having a source of nightmares and demons and whatnot directly under the school not only makes perfect sense, but they build on each other, somehow making both worse. You aren't free. You cannot get away, you cannot quit, you cannot get out of the game. You are required to endure it and to prove your loyalty by regurgitating acceptable answers to stock questions. You are provided just enough information and education to be a minimally functioning pawn of the State, but any form of dissension to the indoctrination and brainwashing is "heavily discouraged," even outright mocked and used as a tool for humiliation by fellow "students" and even instructors. Of the characters, Cordelia was the only one who seemed to enjoy the environment, and that was because she was always on top of the social hierarchy pyramid.

College is about being freed from that, becoming and being treated like an adult, being responsible for your own actions and the consequences for the first time. It is open and makes the world available. That inherently diminished the terror and danger over the last 4 years by taking away one of the key factors--the oppressive atmosphere.
I can certainly sympathize with your feelings about school in general. But I can honestly say I newer saw Buffy as scary at any point. I always felt that the atmosphere of the show was almost like a slightly darker Scoobie Do. The later series got a bit more serious but even than it was drama and not horror by any stretch.

I personally wouldn't give up the post-Season Three Buffy. Mind you, I generally think that the first three seasons had the best season long arches (though five was pretty solid too in my opinion), however when I sit down and make a list of some of my favorite individual episodes and moments, a good portion of them were in those later seasons.

Also, in terms of Buffy ever being horror... IDK... the Gentlemen/Hush are STILL kind of pure nightmare fuel for me. I can think of tons of horror films that bothered me way less (or not at all).

From the outside, Buffy was always a soap-comedy with horror elements, rather than a horror show. For the characters, though, they go through some grim smeg.

Best Moments and Best individual episodes... That's kinda how people have been describing their pleasure from Moffat's era of Doctor Who to me. More on that in another thread.

on top of my head
Clone Wars
Buffy
Deadwood
...apparently, The Expanse also?

Maybe, maybe not. Apparently Amazon is in negotiations over picking up Season 4 of The Expanse. I wish I could get more excited, but the show never really clicked for me. I'm pleased that it exists, I love the books, but the show? Not so much. And I can't even blame it being a bad adaptation or anything.

never read the books (if it's an adaptation I always refrain from reading them until the show is over) so I can't say much about that. It has an interesting enough plot, it is generally well-done enough. There's not all that many sci-fi shows that fit the bill, at least according to my tastes.

The Six Million Dollar Man deserved to die because once your top secret government agent cyborg is dispatched to fight bigfoot, your show has jumped the shark--in this case, years before The Fonz invented that meme by actually jumping a shark--but the concept is too good to stay dead.

And so, dear sci-fi fans, bear witness, with an adjustment for inflation, to: The Six Billion Dollar Man, due in 2017. I mean 2019. I mean 2020.

Because every cash cow is milked until the udder squirts red.