I Sense a Great Disturbance in the Force. - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

I Sense a Great Disturbance in the Force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
... I enjoyed John Carter more than I enjoyed any of the 3 new SW films. And I know nothing of the story other than the movies...
Ummm, if you had read the John Carter of Mars books you would not have liked the movie... at all. *shrug*

I read the books. I liked the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
Nothing should be this big.
I agree, but I am a Star Wars fan. So long as Disney doesn't do worse than Lucas, I'll be okay with it. Lets face it, most people don't like how Lucas did things, but no one can deny that he did things his way and gathered one of the largest fan bases the world over and made his fortune against all odds. I respect him for that, even if I don't agree with all of the choices he made.

Now we just have to wait and see how Disney handles it from here.

So, I read the BBC article on it, and do I understand this right? They plan to do 7, 8, 9, and then another movie every three years afterwards ad infinitum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfte View Post
Ummm, if you had read the John Carter of Mars books you would not have liked the movie... at all. *shrug*
I never read the books, and I still thought the movie was very "meh."

As far as this whole Disney Star Wars thing... I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I haven't seen Disney put out a really fantastic movie since... what... the 90's? (by "fantastic movie," I just mean a movie that I really liked)

And it's not just that, but I can see them banging out merchandise and crappy tv spinoffs (yes, more than the ones than we have now) like there's no freaking tomorrow.

Plus, there's the whole, "how are they going to handle the EU?" thing. Not all the EU was fantastic, but at least most of it is accepted cannon. Are they going to rewrite the cannon? Are they going to try to hold true to the current cannon and risk the ire of the fanboys who know the EU backwards and forwards?

There are just a lot of questions and concerns that can only currently be answered with, "Wait and see."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalara Shadowmist View Post
Who knows what Ep 7 will be like. So long as the Vong do not exist, I'll probably be fine.
If they stick to canon, and listen to the fanboys (like me), it'll be the Thrawn trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
If they stick to canon, and listen to the fanboys (like me), it'll be the Thrawn trilogy.
I thought of them doing this. It scares me a bit. Yes, The Thrawn Trilogy are the best SW books, but my fear is them ruining it. I thought the books were done very well. Why mess with it? Not everything good needs to be turned into a movie.

Edit: Rouge Squadron. That would make a good trilogy.

Ok, so I'm not sure what to think of this. I mean, on the one hand, it's Disney, and Disney is outstanding. On the other, Disney does have a habit of releasing some really bad movies at times. I'm curious to see what they do to the extended universe.

I think the only thing that would really make sense here for Ep VII would be to focus on the training of Leia's kids, I guess. I mean, there aren't any other Jedi in the galaxy at the end of Ep VI, so what else could there be?

Honestly, I'm not sure how much Disney will be directly involved in the new Stars Wars (or Indiana Jones, etc.) movies. I remember a lot was made of Disney buying Marvel in 2009, but their modus operandi seems to be to help with funding and distribution, merchandising, and skimming a bit of the profits off of the top. At least with Marvel they don't seem to take much (visible) action with the actual property.

With this transaction clearly being focused on the movie aspect though, and Lucas becoming a creative consultant (which, bless his heart, sounds a lot like being kicked upstairs), it does seem like they might be more hands-on here.

Disney owns ESPN, ABC, a big chunk of Hulu, Marvel, and a bunch of smaller stuff. The traditional Disney is only a small part of the larger corporate Disney. There is no reason to believe the Disney movie area will influence star wars anymore than, say, ABC or ESPN will.