Puerto Rico votes to become a US state - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Puerto Rico votes to become a US state

Finally! I hope you ratify it. It's about time you guys got a 51st state. Do you realise how implausible it sounds to have exactly 50? For years I was convinced it was somewhere in the 48-52 range but not 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Well the Republican Governor of the State was pro-Statehood, and the official party platform in 2012 is to accept them. It seems like you're just basing it off some vague "I like this idea and I dislike republicans therefore they must be against it" type feeling.
Citation

Quote:
Originally Posted by from article
Republicans, who retained control of the House, are generally opposed to Puerto Rican statehood. This makes any push by pro-statehood Puerto Ricans very difficult as they would have to make it through the GOP-controlled House to move on to the Democrat-controlled Senate.
I'm basing it off what I've read. But then, I don't know that I trust news lately, let alone Fox.

Fox is for entertainment purposes only.

I posted the actual Republican party platform as well as point out that the Governor who led this ballot initiative was a Republican. I can't find anything to support the assumption in that article and they didn't say what they based it on.

Oh wait, that comment was actually before Obama got elected. Well, that was pretty insightful on his part. But yeah, white people are the majority and people who aren't white are all lazy. That's what people believe the republican party believes, so yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
people who aren't white are all lazy. That's what people believe the republican party believes, so yeah.
Just stop trolling and read site rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Well the Republican Governor of the State was pro-Statehood, and the official party platform in 2012 is to accept them. It seems like you're just basing it off some vague "I like this idea and I dislike republicans therefore they must be against it" type feeling.
Don't know if you were responding neccesarilly to my post or the sentiment in general, but I don't dislike republicans, I wish there were more moderate republicans in office because they seem to have a tendency to responsibility. One of my favorite senators was Olympia Snowe, and I was hoping Huntsman may have by some miracle won the republican primary. The only exception to that is Ron Paul.

I'm not trolling. If you don't agree with me that's fine, but I'm just stating the way I see it. You expressed your confusion over the fact that someone would think the republican party would be against statehood, I offered what I think is a pretty good explanation.

I hope to see Puerto Rico become our 51st state. I am not afraid of brown people.

On the other hand, I am afraid of Americans!