Assistance Needed with Class Design [D&D 3.5+] - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Assistance Needed with Class Design [D&D 3.5+]

Assistance Needed with Class Design [D&D 3.5+]

So I have been working on a campaign idea off and on for a few years now, and I recently got interested again. However, now that I'm going back over the things I had written down, I think it's in need of an overhaul. I have some custom classes for a game, and this is all based on D&D 3.5, but it will also be different in many ways. I am open to including things from 4th and 5th edition, but I do not own the books and I do not know much about the rules. I have picked up on a couple things that I will be adding to this campaign, but mostly as tweaks to the 3.5 system.

So the problem I have right now is that some of the class features I had before, I now find to be outdated, and I am having some trouble thinking of replacements. I hoped to get some suggestions. One of the features involved allowing the characters to select from a special group of feats, as sometimes appeared in some of the 3.5 books. Now, however, I have decided not to include feats in this game at all, so I obviously need something different.

The other feature was allowed a charisma-based bonus to saving throws, but I am also throwing out ability scores in this game. The characters will not have any, so that won't work either.

Now I am not necessarily looking for analogous features to replace these features. Right now I'm open to just about anything that would be just as beneficial, while fitting with the idea of the campaign. These features that I am looking to replace represented blessings granted by goddesses, and each character is a chosen champion of one of those goddesses. To that end, any suggestions would be appreciated, and thank you for your time.

No feats at all? And no ability scores!? May I ask why? Also, this sounds like it's basically not D&D any more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
No feats at all? And no ability scores!? May I ask why? Also, this sounds like it's basically not D&D any more...
I will have to agree here. What you're describing doesn't sound much, if at all, like any post-3.0 D&D and you'll likely be better off with another system altogether rather than trying to make D&D fit something that it doesn't do. Heck, I can even give recommendations if you know what you want from a system.

Well, if you don't use ability scores then there's two methods you can do for that;

1) Overhaul EVERYTHING that refers to the ability score (ie replace every area where the ability scores would be used)
2) Overhaul the ability scores themselves to use a different system (ie replace the ability score itself).

The second option would be way easier, of course, although you would have to come up with a reasonable idea for them.

An example I've seen is that in 13th Age, which also uses the same ability scores, someone came up with an idea to use Backgrounds to substitute. Of course, the problem inherent to that is that you're going to have judge backgrounds in and of themselves each time, which is a bit of a problem...but potentially usable.

Unfortunately, feats are impossible to replace enmasse; there's just too many and they're too specialized to styles.

That said, my suggestion is to just try a different system altogether.

Well... I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond, but you all completely missed the point of the thread and didn't answer my question. I already know how things are going to work without ability scores or feats. I'm just looking for suggestions one what to do for a blessing from a goddess. I pretty much have an answer to that question now though, so I don't really need this thread anymore. Thanks anyway.

Well, we can't really answer your question if it's not well-defined, and it didn't really sound like it was. Give me mechanical ideas, you say, for system which isn't actually the system I said it was. It's quite hard to come up with something (especially something balanced) when the goalposts have moved so dramatically.

But anyway, if you have settled on something yourself, great - and good luck with it. It certainly sounds like a bold undertaking.

We'd be able to better help if you actually described how your system is going to work without ability scores and feats.

I agree with the others. Without ability scores, it isn't D&D.