Ask a Question Get an Answer! - Page 105 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

D&D 5e

Can I use the rules for PC creation to create the enemies for my PCs? And if so, what level should they be compared to the PCs?

I saw something about challenge level should be 1 equally lvl monster vs 4 PCs and that the challenge level of an individual monster should be lower if they are part of a group. But how much lower? Let say they are equal in number, what lvl enemy is appropriate for 4 lvl 3 PCs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLight View Post
D&D 5e

Can I use the rules for PC creation to create the enemies for my PCs?
DMG pg92 says yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLight View Post
And if so, what level should they be compared to the PCs?

I saw something about challenge level should be 1 equally lvl monster vs 4 PCs and that the challenge level of an individual monster should be lower if they are part of a group. But how much lower? Let say they are equal in number, what lvl enemy is appropriate for 4 lvl 3 PCs?
I don't see any specific NPC-lvl-to-Challenge-Rating rule, but the rules for determining the challenge rating of a created monster (DMG 274) should be generally applicable. Cross-reference the result there with the experience points by challenge rating chart (pg 275) and the XP thresholds by character level chart on page 82.

As I understood it several opponents with a combined challenge of X is harder than a single opponent with a challenge of X and as such they suggest a lower combined challenge of multiple opponents?

But perhaps that's wrong then?

Pathfinder

A level 5 barbarian (+5 BAB) grows horns due to Fiend Totem, Lesser. Can he attack with his weapon (at full bab) and then use the horns as a secondary natural attack (so -5 penalty)? What are the rules for mixing natural attacks, and BAB based attacks.
Would a level six barbarian (BAB +6/+1) get three attacks, +6/+1/+1?

Thanks in advance, looked on google but I was getting nowhere.

General

For a plot point for a campaign, the party is going to be sucked up into a war between Dwarves and Drow. Speaking with a few friends on details, we couldn't figure out which faction would have the upper hand.
So personally, with any knowledge on the subject which army would be stronger?
The Dwarves with their bullheaded tenacity, and altruism.
Or the Drow and their superior magic, and underhanded tactics?

I suspect Drow would be better at defeating enemy forces in the field, but inferior at taking and defending positions

If they each play to their strengths, the dwarves will slowly be forced back while inflicting sufficient casualties that the remaining drow forces are either stretched too thin to defend their own territory from other aggressors and so fall to a third party, or determine before that point that continuing the war is unsustainable.

or at least that's how I'd have it play out

It depends on a lot of things. A 10th level dwarf paladin is going to be able to easily take out a 1st level evil drow fighter. So I think you could really spin it whichever way you like.

But without any other knowledge, I'd probably bet on the drow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRajah View Post
Where's the war taking place? Above ground or Underdark?
The war is going to be taking place almost entirely underground.