New(ish) Player Here! - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

New(ish) Player Here!

New(ish) Player Here!

Hello, all! I'm new to both the site and fairly new to tabletop rpgs. Just wanted to drop in and say hi/introduce myself!

I'm a writer and a gamer who's long been attracted to the idea of Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder. I love fantasy fiction and have always wanted to be part of a roleplaying group. Not having much luck finding people to play with locally, I've turned to my old friend, play-by-post. I played several PBP RPGs years ago, but none were based around a game system, so I'm looking forward to jumping in and getting to know all of you here!

Hey! I saw your app in the Along the Sword Coast game, and I found it to be very interesting, so I figured I'd stop by and greet you here, too. Despite joining this forum quite a while ago, I am a newbie myself (I have been lurking, without ever posting, since I first registered, only becoming fully active two days ago), so yeah, let's hope we both manage to make our way into games and have some fun!

By the way, I too fancy myself a writer (although I am not that good), so I'm glad to meet someone who shares my passion. Any way to read something of yours?

Hey there! Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking here for a long time as well. Joined at a bad time and life ran away from me. I'm excited to get involved in this community now.

That's awesome! Writing is definitely fulfilling. Challenging and frustrating at times, but fulfilling. That's what I look forward to the most with this place. I learned a lot when I last did PBP roleplaying, and I've missed it for a long time.

I wish I could say I have something published already, but not yet. I'm working on the first draft of a fantasy story right now, should be wrapping up stage one of drafting by the end of the year. I let myself get distracted for the last 8 years or so and I stopped writing. I started writing again this July, actually. I have a lot of older works, in various draft stages right now. They're on my schedule to finish, after I work through my current projects.

I'll see if there's something I have that's in a finished enough state to let you read!

What kind of stuff do you like to write?

Eh, that's my problem: I like to write almost everything, for me writing is just a natural action, like eating or breathing. Which is a problem, because I have a very short attention span, so I will start working on a project then drop it, then start another, then return to the previous one, then get creative block, then suddenly come up with a brilliant idea for a project I hadn't touched in a while... And ultimately, I get nothing done.

Now I have two projects in the making: I am developing them alongside a friend of mine, which means, he physically forces me to focus and actually get things done, without getting sidetracked by other stuff... So hopefully I should be able, by the end of the year, to finally accomplish something. Let's just hope for the best lol.

See, that sounds familiar...heh. That's how most of my writing life has gone. I have a lot of projects that were so close to complete, but I either let life get the best of me, or I got stuck and wandered off, all with the best of intentions to finish it later. The best writing of my life was when I was doing freeform PbP roleplay, so I really want to get back into it. And now that I have a growing collection of books for several different RPGs, I can get into the games I've been interested in for so long.

That's exciting! Friends like that are priceless. My writing friend has been pushing me and has really helped me so much this year as I've gotten back into writing. I've known her a long time and we've collaborated before, so we work well together and her help has done a lot for me.

The thing that has helped me the most is scheduling time to write, and picking a specific story (or even scene) to focus on during that time slot. I realized that I plan my schedule at my day job and it works, but when I'm home I'm easily distracted by shiny things. It doesn't help that I'm a gamer, so there's always something to distract me. I have a busy work schedule, so without some structure I wasn't writing at all.

I sent you a friend request. Since we're both working on a project with plans to finish by the end of the year, we can check in on each other.