Pathfinder Homebrew Idea(s) - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Pathfinder Homebrew Idea(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keante View Post
Yeah, it's really easy to limit a character to a single element if that's what the game setting needs. With normal Pathfinder spells you have to tell players not to pick spells that do other damage types, and there might not be enough spells that do the appropriate type of damage so you might have to pick other spells and change the element for them...
It isn't so much that they can't use other elements than it is that they are simply better at their attuned element. I feel like that would be too annoying, especially if you are facing creatures that were immune to your specific element. Before looking at the Spheres stuff I was going to basically apply something similar to a Sorcerer's bloodline arcana to everyone. Something like "Whenever you cast a spell with an energy descriptor that matches your attuned element's energy type, that spell deals +1 point of damage per die rolled" or "all spells involving your attuned element are considered to be cast at a higher level (maybe +2)" or the ability to alter any spell's element to match your attunement. Ex: Burning hands can be cast as cold damage.

The Kineticist class from normal Pathfinder, Occult Adventures, is strongly themed for elemental flavors, if you want to look at that as one of the options.

Kineticist class details on Archives of Nethys
Kineticist elements on Archives of Nethys
Wild talents
Kineticist archetypes

I thought of the Kineticist when I was reading the Elementalist and Destruction sphere. I kind of like the Spheres version better in this instance. If we do want to implement more of the class as part of the characters later in the game I would rather not deal with Burn as a resource/restriction. I like the simplified spell pool better.

I've been working on a list for character creation and I think it's nearly done. I am now working on adventure specific traits and more of the setting, including a bit of a timeline. I'll post the character creation that I have below, let me know if I am missing anything. I have been looking around at other game posts to get a good idea but may have missed something.

Level: 1

Scores: 20 point-buy

Health: Max at first level. Will probably go with rolling for all subsequent levels, but rerolling any 1s.

Race: No Aasimar, Tiefling, Fetchling, Drow, Duergar, Gillmen, Suli, Svirfneblin, or Wayang. Otherwise, any from the Core, Featured, and Uncommon sections of the Advanced Race Guide. Gnoll, Lizardfolk, Monkey Goblin, Skinwalker, Ghoran, and Vine Leshy are allowed. Certain races can be replaced by a third party's statistics, such as this replacing the normal Kobold. It only really changes the ability scores to something more manageable. Third party races will be considered on a case by case. Races with ties to other realms or the underdark are unlikely to make the cut since they do not fit the setting.

Class: Core, Base, and Hybrid. Use unchained versions where applicable. Archetypes can be altered to accommodate unchained classes. Samurai and Ninja will be allowed as re-flavored Fighters and Rogues respectively. They will need to be tweaked a little since there are no eastern weapons or armor. Third party classes will be considered as long as they don't require a drastic change to normal Pathfinder rules. Guns don't exist.

Alignment: Any except True Neutral.

Starting Wealth: None, you only start with an outfit.

Traits: Two, one must be specific to this adventure.

Inherent Magic: Everyone, regardless of class, receives Knowledge: Arcana, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device as class skills. Everyone also has the ability to use Detect Magic at will. In some cases, particularly when dealing with powerful magic, you will receive an automatic perception check to detect certain people or objects. In extreme cases, such as dealing with a mage several times your own level you will detect them automatically. Even when using detect magic, you do need at least a modicum of knowledge in order to separate the useful from the ever-present since magic permeates the very air you breath in this setting.

Element: You must select an element that is tied to your character. This choice is made at character creation and cannot be changed later. The common elements are air, fire, water and wind. Less common are options that fall within the common elements. For example, metal is a less common option for earth and you can get even more specific if you want by choosing a specific type of metal (must be a naturally occurring metal, not an alloy). The least common elements are light and dark. Rarity does not make it stronger in any way.

Elemental Magic: To represent your tie to an element, and the fact that everyone is capable of magic, you gain the Energy Focus drawback (might have to scroll down to find it, ctrl F is your friend) that allows you to use a specific energy blast from the Destruction Sphere. You do not receive the base blast, and must choose an energy that matches your element. Existing ones can be found on the sphere page. You may re-skin options listed there to better fit your element, such as the crystal blasts flavored as metal. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see a section about creating your own blasts, this is allowed as long as you run your idea by me. At character creation you must choose the ability score tied to this power and your spell pool. The spell pool contains a number of spell points equal to your class level + ability score modifier (minimum: 1). This pool replenishes once per day after roughly 8 hours of rest. The ability score must be Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. Martial classes may select Constitution instead if desired. This must be chosen at character creation and cannot changed later.

Other: You can use the Background Skills and Elephant in the Room.

House Rules:
  • Classes that only receive 2 + Int skill points per level now gain 4 + Int skill points per level. On that note, I would recommend anyone looking at a class that has a "Legendary" version from Legendary Games use that version. Fighter, Barbarian, Shifter, etc. They are just overall a bit better for their versatility.
  • Clerics must have at least one domain related to their element, or something similar, and cannot have another element as their second domain. Ex: Plant domain would be sufficient for earth.
  • Oracles cannot have a mystery of an element other than the one they are attuned to, though may use any that is not specifically tailored to an element. Example neutrals: Lore, nature, bones, battle, etc.
  • Witches cannot have a patron of an element other than the one they are attuned to, though may use any that is not specifically tailored to an element.
  • Shamans cannot choose a spirit of an element other than the one they are attuned to, though may use any that is not specifically tailored to an element. Shamans also do not need to split their ability scores between Charisma and Wisdom, instead their spells and class abilities are all based off one or the other of your choice. When this choice is made at first level it cannot be changed later.
  • Sorcerers and Bloodragers cannot have a bloodline of an element other than the one they are attuned to, though may use any that is not specifically tailored to an element.
  • Summoners are pretty restricted on eidolon subtypes. Allowed: Aberrent, Ancestor, Deepwater, Elemental, and Plant. With some re-flavoring the Radiant, Shadow, and Inevitable can also be used using light element, dark element, and construct crafter ideas respectively.
  • Warpriests must have at least one blessing related to their attuned element, or something similar, and cannot have another element as their second blessing. Ex: Sun blessing would be sufficient for fire element.
  • A rogue's Finesse Training applies to one weapon of choice at first level instead of 3rd, and additional weapons are chosen at the normal rate (3rd, 11th, and 19th levels).
  • Monks may replace their first level bonus feat with Finesse Training as per a rogue. The benefit applies at first level to unarmed attacks and alternate weapons may be chosen at the normal rate (3rd, 11th, and 19th levels).
  • Brawlers may replace their second level bonus feat with Finesse Training as per a rogue. The benefit applies at second level to unarmed attacks and alternate weapons may be chosen at 5th, 11th, and 19th levels.

Good point about spell point pool vs burn, that does make sense. Can players expect to gain equipment early on, or is this expected to be a low equipment game, in which case some equipment builds might not be as useful?

Also, is the initial destructive blast with energy focus the only thing allowed from Spheres of power? Ok if so, just wanted to clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDragon View Post
Can players expect to gain equipment early on, or is this expected to be a low equipment game, in which case some equipment builds might not be as useful?
You start without much other than clothes and general accessories but this is primarily for story. The college does not allow outside armor and weapons due to the disparity between the poor and the wealthy. A commoner with a rusty dagger does not stand equal with a noble wielding a +1 Flaming Adamantine Greatsword. The college is just as much judging and recruiting those of above average ability as it is about teaching. You will receive loaner equipment shortly after arriving. The school part of the game is not a huge part of the story but thought it might be a fun way to kick it off. There are are a few scenes I do want to play out but other than that how long we spend playing around at the college depends how much the players enjoy it. Essentially the jump from level 1-3 should be relatively quick. In order to purchase equipment you will be paid for each task you complete during your exit exam that I mentioned in my first post. You will have to return your loaner equipment but should have enough to purchase your own. You are being paid because the tasks typically benefit the country in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDragon View Post
Also, is the initial destructive blast with energy focus the only thing allowed from Spheres of power? Ok if so, just wanted to clarify.
I have been debating this. On one side the spheres seem pretty interesting and in some ways a bit fitting for the setting. The problem is that I have not used the system before so I am not exactly sure what I should be wary of. As much as I would like to believe otherwise, some people take advantage of a DM's lack of knowledge. Has happened to me before on a live online game through Roll20. I figure using just the Elementalist and Destruction sphere would sort of get my foot in the door. I've also read that it's usually better to go all in than use both spheres and normal Pathfinder classes together in the same game.

Thanks for your reply! Borrowing equipment then later purchasing it is a good way to start, and backed by story reasons, definitely good.

I agree that what you initially put for the Energy focus drawback, with the Destruction sphere, would be a helpful introduction to how part of Spheres of Power works. So just limiting it to that is useful.

I did put up an advertisement for this, just in case anyone has been watching this thread but hasn't been watching the games section. It can be found here.