Notices

Dueling Fates- The Rise and Fall of the Pirate Lords

Old Apr 27 '18, 7:40pm
The Pusher

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Dueling Fates- The Rise and Fall of the Pirate Lords

Dueling Fates - Forum
Freeform

Getting into Russo's crew had been far easier than Ryan Grant had ever expected it to be; progressing within the pirate ranks in order to get himself into a position worthy of his calling was an entirely different matter. It has been more than a year since he had managed to weasel his way into the confidence of a few sailors hailing from Trystus Bay. The work had been both miserable and satisfying in a way that would have seemed odd to anyone used to a far kinder way of life, but Ryan had known far, far worse, and this time he held all the cards. This time the prey had become the predator. This time, the breaking would be the other way around.

He had stepped in during the perfect bar fight, saving Russo's Sailing Master from catching a knife in the eye and providing Ryan with just the right amount of gratitude that the up and coming sailor needed to get a commission on Russo's flagship with the man himself. It was far closer and faster than either of the Grants had hoped that Ryan would get to the pirate Lord, and it came with a certain amount of giddiness; Captain Grant would be ecstatic to learn of the positioning once Ryan gets the chance to actually pass that knowledge along through one of his established contacts.

Of course, he is little more than a deck hand on Russo's ship, and some of the other ranked men, while none would ever step over the line anywhere near Lord Russo, had taken it upon themselves to make sure that Ryan--no, Hugh-- that Hugh knew his place and that favors with the Sailing Master didn't equate to equality with the rest of them. He had spent most of the morning helping to check the lower hull for weaknesses in the oakum and doing most of the grunt work for repairs as the ship carpenter tended to some of the more sensitive problems. He had just gotten word that they were breaking for lunch and likely a swim after when another command rings out from the deck above.

"Dead sails ahead, Captain! Looks to be Wyldwind!"

The Wyldwind fleet this far southwest meant trouble. More than that, though, it also meant a fight and plenty of blood. Hugh makes it topside to see what's going on and prep with the rest of the more martial sailors on board just as Russo is finished examining the distant target with the sypglass offered to him by one of the mates. "Mast is snapped, but otherwise intact," Russo states to the few sailors nearest to him, then leans over to yell to the boys on the lower deck, "some movement over there, boys. Make sure they know you mean business, but grant quarter to any who lay down arms. Wyldwind has been known to pay a hefty sum for key members of his crew."

'Hugh' looked up from the subsequent grunt work, raising a cheer along with the rest. A free prize was something that any hot-blooded sea marauder would find of suitable pleasure. Even more so given the circumstances of *who* it had been. Of course, had the rest of them known why hew as particularly pleased with the idea of another pirate suffering such issues, there would be dire questions to follow. Tightening his sword belt on, he takes a quick glance over two wicked-looking daggers before stuffing them in sheaths on his hips. In most things, the blades had seen far more service than the sword had, but it was nice to have the reach from time to time.

His eyes glanced to the leader of the boarding party, making his way towards the front and near where the action...whatever it would be...would occur. It certainly didn't hurt his reputation to show he was eager for a fight as any of the rest, and the same cold demeanor fell over him as it had when he had been a younger man. His 'shadow self' was slowly coming to the fore once more.

As they closed on their luckless target, Hugh takes careful note of the crew lining up along the rail to try to fend off the attack. Their faces are grim; desperate; young. Most looked to be of an age with Hugh himself, though with fewer experiences weathering their countenance than he carried. Glancing to his left and right at the hardened sailors of Russo's crew, it was clear that this was going to be an absolute bloodbath, and the Wyldwind crew knew it just as much as he did. Still, these desperate boys would be fighting for their lives, and men have shown impressive resilience when their backs are against the wall.

"Hold your ground!" a voice bellows on the other deck, and Hugh catches look of a kid that couldn't possibly be out of his teens yet, but somehow held the countenance of a man in charge. Blonde haired and clean shaven, the youth has all the looks of a typical Tomician sailor, though he's a bit broader in the shoulders than the rest of his crew, and sightly taller besides. Half blood, most likely. Russo's lips split into a vicious smile at the sound, knowing his boys would at least get a good fight out of this mess before the day was done.

"Bleed'em, boys," Russo growls seconds before they close within range to board. Hugh is one of the first men across the breach, and the Wyldwind crew takes devastating losses in that very first clash. The rest of the next ten minutes is a blur of activity. Some of the boys from the Wyldwind crew actually have some decent swordplay to them, though with their rapidly depleting numbers and what Hugh suspects is mild dehydration stacked against them, they can't remain standing for long.

When it seems like there are more of Russo's men standing on the foreign deck than their own people, Russo's voice rings out over the clash of steel and the shouts of combat. "Lay down yer arms and yer lives will be spared. We'll see all who surrender now off to safe port with nary another bit of harm done to ya."

A few continue to fight after that, and Hugh isn't the only one with the option of pushing his fight just a hair past the surrender point to score more blood on his opponents before it would become too obvious to Russo, but soon the last of the skirmishes come to a halt and the crew of The Clairvoyant settle into the tedious task of sorting through the survivors. Weapons are claimed, hands are bound, and Hugh can't help but recognize the irony in being on the winning side of a fight eerily similar to the one that had led him down this path in the first place.

Next came a check of the bodies on board the taken ship, stripping them of valuables, making sure they were dead, and giving the departed a swift journey at sea. Of course, even those that were still alive could sometimes be remedied if no one was really looking. Hugh picks his way through the deck, doing his part to help loot and toss the dead men along with most of the other lower ranking fighters from Russo's crew when he comes across one still struggling to breath. It was the same young teen from earlier who had called out the command to fight. He had taken a devastating hit to the right shoulder that had cut deep into his chest, but somehow left both the heart and lungs intact. The boy was losing blood at an impressive rate, however, and without help, he wouldn't last long. The teens eyes are half open, but glassy as he stares at Hugh, meeting his eyes without fear despite the death that Hugh surely represented.

What stayed his hand, however, isn't the spark of childlike humanity in the half blood's eyes; it's the tattoo on his left forearm. Hugh has to stoop and slide the half-tomician's sleeve up enough to confirm his suspicion. Yes. The mark of Brenthias Wyldwind's bloodline. The possibilities for ransom, political maneuvering, and a multitude of other possibilities swim in Hugh's mind--this was a find that Captain Grant would want to exploit, and if Hugh could find a way to use this kid to take down both Russo and Wyldwind, he could deal a crushing blow to the entirety of the pirate nation he was working to put down. The lad's death would potentially spark a war between the two pirate Lords which wouldn't hold much more power than any other major slight, but alive... Brenthias is ruthless as a Lord, but the honor of his family is a weakness that most know of, even though few have ever had the chance to capitalize on it.

Dueling Fates is a cooperative writing experience. Everyone involved with the game will be functioning as a player for at least one primary and possibly several support characters, and will have a direct hand in shaping the world setting, the events going on, and the subtle nuances of the world as it's being created and toyed with. The easiest way to explain this game is as a pure freeform. The major difference is I am not looking for just players; this is a world setting in the infancy of development, and I expect that everyone accepted to help shape it and enrich it to help make the game their own as well.

This isn't a traditional set up for a game, and there are going to be snags along the way. I'm looking for people who are comfortable expressing themselves and self-policing. I'm looking for collaboration; there will not be a game master in the traditional sense, although I will maintain a final say in things. We will all be weaving in storylines, plot aspects, NPCs, character development, and complications.

Grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are important. A few mistakes here and there aren't going to be a big problem, but constant mistakes or structural issues that make something difficult to read and understand are not going to fly here.

Now, if you're still with me at this point, let's start talking crunch. What do I want from you?

1. Express interest here

2. Provide me with a writing sample in this folder. This should be something meant to start introducing your character concept or adding to the world setting. Be creative--it's okay to take risks here. I don't need a detailed list of character traits, but I do want to see what the character is about. What would the snippet of their life look like to draw people in and want them to know more? This can also be an organization, a community, a continent-- anything that will fit with what we've already established.

I currently have four categories of characters:
Pirates- Characters that belong to one of the outlaw families or otherwise live outside the law on the seas or in a community that supports one of these families.
Navy- Characters involved in the Military force trying to end (or at least marginally disrupt) pirate activities
Witchers- Mystical people with odd magic-like powers (I will likely be regulating these the most, as they're still largely under development)
Passengers- Other types of people that don't fit easily in the above categories but are still involved somehow with being in and on ships, such as dock workers, merchants, on board crew of law-abiding vessels, etc.

I'm looking for compatibility, creativity, and an understanding of the bigger picture. I value non-conventional styles, so please don't feel like strange or unusual presentations of story will be frowned upon. Show me what you've got!

Please let me know if there are questions either here or in the OOC thread on the forum. I'll try to answer as promptly as I can, and I know that this is a bit out there from the typical game ad, so I'll try to update information that I've missed as questions come up.

I don't have a set number of players that I will be taking for this game, but I do plan on being rather selective based on writing, compatibility, and potential. This is not the first time I've recruited for this game, and I'm not putting a final cap on applications. This game will have a rolling acceptance based on individual merit.

Last edited by Chase; Apr 27 '18 at 7:42pm..
You can be a pirate. Or a Navy official. Or a passenger on a ship. Or a Merchant. Or the sibling/child/parent of any of the previous. There are a lot of possibilities in that regard. You can also play more than one character.

I will be NPCing as needed, but the hope is that we will all be NPCing for each other. For example:

Let's say you make a Pirate. This pirate has taken to this life because of a girl he wants to impress and marry. He also has a rival who is after the same woman, and is desperate to show her that he's a nobody.

So, you'll be playing the pirate. I might start developing the girl as a character of my own. One of my other players might pick up the rival and start to weave in that story. If there is a minor character that no one is controling or claiming, then you can go a head and write them in as well. In the mean time, you might also be playing one of the notable NPCs from someone else's character story as well, depending on your interests, time you have to commit, etc.

Freeform is a hard game type to fully pin down for people, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it, and I'm not afraid to give examples and let you know if things aren't working the way I think they should.

I play Hugh/Ryan Grant in the game, and I've known Chase for a fair bit of time as an rper.

If you want detailed storyline and good NPCs who challenge you, I recommend this game.

This game is not about being the strongest, the best, the most beloved or anything else. It's about making a character who is someone with good story. Who makes other players think and react and inspires crafting a cooperative epic together. Sometimes a well-told story entails a character dying. Or worse. But the story is enjoyable because it brings closure and a sense of feeling part of the world.

Characters exist as a mechanism for telling a great story and exist as multidimensional people, with their own hopes and fears and dreams. Freeform is rewarding because it doesn't entail a bad roll happening to end a story early. It requires a creative mind to come up with how their character makes an addition to an unfolding world we discover, together.

My name is Crownguard and Chase is one of my favorite GMs on this statio....I mean website.

How much magic is in the world? It looks like not much, with Witchers being the only displays of magic, but apparently they can be quite powerful. Are there any Witchers that work for church organizations? Is there divine magic, a la traditional D&D where priests can call for power and semi-regularly perform what we would call miracles?

To date, there is only Witchers manifesting powers, and they are very rare. Rare enough that the few known witchers are met with either suspicion or awe, depending on where you're from. There is room for -some- expression outside of that, but not a lot. As I said in the main thread, Witchers have been my baby project recently, so trying to play one is going to be a bit more heavy handed than other ideas, but they're welcome.