Heine Edelfelt

Heine Edelfelt

DetailsName: Heine Edelfelt (sheet)
Build: Alchemist (Grenadier)
Race: Human
Alignment: Neutral Good
Social Background: Commoner
Traits/Drawbacks:
You gain a +1 trait bonus on attack rolls made with thrown splash weapons and alchemist bombs.
Firebug,
You gain a +2 trait bonus on Diplomacy checks to gather information, and can do so in half the normal time. In addition, Diplomacy and Knowledge(local) are always class skills for you.
Affable,
You gain a +1 bonus on Knowledge(arcana) and Knowledge(engineering) checks, and one of these skills is always a class skill for you.
Mathematical Prodigy,
You take a -2 penalty on skill checks for skills with which you’re untrained.
Meticulous
Weapon of Choice: Orbal Bow (Comp. longbow)... Really grenades, and he'd love a certain someone's grenade launcher/cannon, but that's not an option so he's learned archery for when they run out.

Appearance
Personality

―Heine Edelfelt

Background

Lots of work left to go of course, but it was actually surprisingly difficult to come up with even a base idea I was happy with. Between shying away from options that I didn't really feel fit the setting (obviously you're making modifications, and you can probably tweak whatever to fit, but for my own idea I'd like to stick to class concepts that I feel fit the preexisting world), and trying to not overlap with the preexisting members of the class, it really started cutting down the options I was considering. The latter point in particular was a bit tricky because, aside from making some Rean expy, a lot of party roles and character ideals are pretty well covered between the 8 initial members of the class. Ultimately went with the son of Roer Institute of Technology researchers for concept, and nonmagical backline offense, with some secondary support, in terms of party role.

Currently picturing him as a friendly engineer/researcher (in training) who joined the academy at least partially because the Imperial Army has the best access to resources, and being able to take advantage of those upon graduating is a fairly exciting prospect, even if he'll have to help with entirely military projects as well. As for some notable reason for being picked to be involved in Class VII, that I'm still working on - every single member of the class, aside from Elliot, had something notably unusual about their circumstances, which is presumably why they were chosen for the experimental class to begin with (even ignoring the 3 family members on the board of directors), so this is something of a sticking point for the moment.

In terms of class divide, I've gotten the impression that the researchers and the like, in Roer at least, are given fairly free reign due to occupying a vital role the nobility really doesn't get involved in much, so he doesn't care about the divide too much. Certainly he wouldn't be opposed to more equitable laws, but Roer under Rogner isn't really one of the places with a lot of tension between classes like Bareahard is. I'm still trying to develop some of these ideas though, so I could change some details.

edit: Oh, and I wanted to find some way to work Knowledge(engineering) onto my skill list, but skimming all the (non-campaign) traits didn't really turn up anything useful. Just curious if you have any suggestions on ways to possibly grab it. Possibly swapping out arcana or nature for it? Dunno.

Hah! Yeah, I considered that, and ultimately settled on at least filling a different party role, what with her generally being heavily a buffing/healing/support character rather than dealing damage - and what damage she does put out tends to be via spells (if you build her orbment that way), rather than anything to do with her weapons.

Roer being a huge chunk of the empire's R&D AND manufacturing kind of undercut my thoughts of setting the background elsewhere though, to the point that even in CS3 like the entire tech support group is either from there or from out of country. Maybe I'll figure out some reason to have family living in Heimdallr or something.

My main worry is that having someone else from Roer in the class would risk undermining the "what the R stands for" reveal, although there are probably ways to play around that.
Oh by the way, speaking of builds: did you get my PM?

Now I have (or noticed it, rather).

Assuming I stick with Roer, was probably just going to go with the simplest explanation for not realizing that, It's shaky, but admittedly it was kind of shaky in-game too.