Fate/Homebrew - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Fate/Homebrew

Fate/Homebrew

So for a while now Ive wanted to build an RPG based on the Fate universe and the holy grail wars (not the game system, the anime/graphic novel). I want the game to be more narrative based and less mechanically complex, so I am going to be drawing inspiration from systems like Blade in the Dark, Apocalypse powered games, and Wushu, rather than systems like D&D and the like.

The game will ideally be for 1-3 players (PvE with a potential PvP end game) or for 7 players (PvP only, or a PvE war between 7 players and 7 NPCs).

Some ideas/concepts I have so far that I would like to develop or find ways to impliment include:
  • Master-Servant Relationships. Do player play both Master and Servant, or one or the other? If they play both, I like the idea of players being a master to a random servant played by another player to create some interesting dynamics.
  • Each servant classification (Archer, Lancer, Saber, Rider, Assassin, Caster, Berserker) will be a playable playbook/class. Each master could have a similar thing depending on wealth/mana/education etc.
  • Players get to choose their heroic spirit from myths and legends of the past. They also get to design a noble phantasm.
  • Noble Phantasms. How do they work? What stops them being abused/overpowered. Maybe something to do with mana?
  • Command Seals. How would these work?
  • Mana/wealth/influence as expendable resources?
  • Base skills and attributes. How will these be handled?

I still need to figure out how dice will work, or a suitible system/mix of systems for a game like this. But I really like the idea of players having a Servant and a Master to play and that they are randomly asigned so theres a chance you wont be playing as your own Master.

Any thoughts or discussion around concepts would be awesome! Thanks!

Ok so I have had a stab at a dice system:

Dice MechanicsRoll Phases

Earn your dice!
  • The GM assigns a dice limit based on the fiction. The standard limit is 5 but this can be adjusted up or down.
  • Players describe a scene and gain 1 die per detail they describe (actions, cinematics, items, enemies, outcomes etc.) up to the dice limit. (details include weapons, scenery, cinematics, moves, etc. anything to describe what is going on or what is there).
  • If applicable, the GM describes actions on behalf of any NPCs to gain a dice pool for the opposition. Smaller enemies instead get 1 automatic success on an offence test against a player, unless a player scores 1 success on their defence test.
  • Players who describe Advantages they have created previously, increase their dice pool by 2 per advantage described. This can bring a player's dicepool beyond the dice limit set by the GM.

Roll your dice!
  • Players (and big enough NPCs) assign each of their dice to an Offensive Dice Pool or a Defensive Dice Pool.
  • Each pool is based on one of their character's skills.
  • Players roll the dice and count up their successes vs their failures.
  • 6s, 5s, and 4s are successes.
  • 3s and 2s are ignored.
  • 1s are failures and subtract from your total successes.

Did you succeed?
  • Players compare their Offensive Dice Pool successes to their skill rating.
  • If they equal or exceed the rating, they do what they described in the Earn your dice! step.
  • If they exceed by 3 or more, they gain an Advantage which they can describe in the Resolution step.
  • If they are lower than their skill rating, they fail to do what they describe.

Did you screw up?
  • Players compare their Defensive Dice Pool successes to their skill rating.
  • Any successes over their skill rating are ignored, and the remaining successes are used to reduce an Offensive Dice Pool or a Threat Threshold set by the GM.
  • If this causes an Offensive Dice Pool to fail or reduces a Threat Threshold to 0, they do what they described in the Earn your dice! Phase to defend against the consequences.
  • If they reduce an offensive dice pool to a negative value they create an Advantage which they can describe in the Resolution step.

Resolution
  • Players and the GM describe the fallout of their rolls.
  • Players taking consequences should play it up and describe for the fictional drama.

You’re on fire!
  • When a scene comes to a close, all players vote on who gave the best description(s) or performance during the scene and reward them with a one-time advantage to use next scene. Ties are broken by the GM, or a coin toss. This further encourages good sportsmanship and description even through failures.