Advice on how to Encourage Players to use their Resources - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Advice on how to Encourage Players to use their Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post
Half of their fun is killing things on graph paper, often in new and interesting ways if they can.
But they can't care that much about killing things in new and interesting ways if they're ignoring all the interesting ways to kill people written on their character sheets. Usually the players who care about that are out there figuring out ways to suffocate people with cantrips or whatever.

I don't know, I think I just don't have the frame of reference for this question, so I'll bow out here. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildly_competent View Post
I agree with StarryKnight on it-- if you're not enjoying the game the way it's going, I'd tell them that. If being a player (or a DM) becomes consistently frustrating, then chances are something needs to change or you stop playing/DMing. I've had to have that chat with players before, and so far it's turned out well. Things may be different for you given your relationship with these friends, though.
I've had a few discussions with them on regards to these things. It's not that I'm unhappy, or at least no where near enough that I'd have to stop running, but it is a minor point of frustration. And something I'd like to improve upon.

Thankfully, they understand where I'm coming from, and want to get better with the system. But they're also very busy people with far more involved lives than I have ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight
But they can't care that much about killing things in new and interesting ways if they're ignoring all the interesting ways to kill people written on their character sheets. Usually the players who care about that are out there figuring out ways to suffocate people with cantrips or whatever.
Mostly because they haven't thought about doing things like that yet. I'm not about to give them really bad ideas like that LOL. But it's also a thing that we're a group that tends to run closer to Rule of Cool than hardcore RAW. Thus crazy ideas like the dwarf cleric jumping off an airship, with a tower shield strapped to his feet, hanging off a rope to swing in like a wrecking ball through the enemies on the airship under us.

Honestly, it's hard to explain how they are. The best I have is that they have a far more casual investment into the hobby that what we're used to around here. Most people would've dropped them from their game, but they're my friends and it's slim pickin's for people to play with in my area. They are the least power-gamer murderhobo's I've ever seen.

The truth is that I'm likely making this out to be a bigger deal than it should be. But I want to help them improve their system mastery in a way that works for them, and they want to understand the system better. It's just a matter of figuring out how to make that happen.

Have you tried in-the-moment, spot advice?

E.g. In the midst of a combat say, "You know, you have a spell that will . . ." Or "You're getting low on HPs. This fight is going to go on for some time. You should use your healing wand now if you want to stay in the fight . . ." Stuff like that.

At least that would attempt to deal with the "they don't know what they can do" part of your frustration. But I know it isn't much fun playing the monsters and the characters, so that could get old fast . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchern View Post
Have you tried in-the-moment, spot advice?

E.g. In the midst of a combat say, "You know, you have a spell that will . . ." Or "You're getting low on HPs. This fight is going to go on for some time. You should use your healing wand now if you want to stay in the fight . . ." Stuff like that.

At least that would attempt to deal with the "they don't know what they can do" part of your frustration. But I know it isn't much fun playing the monsters and the characters, so that could get old fast . . .
I have, and it's worked to some degree at the moment. But it doesn't stick. However, I'm hoping with us moving to playing online will mean we get to play more often, thus they can recall these features far easier (instead of playing once a month). Which sounds about right, now that I'm thinking about it - my brother inlaw has stated that he can get back into the groove much faster when there isn't a large gap between sessions. Furthermore, playing online means it'll be easier to look up key info as needed, as long as they take some notes on their character sheets about what they have.

Note to self: make any caster player play spontaneous, not prepared casters... Gods know I'll never get a prepared spell list...

Well, it happens to the best of us. When I played Witcher 3, I hoarded my potions the entire game and beat it without having used hardly any of them.

I always do the same thing in Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games. I load up on items early on and by about level 10, I never use another one. Nothing like finishing a game with 99 Phoenix Downs sitting in your proverbial back pocket

I think i need a concrete exampke for this. Let's say your players encounter a Gorgon. They win, but a couple get turned to stone. Now they could fix this with a spell, but your players forget that they have this spell. What happens in this circumstances? Do they leave those PCs behind and the players roll up new ones? Do you poke them or drop an anti-stone potion from the sky? Do they hang around being sad until you remind them they can do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
I think i need a concrete example for this. Let's say your players encounter a Gorgon. They win, but a couple get turned to stone. Now they could fix this with a spell, but your players forget that they have this spell. What happens in this circumstances? Do they leave those PCs behind and the players roll up new ones? Do you poke them or drop an anti-stone potion from the sky? Do they hang around being sad until you remind them they can do?
I've actually never thrown anything like that at them, so I'm not sure how they'd react. It's pretty common within this group for no one to play a caster that can cast a spell of that sort, let alone a caster of any sort at all. There tends to be a larger focus on damage over support or debuff within the group. It wasn't until the beginning of last year that they were pretty caster-adverse, but the focus on damage is still there.

That said, I imagine their solution would be "stuff the statue-person in a bag of holding and haul 'em back to town to get fixed". Assuming they don't leave 'em for dead. I'd be nice enough to have a cleric or something around that can fix the 'stoned' PC, for a price (either gold or favor).

Sounds more like your group may be playing in the wrong setting/system. If they are all playing fighter-types and magic averse, Pathfinder isn't really the right option.

Try Pendragon, Barbarians of Lemuria (OD&D) or Low Fantasy Gaming (d20)

Alternately, a 'non-resource' magic system such as Arcanis or Mini Six could encourage them to use all their abilities during the game.

Some of the above are available for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernskies View Post
Sounds more like your group may be playing in the wrong setting/system. If they are all playing fighter-types and magic averse, Pathfinder isn't really the right option.
You are not the first person to suggest that, and likely will not be the last. In response: Been there, tried that.

You'd think a more rules-lite system would work better, but it didn't. We tried Cypher a few years back, and it flopped hard. Nobody got it, no one cared for it. Also, nobody wants to learn a new system, even if it's easy. The funny part about this is that Shadowrun 5e is considered a fun system for them (except for character creation) - it may help that I run it pretty loosely.

That said, I was talking character creation with one of my players the other day, and he said he was going to look over some guides to help make his call on what classes he was going to use. Made my GM heart jump a little. And this is the one who really wanted to stick with a single system instead of switching to something else.

I can tell that Path of War is going to be a winner in general, which I believe will be the gateway drug to real magic LOL. And they'll have cohorts in tow that are spellcasters that they'll get to control in battle, so that'll help 'em get used to those mechanics without serious concern for their primary characters. I'll have to write up some cheat-sheets for 'em though.

I've got faith in these two to finally pick it all up. They're smart cookies, or at least they should be to have degrees in engineering (although you'd think they would be better about taking notes...). All there is to do is to give them the right push in the right direction. Just gotta figure out how.