Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Rejected Characters Cavalcade!

Rejected Characters Cavalcade - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Introduction
Players Wanted: 6 veterans; 3 new

Application Deadline: November 30th, 2018

One year ago, I advertised my first 5e game. I wanted to make sure that I could keep that game alive before I risked GMing a second one. Thanks to my wonderful players, it’s still breathing.

So here goes...

You apply in the game forum by creating a thread in the Applications subforum. I have some instructions there.

So what will you be applying for? This is a game for people who have that character that they really want to play, but have never had accepted. That’s the main requirement: you must submit a character that you have submitted to at least one game before on Myth-Weavers. It doesn’t have to be 5e —if you want to convert a character from another system and think you can do so within the limits of my application guidelines, go ahead. It just needs to be a character who broke your heart when they suffered merciless rejection from the cruel soul of some prospective GM or other.

“But I’m a Hatchling! I’m new! I haven’t had a chance to have a character rejected yet! You’re mean! You have a point. There is one exception to the requirement. If you are completely new to MW, you may submit an original character. Otherwise, no.

Here’s the second part. As long as characters are complete and meet a minimum threshold of acceptability (detailed in the application guidelines in the game forum), I will select 9 players randomly. 3 slots will go to new players with new characters, the other 6 will go towards reawakening the souls of jaded cynical old players to joy and possibility. So there will be no need to try to anticipate what might appeal to Voord 99’s strange and twisted mind.

We also won’t be worrying about having a “balanced party” or anything like that. If we end up with eight Trickster Clerics and one Wild Magic Sorcerer, then eight priests and priestesses of the goddess of cunning and one orphan born with wonky magical abilities go on an adventure.

Story and Setting“So what about setting?” I hear you ask. ”What kind of a story will it be?” I don’t know yet.

We will make up the setting together around your characters. In most cases, you will presumably have lovingly crafted them to suit some other setting. We will file the serial numbers off those details, and probably discover that one noble order of heroic paladins is pretty much the same as another. Then we will glue all the pieces together and see what we have and fill in any gaps that we need to fill.

It will be completely fine if we fill in those gaps in the setting with shameless use of tropes. I’ll be vetoing a very few D&D tropes which I personally would not be able to bring myself to use (such as Always Chaotic Evil races). But, otherwise, we can embrace and celebrate classic D&D: dwarves can be gruff, elves can be full of themselves, “adventurer” can be a sane career path, and no-one ever needs a story hook beyond “You all meet in a tavern, and a stranger comes up to you.”

Anything that we don’t need in the setting, can be be left undefined until we do need it in the game. Suddenly there is an empire ruled by wizards across the western ocean, and everyone knows about it, despite it never having been mentioned before.

As for the story, I’m going to GM this in a way that’s designed to make this minimally labor-intensive and so allow me to keep the momentum up. I’ll take your backstories and the setting and use them as the basis of an adventure that I will make up as fast as I can, very possibly using the random tables in the DMG.

I’ll use a Dungeon World-style front system to organize the results, which is good for allowing players to do whatever they want while still enabling the GM to respond quickly. Once we get going, I will resort to randomization as much as is necessary to keep things moving. Expect me to be rolling a lot on those encounter tables in XTGE, and using the Mythic GM Emulator if I need something to happen and can’t think of anything within a few minutes when it’s time for me to post.

The goal will be to embrace the gonzo “anything can happen” feel of a world which only sort of needs to make sense. A bit like when you played when you were young, and if the DM could come up with some feeble excuse for why all those different kinds of monsters were apparently just waiting around for you next to one another in the same dungeon, you went with it, because it was fun to fight skeletons in one room, and an owlbear in the next.

The adventure is intended to be a one-off, in which we all try to extract maximum enjoyment from this particular story. At the end, we can see if we think that there is more mileage in the game, but, if in doubt, I will try to prioritize short-term drama and excitement over long-term sustainability.

“So, you all meet in a tavern, and...”

Game Description:

A game for all those characters that you wanted to play, but which some brutal and heartless GM on MW mercilessly rejected. Yes, this means that there’s a certain vagueness to the setting. In fact, there’s a definite element of making it up as we go along to the whole thing.

First, what about a character that hasn't been rejected, but one that I haven't ever been able to apply with because it uses too much UA and third party material? Specifically, this would be using the original Favored Soul UA found here: http://media.wizards.com/2015/downlo...gnVariants.pdf, the vampire race from one of the Magic the Gathering Supplements found here: https://media.wizards.com/2018/downl...ift_ixalan.pdf, and though not necessary the Blood Domain from Matt Mercer's Adventure's in Tal'Dorei book.

Secondly, I see that recruitment's ending at the end of this month. I have some holiday plans that will mean limited to no posting in the second half of December over the holidays. If you need players actively posting through all of December to get the game off to a good start I understand, but wanted to double check.

I think this is a great idea!

I'm completely new to this type of gaming with zero experience in live and PbP methods. I currently have character applications in for two games, one of which is specifically aimed at new players, but if I don't get into either of those I'll definitely be applying here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemonger View Post
Two questions:

First, what about a character that hasn't been rejected, but one that I haven't ever been able to apply with because it uses too much UA and third party material?
I hate to have to say it, but I think that’s a road that I can’t go down, for fear of opening the floodgates. However, I’m open to characters that were accepted, but never really got a chance to be played properly, because the game never got properly off the ground.

Quote:
Secondly, I see that recruitment's ending at the end of this month. I have some holiday plans that will mean limited to no posting in the second half of December over the holidays. If you need players actively posting through all of December to get the game off to a good start I understand, but wanted to double check.
That would be fine. I think everyone will slow down then. My plan is to spend a lot of December working with everyone to create the setting.

I love this idea! I've got an app in to another game right now, but if it doesn't pan out I'd love to give this one a try.

If you can remember a concept and rebuild the character, that’s fine. In fact, it’s not the worst test of whether having that character rejected was a traumatic experience if the details are engraved upon your memory.

Hilariously I just posted an ad looking for a GM to run a game around the backstories of a character and my partner's. Mind if we apply to his?

If either or both have been tried out before, absolutely.

If it’s important that you both get in, which I imagine it might be, I can assign you both the same slot on my eventual table for randomly determining who gets in.

We played them in AL, but they were rejected for a game on here sadly.

It'd be best to have them in the same slot just for our sanity lol