With Iron and Pride: Weird Wild West for 5E

Old Nov 12 '18, 9:28pm
Young Adult Dragon

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
With Iron and Pride: Weird Wild West for 5E

With Iron and Pride: Weird Wild West - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Howdy!

Looking for 4 players ideally. No hard and fast deadline for applications, probably around ten days - two weeks as it would be good to have things settled before the holidays.

I'm a laid back DM who is open to any reasonable posting speed, as long as you're consistent. Thanks for reading!

P.S. I've never played Red Dead Redemption 1 or 2 - coincidence honestly!

---

Game Description:

With Iron and Pride is a high fantasy 'weird west' setting for D&D 5E. It's homebrew, but keep reading - the lore is easy to digest and mostly optional!

OOC:

With Iron and Pride is a vision of a fantasy world which has progressed into an age of technology akin to the mid-1800s. You adopt the role of characters out in the wild lands of the new world, surviving in a wild country of outlaws, rogue magic, loose guns and dragons.

It's the Wild West. You're a gun-slinging adventurer. To say you're a cowboy or cowgirl would be inaccurate, since there aren't that many cows, and if there were you'd be more busy shooting at dragons and the undead than herding them.

Your world was once a fantasy world like any other (Faerun, Dragon Age, etc.). It had swords and sorcery and all the usual tropes. But time waits for no-one, and your world survived those days and progressed into the future. It's still unmistakably that old fantasy world, but it has had to adapt to new magical technology, growing populations, new forms of government and enlightenment...

God-kings are now more likely god-politicians. The greedy villains and shadowy masters are now business tycoons lording over an empire of factories. Wizards and sorcerers can make great money applying their skills to industry. Clerics and paladins now have the difficult job of honouring their gods and enforcing their will in a world becoming increasingly more complicated. Fighters wade into battle carrying firearms that discharge spell-scrolls to devastating effect.

Your characters live in one of the last frontiers, where the heroic adventuring of the old days is still very real and necessary.

IC:

Welcome to the frontiers.

The continent of Ascetia is a wide and largely untamed continent, only properly settled within the last century by nations from the wide continent of Eusia to the east. Ascetia is characterised by fertile coastland, extending northwards into uncharted green wilderness, and a huge rugged desert heartland that separates the two narrow bands of civilization. Those brave souls that make a living out in these central badlands are either dreamers, outlaws or pioneers, and must contend with any number of terrible perils that make the daily struggle to put bread on the table ever more difficult than it already is. Great tribes of savage races make their crude but expansive civilization throughout the crags and valleys of the plains and deserts. Sinister ancient magocracies wage war from their strongholds in the wooded north, ever stemming the spread of Eusian influence. Dragons and wyverns haunt the cloudless skies, treating wayward caravans as an easy meal.

Despite these adversaries, the sense of manifest destiny present in Eusian migrants is unshakeable, and the question is not if the continent will be tamed, but when and how. The great magineers of Verna, Caton and Kasnia tirelessly invent and churn out new technologies in their hives of smoking industry, and the invention of the railway promises to deliver the pioneers of Ascetia from their plight.

The only problem is that someone needs to build them first. That's where you come in.

You are an employee of the Katz-Saaborg Railway Company, charged with seeing that their new transcontinental south-west line makes its way to the free state of Meridia on the western coast. Unfortunately, that means routing through dragonlands, the ancestral heartland of the Urtu, Ipach and Kelde tribes, the lich-state of Ghesh, the disputed river valleys of the Sabel pass, and the lawless outlands of Meridia itself.

You’ve got your work cut out for you.

Last edited by Laduguer; Nov 12 '18 at 9:34pm..
Very, very interesting! I quite like it even if I don't know rightly which direction to take a character just yet. Probably would be a lot of trouble to check, but was wondering if you're interested in a fun looking version of Artificer if this homebrew seems appropriate for you? Not sure if I'd go Artificer but it seems somewhat relevant to parts of the game.

Sounds pretty fun and interesting.
It's been awhile since I've actually played D&D. Any issues with an old fellow with a little rust on his armor? :-)

Sounds like an engaging and intriguing experience!
Quick question though, do you allow 5E expansions like what's in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Xanathar's Guide to Everything? Some people don't and all that so I was just wondering.

Dang! this looks interesting. I missed the last 5E modern game. Though I have to admit, this setting is scratching my itch quite a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltar View Post
Very, very interesting! I quite like it even if I don't know rightly which direction to take a character just yet. Probably would be a lot of trouble to check, but was wondering if you're interested in a fun looking version of Artificer if this homebrew seems appropriate for you? Not sure if I'd go Artificer but it seems somewhat relevant to parts of the game.
I'm familiar with it, and in the past I've been happy to accept that over the UA version. Artificier definitely fits the vibe of the setting, and this is just a hands-down better way to play one, but I tend to avoid asking people to use homebrew content as default. If you (or anyone else) wanted to play an Artificier, then I'd be happy to let them take those rules instead of the UA rules. There would probably be some little details to adjust (i.e. possibly converting items like the repeating crossbow to a firearm equivalent) but we could figure them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Magic View Post
Sounds pretty fun and interesting.
It's been awhile since I've actually played D&D. Any issues with an old fellow with a little rust on his armor? :-)
Not at all! D&D has always been more art than science for me anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Wolfe View Post
Sounds like an engaging and intriguing experience!
Quick question though, do you allow 5E expansions like what's in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Xanathar's Guide to Everything? Some people don't and all that so I was just wondering.
I'm happy for people to use content from those expansions.

Ho dog, this might be right up my alley! I have a character I made for a steampunk Pathfinder set in fantasized London - an outlaw weaponsmith, a gunslinger and deranged inventor who traveled to America when school wasn’t available to him at home.

With a mix of Fighter and Gadgetsmith Artificer, Clovis “Brimstone” Gardener will ride again!! (Or fly by way of a steam-powered jetpack, as the case may be)

Tentative interest.

First I thing I wanted to check is if it's all right to be gone the latter half of December. Have some holiday plans then, but I know that might be too much time away early on and understand if that won't work.

The other question I have is your thoughts on a "dark rider" concept that uses the UA Blackguard rules? When I read the game description, I kept thinking of a darker concept, but wanted to double check that with you first, assuming that such a character could be made N or CN, and work in a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemonger View Post
Tentative interest.

First I thing I wanted to check is if it's all right to be gone the latter half of December. Have some holiday plans then, but I know that might be too much time away early on and understand if that won't work.

The other question I have is your thoughts on a "dark rider" concept that uses the UA Blackguard rules? When I read the game description, I kept thinking of a darker concept, but wanted to double check that with you first, assuming that such a character could be made N or CN, and work in a team.
Realistically, it might be a factor in considering the applications - for example, if I had to choose between your character, and a character who I equally liked but would be around in December, then I'd have to go with the latter. But I'd definitely be willing to accommodate you otherwise - worst case scenario, your character could venture off performing some off-screen/idle task whilst you're away.

Re: a Blackguard character, I think that could definitely fit within the setting, especially when you liken it to the "dark outlaw anti-hero" types you get in Wild West fodder. That being said, as you point out, the character would need to be someone who was pro-social enough to work with a team and be an interesting non-combat personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laduguer View Post
Realistically, it might be a factor in considering the applications - for example, if I had to choose between your character, and a character who I equally liked but would be around in December, then I'd have to go with the latter. But I'd definitely be willing to accommodate you otherwise - worst case scenario, your character could venture off performing some off-screen/idle task whilst you're away.

Re: a Blackguard character, I think that could definitely fit within the setting, especially when you liken it to the "dark outlaw anti-hero" types you get in Wild West fodder. That being said, as you point out, the character would need to be someone who was pro-social enough to work with a team and be an interesting non-combat personality.
All that sounds reasonable and good. I think I'll give a crack at it.