Legend of the Five Rings - character sheet development - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Legend of the Five Rings - character sheet development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorak View Post
and Dice support to connect into this would be AWESOME
That's not part of the sheet, it's an entirely different another part of the codebase and would be a separate project entirely.

It's changed by too many things, there are a lot of situational bonuses and such where adding dice support would be very very hard, I don't mean coding hard, I just mean like whether or not you're on horseback and what school you belong to, what weapon you're using, etc all modify the class. You'd have to almost have a separate sheet for each school. Personally, a fill in the blank approach works the best. The player would have to know when to use the auto number and when to modify it on his own that they're not going to get away with making it that much easier anyway.

If we did a change to show the three steps of dueling you'd just need three extra entries somewhere for challenge, focus, strike. But not that many players play duelists and those that do usually know the rules anyway.

The basics would be a sheet like this one which has pretty much all the info without going overboard and being 5 pages long:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Personally, a fill in the blank approach works the best. The player would have to know when to use the auto number and when to modify it on his own that they're not going to get away with making it that much easier anyway.
This is more or less what I was thinking, Kind of like skills in d20 sheets where it has the potential to auto fill but can easily be over ridden. Or no auto fill at all, but a clean place to calculate once (manually) and clear to reference in the future!

One Possible suggestion on School Skills: Create 2 separate "Skill Blocks". Basically, have a Fill-in-the-blank option for Skills, where School Skills are listed in 1 section(And then you can add up their total in the same way Skill Ranks are added in D20 Sheets, will make IR bonuses and such easier to figure out.) And then a 2nd section with just "Regular" Skills.

Sounds to me as if these "school" skills are like the Pathfinder sheet and how "trained" and "Class Skills" get worked out. Job for a giant bitfield, or maybe not. How many of these things are there?

There are art or lore skills which could literally be hundreds long, similar to the professions/crafts in D&D/Pathfinder. I don't have my book handy but more than any player would ever take even if you only take one or two of the arts/lore. Probably 50 or so if you figure room for 2 ea with lores, crafts, performance? You'll only ever have a dozen give or take out of that 50.

IMHO, blank spaces are better. I always like to organize my 7 school skills at the top rather than alphabetical and as a GM looking over sheets it's easier to scan for a particular skill (Lore: History) through the 7-15 skills the player actually has than to scan a list of ~50 for it to see if he has ranks in the skill.

But YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
I always like to organize my 7 school skills at the top rather than alphabetical and as a GM looking over sheets it's easier to scan for a particular skill
For Class Skill on the PF sheet or Cross Class on the 3.5 sheet you just sort by that column, it's why the column headings are clickable. Not that it matters if those Art & Lore subtypes would all need listing, it's Mordae's decision but I wouldn't make a table for that many. Although it does depend what the effect of subtypes is on school, ie. the PF perform skill can have subtypes but they don't affect trained or Class Skill, it's all based on Perform. I was asking because I just rewrote that part of PF and thought it might be possible to transplant the code as it sounds very similar.

I avoided a push for auto-calculation or dice integration on 7th Sea for precisely that reason--the number of combinations of what the game master could request are too varied to make the dice do what you want when you want them.

Regarding skills, they will definitely be blank spaces, not an auto-filled list, just as in the 7th Sea sheet. The list would be WAY too long to fit on a reasonably sized sheet, and even if you sprung for as many skills as you could possibly buy, there's a practical limit of having no mastery in anything that would drive characters away from that sort of model.

Thanks for the entry-level example, Lord Ben. Does anyone have a higher-level character example that shows off more of the complexities?

Here is one at Rank 3, dual classed too with multiple school skills from each. http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=137404

Skills: *=Tattooed Order school, #=Mirumoto school
*Athletics 2
*#Defense 1
*Craft: Tattooing 1
*#Jiujutsu 2
*#Lore: Theology 1
*#Meditation 1
*#Kenjutsu (katana) 5
#Iaijutsu 5
#Lore: Shugenja 1
Investigation 2
Courtier 2
Etiquette 1
Sincerity 1
Stealth 1
Intimidation 2
Lore: History 1
Hunting 1

Here is a player who is fond of level 1 skills. Also he has manually entered the dice codes as well as typed out a description of all of his techniques and advantages/disads too. Personally I prefer a smaller list rather than retyping them all.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=154548

-SKILLS-
Athletics 1 [roll= Athletics/Strength]4d10e^3z[/roll
*Battle (Skirmish) 2 [roll=Battle/Perception]4d10e^2z[/roll
Courtier 1 [roll= Courtier/Awareness]4d10e^3z[/roll
*Defense 1 [roll= Defense/Reflexes]4d10e^3z[/roll
Etiquette 1 [roll= Etiquette/Awareness]4d10e^3z[/roll
Games: Go 1 [roll= Games: Go/Intelligence]3d10e^2z[/roll
*Heavy Weapons 1 [roll= Kenjutsu/Agility]4d10er1^3z[/roll
Iaijutsu 4 [roll= Iaijutsu/Awareness]7d10e^3z[/roll [roll= Iaijutsu/Void]8d10e^4z[/roll [roll= Iaijutsu/Reflexes]7d10e^3z[/roll
*Jiujutsu 1 [roll= Jiujutsu/Agility+Difference]4d10e^3z[/roll
*Kenjutsu (Katana) 4 [roll= Kenjutsu/Agility+Difference]7d10er1^3z[/roll
*Kyujutsu 1 [roll= Kyujutsu/Reflexes]3d10e^2z[/roll
Lore: Bushido 1 [roll= Lore: Bushido/Intelligence]3d10e^2z[/roll
Lore: Heraldry 1 [roll= Lore: Heraldry/Intelligence]3d10e^2z[/roll
*Lore: History 1 [roll= Lore: History/Intelligence]3d10e^2z[/roll
Lore: Law 1 [roll= Lore: Law/Intelligence]3d10e^2z[/roll
Lore: Theology 1 [roll= Lore: Theology/Intelligence]3d10e^2z[/roll
Lore: War 1 [roll= Lore: War/Intelligence]3d10e^2z[/roll
Meditation 1 [roll= Meditation/Void]4d10e^3z[/roll
Perform: Storytelling 1 [roll= Perform: Storytelling/Awareness]4d10er1^3z[/roll
Sincerity (Honesty) 1 [roll= Sincerity (Honesty)/Awareness]4d10er1^3z[/roll