The United Nations says Israel is imposing an "apartheid regime" on Palestianians - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

The United Nations says Israel is imposing an "apartheid regime" on Palestianians

He's got a point, though. If neutral third parties aren't involved, you can have biased outcomes which lead to greater injustice. Why, just look at what happened in the Nuremberg Trials. They were basically kangaroo courts convened by the victors. The entire outcome is discredited because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Can you explain why that is a bad sign?
That word, 'colonialism'.
Quote:
To me it looks as if it may be nothing more than the acknowledgement of previous work on the same subject that came to similar conclusions, but I admit to not being familiar with those prior works.
I could be wrong, and pleasantly surprised, and the prior works are referring to the colonialism that brought Arabs to the Levantine region in the first place. But I suspect that 'colonialism' is being used to delegitimatize the indegenity of Jewish and Samaritan people to Judea and Samaria and that general region.
In my humble opinion, describing Israel as a 'settler colonial state' already means that at least one person in the discussion, for or against the use of that term, is standing on sand.
I have a feeling that if this thread lasts for a while that I'm going to need to repeat this often...
...but here's the first time: Jews are an ethnoreligious people who are indigenous and have their ethnogenesis to and in the Levant. Arabs, on the other hand, are not indigenous to the Levant and do not have their ethnogenesis in the Levant.
I think, from there, it should be relatively easy to see why one might object to the seemingly casual use of the word 'colonialism' and 'apartheid'.
Quote:
'If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.'
- Desmond Tutu, survivor of South African Apartheid
Quote:
'We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.'
- Elie Wiesel, Jewish survivor of the Holocaust
Quote:
Find me a neutral 3rd party and I'll show you 'an anti-Palestine'.
So, I take it that you agree with me when I say that Lord Balfour's declaration did not go far enough and that he should have extended the same privileges to the Assyrians and Armenians?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Why, just look at what happened in the Nuremberg Trials. They were basically kangaroo courts convened by the victors. The entire outcome is discredited because of it.
I got really depressed when this argument finally 'clicked' for me.

Quote:
I could be wrong, and pleasantly surprised, and the prior works are referring to the colonialism that brought Arabs to the Levantine region in the first place. But I suspect that 'colonialism' is being used to delegitimatize the indegenity of Jewish and Samaritan people to Judea and Samaria and that general region.
Could also be a reference to European actions in the Middle East.

Quote:
I got really depressed when this argument finally 'clicked' for me.
Life is a comedy for those that think, a tragedy for those that feel.

If my grandfather abandoned a house and squatters moved in, is it righteous for me to violently take the house from the squatters' grandchildren?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjowolf View Post
If my grandfather abandoned a house and squatters moved in, is it righteous for me to violently take the house from the squatters' grandchildren?
Indeed it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Could also be a reference to European actions in the Middle East.
I would still argue that that using 'colonialism' to reference those actions is inappropriate.
Quote:
Are you making an analogy?

Quote:
Are you making an analogy?
Yes, but the question that you answered with does not answer the question.

Furthermore, not only is it moral, but you should leave none remaining, and utterly destroy all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded.

Quote:
Yes, but the question that you answered with does not answer the question.
Yeah, well, I'm not on trial and you do not have the power to compel me to answer your questions nor I you.
Rather than using an analogy, why not simply ask me a question about the thing you're analogizing?
Wouldn't that be easier? This way, I wouldn't even have to accuse you of making a false analogy.