US on the Verge of Legalizing Cannabis? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

US on the Verge of Legalizing Cannabis?

US on the Verge of Legalizing Cannabis?

http://blog.norml.org/2012/11/01/fin...-legalization/

So it seems very likely that at least one out of three states are very likely to legalize cannabis on the state level. Assuming that one of these ballot measures pass and makes cannabis legal at the state level for states such as Washington or Colorado, what effect would that have on the US as a whole? I don't think the federal government is going to bring down the hammer on the issue, as they have remained practically completely silent on the issue, even after several former DEA directors and drug czars signed a letter to the feds telling them stoner Armageddon is among us. Is history about to repeat itself like alcohol prohibition, or is the federal government about to roflstomp all over state rights? I know it may not seems all that important considering the election is upon us, but this could affect the world IMHO once marijuana becomes legal enough for free enterprise to exploit our largest cash crop.

Largely? I think the American people are gonna go "It's about ****ing time" - even the ones who don't smoke, like me.
Screw that War on Drugs. Screw it in its police state face.

I don't care if its legalized or not on the state level as long as the Feds stay out of it.

"Largest cash crop"... Snort. Yeah sure.

You know, I highly support ending this absolutely idiotic prohibition of marijuana, but I highly doubt it's going to happen. It's more likely that the federal government will step in and disallow it, because it's more profitable for many corporations to continue to incarcerate drug offenders. Corporate police state, awaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

I have never experimented with recreational drug use. I simply support our right as a people to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Largely? I think the American people are gonna go "It's about ****ing time" - even the ones who don't smoke, like me.
Screw that War on Drugs. Screw it in its police state face.
Yeah, i'm right there with you, it's kind of absurd when you hear arguments against legalization. Had a formal debate in class, and had to apologize because the person that was pro-prohibition was red in the face as everyone laughed at him.

We have a legalization measure on our Oregon ballet too.

We were the first state to decriminalize cannabis. That mean while it's not exactly legal, possessing 1 ounce or less just gets you a $500-1k fine. It's also legal to grow it under many circumstances as long as you have a license and are doing it to sell for medical purposes.

The Federal government does not recognize any of our laws. We're allowed to run our state in the manner we choose only because our police department, our courts, and even our jurors all refuse to cooperate with Federal government laws and Federal investigators as far as cannabis goes. I doubt Federal laws will change even if marijuana becomes legal in Washington and Oregon, at least not immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Er....these all cite the exact same study, by a Jon Gettman who is an ardent supporter of legalization. I'll maintain my skepticism.
Oh he's biased, so his research is by default nil? Enjoy your skepticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultima22689 View Post
Oh he's biased, so his research is by default nil? Enjoy your skepticism.
So your telling me because the man IS biased his research is by default unimpeachable?