[3.P] Defeating an enemy with AoOs - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

[3.P] Defeating an enemy with AoOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchant View Post
How about some badass swarms? AoE attacks happen to be the weakness of most, if not all, swarms. Crank together a swarm of swarms and see what happens.
Heh. He wants a character that is weak to AoOs, not AoEs.

Having a spring attacking villain is the best way to do this without resorting to homebrew, I think. You'd just have to build him so that he isn't unhittable while jumping around.

I take some issue with this concept:

Unless some of your players have _very_ specialized builds, AoOs only happen when the character in question takes certain actions (casting a spell, moving in certain ways, etc). Unless this NPC is an idiot, he'll realize that this is his primary weakness. Now, maybe the PCs can maneuver in a way that the NPC's only offensive options will all provoke AoOs, but it should be impossible to defeat a reasonably intelligent opponent who is only vulnerable when he takes certain actions. At some point he will realize that he will lose the fight and stop taking those actions (read: flee). And if the PCs can't hit him when he's not provoking AoOs, his flight will succeed.

Unless you want the fight to be resolved by a retreat or the NPC is very stupid (ie, animal intelligence if even that high), you are building a character that will require you use unbelievable tactics.

Cheers,
Kernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook_Fodder View Post
Heh. He wants a character that is weak to AoOs, not AoEs.

Having a spring attacking villain is the best way to do this without resorting to homebrew, I think. You'd just have to build him so that he isn't unhittable while jumping around.
Oh.. wait what?

Phase Spiders. They can go ethereal as a free action which means they can be untouchable when it's not their turn. CRB and no funny business.