Book of Exalted Deeds game? (D&D 3.5/PF) - Page 7 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Book of Exalted Deeds game? (D&D 3.5/PF)

Well, I guess it's good that this thread resulted in a game, even if it's one I don't want to play in.

If anyone else has an idea that they'd be willing to DM, feel free to put it forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight View Post
For the Saint part, I don't mind the mechanics of the Saint but they require a very specific and narrow view of what is acceptable behavior. For example, is it OK for a Saint to drink? Swear? Have sex out of wedlock? Sleep in on holy days? Probably not.
I'm not sure that that's actually true. You'd expect a Saint to be a paragon of virtue, but several of those things are entirely religion-dependent, and D&D religions are wacky and varied enough that I'm pretty sure none of those are universally required. Even if you look at real-world religions you won't get a clear-cut no to all of those (e.g. Islam isn't so fond of drinking, Christianity cares rather less, etc) and D&D stuff is different again.

Doesn't necessarily mean that it's easy to play a Saint, but I don't think it's quite as bad as all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
'm not sure that that's actually true. You'd expect a Saint to be a paragon of virtue, but several of those things are entirely religion-dependent, and D&D religions are wacky and varied enough that I'm pretty sure none of those are universally required. Even if you look at real-world religions you won't get a clear-cut no to all of those (e.g. Islam isn't so fond of drinking, Christianity cares rather less, etc) and D&D stuff is different again.

Doesn't necessarily mean that it's easy to play a Saint, but I don't think it's quite as bad as all that.
Agreed, what is considered proper conduct in a temple varies widely on Earth both in time and space. The Temple of Aphrodite in Corinth amounted to a giant brothel. Sex was happening there all the time for the greater glory of Aphrodite. As you can imagine Corinth was very popular tourist center in Ancient Greece!

That description seems to fit the Saint of Drinking and Wenching...

popular amongst Tavern goers everywhere... Holy Days include long weekends of partying

The approach that I took to it is that being a Saint means living in a way your particular god would approve of. If you're a Saint of Azuth, you should be spending most of your time teaching magic and researching new spells, to the point of being famous for those things.

My character's god is Baravar Cloakshadow, a gnome trickster god who believes in protection through deception and maintaining a constant facade. He's also a thief, a scoundrel, and an absolutely vicious enemy to the Church of Cyric. He can be kind of a loudmouth jerk. So the kind of person Baravar would consider a Saint... would probably get thrown out of a temple to a more staid god like Azuth. Just because they're both gods of magic doesn't mean they would choose anything similar in their champions beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight View Post
...Yeah, I agree; Vow of Poverty only affects the rest of the party by being kinda on the weak side, thus reducing your ability to pull your own weight...
So does being a Fighter.

A vow of poverty can have other benefits unmentioned in the feat description...

Like having a whole lot of friends who've you have donated things to over the years... who may feel an obligation to return a favor one day, when they can in their own way... and may go out of their way to help