General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

The Last Jedi

If it'll make money and can be called "Star Wars", you can be sure they're working on it, Pope

It's Disney... of course they will.

As much money as they spent buying the IP in the first place... they're going to run Star Wars into the ground so hard it leaves a flaming crater deep enough that it'll form its own inland sea. But not before the corpse is cooked to a golden brown inside its own boiling wastes which were expelled upon its death.

And if it's still profitable, they'll hire a necromancer to get a fourth trilogy out of it.

That's like hoping it'll be night soon while watching the sun set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popestar View Post
I am wondering if Disney might be planning on another one of those "Star Wars Stories" to show what happens between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens maybe? Nothing to do with Luke or Leia or Han (although Solo is due out this year), but discussing the reasoning behind disarmament, and the rise of the First Order?
It wouldn't surprise me if they attempted it, after all they have movies planned out for the next 10 years. However, it probably will fall short given the previous evidence.

I will say I am hopeful for the new trilogy they are apparently planning. Perhaps, if they can get away from the canon group of characters Disney may redeem themselves a bit.

First thing they need to do is get away from the current group of writers and directors. Garbage in, garbage out.

Seriously... there's a lot of people who truly love Star Wars. But based on the last few years, not a single one of them has ever worked for Disney.

Considering how much money they made, they probably don't care about getting new directors for a few vocal minority to be quite honest.

You might be surprised. As of right now The Last Jedi is well over half a billion dollars under the total box office for The Force Awakens. Now we are still talking about a film that cleared over a billion dollars, but that is a pretty significant drop off.

I mean of course as of right now, they will have less than the Force Awakens. The force awakens was out for 20 weeks or so? The Last Jedi has only been for 4 weeks.

I don't expect the Last Jedi to make as much as the Force Awakens, but yeah if you compare 4 weeks to 20 weeks result, then yeah the results will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyplayer View Post
I mean of course as of right now, they will have less than the Force Awakens. The force awakens was out for 20 weeks or so? The Last Jedi has only been for 4 weeks.

I don't expect the Last Jedi to make as much as the Force Awakens, but yeah if you compare 4 weeks to 20 weeks result, then yeah the results will be different.
Eh, not that much really. Almost all moves make the vast majority of their gross in the first month they are out. It's the reason you get alot of buzz about sleeper movies that steady make money for weeks on end. For the direct example if you look at The Force Awakens domestic box office in its 4th week it cleared about 55 million, as opposed to Last Jedis 31 million.