ToT has had yet another idea for a campaign based on a manga - Myth-Weavers

ToT has had yet another idea for a campaign based on a manga

ToT has had yet another idea for a campaign based on a manga

Magical girls: cute and powerful, pretty and adventurous, innocent and bewitching: being something like that is the dream of every girl, right?

But what if we took away the cuteness and the innocence. What if there was an oppressive, fascist regime, and the magical girls, with their smiles and their heroics, acted as a distraction, as government-approved rolemodels for the masses. What if this regime then found itself at war with unspeakable horrors from another dimensions, and the magical girls were the only ones capable of turning the tides in the favor of humanity. And what if this experience at war left the girls scarred for life.

This is, in EXTREME synthesis, the premise of Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka, a manga I've been reading recently, and I was wondering if, were I to start a PF game based on it, people would be interested in playing it.

The four party members would be girls on their last year of high school. Three years prior they were magical girls drafted by the government in a war against eldritch horrorsfrom beyond and, suffices to say, the experience has left them severely scarred: their PTSD would actually be a game mechanic here, an obstacle to overcome every day as they attempt to go on with their lives. The group that left for the war consisted of 9 girls: two died, three went their separate ways after the war, and then there's the four players. Who knows, maybe one of the four is still working with the government, acting as a smiling front for a project to train and indoctrinate new magical girls, because the chaos of the war shocked her so much that she's come to see the order promised by fascism as a preferable alternative. Perhaps one of them is the school's idol, desperately trying to dive into her social life so as to pretend that the past never happened. Perhaps one of them is still training to further hone her powers, using them to engage in full-fledged vigilantism. Either way, "what is you character's coping mechanism?" would be the main question you'd need to answer during creation.

From there, it's about balancing your pain when grappling with your past, your efforts in living your present, and your hopes for the future: as risingcriminality, a waveof terrorist attacks and a mysterious conspiracy threaten your country, you have to juggle your desire to live a normal life, your need to complete your studies so as to prepare your future, and the instinct that pushesyou to using your powers to save people, which by now is second nature to you. It's important to note that this would be a VERY high-level game, possibly using spheres: the idea is that your characters are the most powerful beings in the setting and I mean, if they weren't they wouldn't have survived the war. So yeah, all these criminals and terrorists and whatever are basically insects before you, and so are the police, the army and the other forces of law... And this add yet another layer of inner conflict: are you really doing what you're doing just out of selflesness and heroism? Or are you doing it for the sake of playing god, of enjoying the thrill of deciding who gets to live and who gets to die?

Tl;dr: it's a campaign in which you play as battle-scarred magical girls who live in a thinly-disguised dictatorship. You fight enemies who're far weaker than you: the true enemy is within. Anyone interested in playing such a concept?

You always have such fun campaign ideas, I keep hoping one of them will be Not Pathfinder so I can actually apply to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageBahamut View Post
You always have such fun campaign ideas, I keep hoping one of them will be Not Pathfinder so I can actually apply to it.
The only two systems I know well enough to DM are PF and the tremendously limited (when it comes to modern settings) 5e. Why do you hate PF so much anyway?

I'll tell you what: if you can make one convincing argument to prove to me that another system can do something PF can't, I'll at least try and research said system. I can't promise I'll feel confident enough to actually DM it but hey, never say never. It's never a bad thing to learn new stuff, and I really would like to actually see a character app of yours in a game of mine for once.

Not my style of game, but D20Modern is pretty close to Pathfinder and I believe most of the rules and such are available at no cost online.

I hate Pathfinder because I like 3.5 better than just about anything, and I feel like Pathfinder ruined a lot of what made 3.5 cool. It changes a lot of things that didn't need to be changed (like how it ruined Bardic Music) without fixing things that needed fixing (Fighters are still terrible; in my experience even worse than in 3.5).

I would argue that 3.5 is everything Pathfinder is and vastly more; how much more it can do speaks for itself.

If you wanted to learn a mostly-new-but-still-comprehensible system, I would say you should pop over to d20herosrd.com and see if Mutants & Masterminds 3e tickles you at all. (It's my other favorite system.) It uses a d20 base, so how skills work is still going to be familiar to you. Advantages = Feats (except there's a lot less of them) and Powers = Everything Else. Powers is where it gets weird, but it's essentially just a point-buy system where you can build your own Feats and/or Spells out of pre-coded Effects.
d20hero can do almost literally anything. It's all the flexibility of GURPS with way less math. It's more flexible than Masks. It's as flexible as or moreso than Fate while still being crunchy enough to be easy to run without having to interpret every damn thing. It's really a great system. And it doesn't have a million splat-books introducing power creep; I think (in terms of introducing new mechanics) the entire system is like three books. Everything else (Gadget Guides, Power Profiles) is basically just examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageBahamut View Post
I hate Pathfinder because I like 3.5 better than just about anything, and I feel like Pathfinder ruined a lot of what made 3.5 cool. It changes a lot of things that didn't need to be changed (like how it ruined Bardic Music) without fixing things that needed fixing (Fighters are still terrible; in my experience even worse than in 3.5).

I would argue that 3.5 is everything Pathfinder is and vastly more; how much more it can do speaks for itself.

If you wanted to learn a mostly-new-but-still-comprehensible system, I would say you should pop over to d20herosrd.com and see if Mutants & Masterminds 3e tickles you at all. (It's my other favorite system.) It uses a d20 base, so how skills work is still going to be familiar to you. Advantages = Feats (except there's a lot less of them) and Powers = Everything Else. Powers is where it gets weird, but it's essentially just a point-buy system where you can build your own Feats and/or Spells out of pre-coded Effects.
d20hero can do almost literally anything. It's all the flexibility of GURPS with way less math. It's more flexible than Masks. It's as flexible as or moreso than Fate while still being crunchy enough to be easy to run without having to interpret every damn thing. It's really a great system. And it doesn't have a million splat-books introducing power creep; I think (in terms of introducing new mechanics) the entire system is like three books. Everything else (Gadget Guides, Power Profiles) is basically just examples.
Ah, the old 3.5 vs PF war. I'm team PF for life, so I'm afraid we're in disagreement there. M&M 3e is something I've wanted to check out for a while, so yeah, I guess I'll at least make an attempt. I make no promises, but I'll research it.

It would also be interesting to see how many people would be interested in playing this concept in PF, and how many would be interested in playing it in M&M.

Aaaah, edition wars. That brings me back, good times. Awful, horrible, good times.
But in the end you're both wrong, or right perhaps: All flavours of dnd are god awful!

But yea, the premise sounds great tho... I really do love darker themes with less then stellar people much more then normal, adventuring etc. Eh, Sage?

(also, I should probably mention: The only magical girl thing, and one of the very few anime's I've actually watched and liked was Madoka. Can highly recommend it, lighthearted and fluffy fun happytimes)

Yes, please. I really wanted to apply for one of your last game pitches but other things got in the way. This however I WILL make time for.

Pssttt PF 4 Life *high five*

I'm not sure I completely grok the whole idea, since it sounds a bit manga-y, but as much as I'm not really into that sort of thing typically, I love the idea of screwed up "magical girls" in a sort of dystopian fantasy with a touch of realism (or at least trope inversion).

Actual edition wars are a no-no but for myself, I completely agree with everything Sage has said about 3.5 vs PF but unlike him I will still play PF because a less-good 3.5 is still pretty close to 3.5 and I'd rather that than something I either don't know or don't like. I don't like M&M as much but I would still in general endorse it as a system, and actually for a modern fantasy which sounds pretty superhero-ish (even if we're talking more Watchmen than Spiderman), it'd be pretty appropriate.

@Harmen -- Heck yeah, this is totally up our alley in that regard.
@Tears of Tomorrow -- "Dark Magical Girls beating the fluff out of whoever they want and having to deal with complications from within" is totally something M&M3e is built for.
In fact, if you are curious enough to want to learn the system, I would say, do this: go ahead and run your Pathfinder version for a group (b/c you know you're going to get a lot of interest) and also put up a solo side-thread for me. I'll come over, build a M&M3e character that suits your theme, walk you through every bit of what she can do and how it works, and so on. You tell the story and I will help you with the mechanics as a little side-project. (Totally worth the extra bookkeeping 'n' stuff on my end b/c I've wanted to game with you for a while.) And you won't have to worry about the side-story causing any difficulties for your main group because they mechanically can't interact.