ToT has had yet another idea for a campaign based on a manga - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

ToT has had yet another idea for a campaign based on a manga

@TheFred wait, are you telling me that the idea which was explicitly stated to be based on a manga sounds manga-y? OH MY GOD HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THAT I'M SO SHOCKED.
Just kidding, but really, if you don't like anime tropes I'm probably not your ideal DM
@SageBahamut that actually sounds like an excellent compromise: I'll do just that

@Tears of Tomorrow -- *squee!*
Invite when you're all set; I'm not 100% in the best head-space for remembering things right now and I don't want to completely lose track of this. I will do my best, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageBahamut View Post
@Tears of Tomorrow -- *squee!*
Invite when you're all set; I'm not 100% in the best head-space for remembering things right now and I don't want to completely lose track of this. I will do my best, though.
I myself am busy AND ill, so it will take some time to set everything up. When the forum is ready you'll be the first to know!

I would not mind this. This seems like a cool idea, so I hope I can apply and possibly get in. I will assume that it will probably be pretty high power.

Posting here to express most definite interest.

And also to echo SageBahamut that Mutants and Masterminds is pretty much the perfect system for this kind of game. Also...maybe Masks?

I find Masks ethically problematic in how it has anti-youth prejudice baked right into the system.

Plus it doesn't really suit this concept, since there is no way to be that overwhelming a force in Masks.

Personally, I would say that Masks, M&M, or other system (Possibly Pathfinder if you wanna be like that), then it would work. Heck, even a new system would be cool.

I also think Masks would be a great fit. The super powers and the relative lack of finesse in controlling them, the wild emotions and the conflict that arise from them - they all feel like something Masks would cover. And the matter of making the PCs feel powerful might be solved by simply reducing enemies and threats to having only one or two boxes in their stress/condition tracks (so they are defeated in one or two moves). ^_^

I mean, it's a game about the drama of teens with superpowers. I don't have the same problem with the terminology as you do, Sage, but that doesn't make your point less valid.

I just like it because the game trades heavily on the emotional effects and that's how 'damage' is tracked.

You and I are in agreement on how suitable MnM is though. It would fit extraordinarily well. City of Mist is probably the other one I'd suggest, which focuses on the interplay between the mystical and the mundane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tears of Tomorrow View Post
Just kidding, but really, if you don't like anime tropes I'm probably not your ideal DM
Well, it depends. Anime at its most broad includes, well, basically just everything animated. Obviously though certain tropes are more commonly brought to mind. Some of them seem to be pretty bizarre, but it sounds like a lot of the pitch for this game is subverting some common superhero and possibly anime tropes anyway. Honestly the thing I dislike the most is the art style (gah those alien eyes and the freaky pokemon cartoon style expressions... ).