What do you do? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

What do you do?

What do you do?

... When you want to play in all the games?

Each of the games I play in seems to have a different posting schedule, so that makes me want to find more games to fill the gaps. I know that can lead to problems with being overwhelmed and the like, but there are so many opportunities for great stories and chances to explore new and exciting characters here!

What do you do?

My advice? Before applying to a new game, ask yourself, "Am I being the best player/character I can in the games I'm playing in?"

If the answer is yes - meaning you've chatted up your fellow players in the OOC thread and asked about their lives, you've written an IC post for your PC, you've done whatever optional stuff your GMs encourage (world building, ret-con background storytelling, mapping, loot calculations/distribution, etc.) - then by all means, apply for more games. The only number of PbP games that's "too many" is whatever personal number you have that you cannot keep up with. If you can keep up with two, play in two. If you can keep up with ten, play in ten.

I'd also encourage you, if you're feeling like you want to play more PbP but are always waiting on others to post, to simply run your own game. Everyone loves a player who's willing to give back to the community and DM his or her own game, as it spreads the DMing role around a bit and shows you're willing to do some of that extra storytelling work. That way, if you have the itch to play, you can always post in your own game and flesh out the story, drop a new plot hook in, set up some sidequests or complete some world-building to further realize your world/story.

As for me and what I do? Pretty much all of that I play in about ten games, though the number fluctuates some games and gamers come and go in this medium. I also always try to be running one game (though at the moment I'm running two). I hope that this helps. Good luck and happy gaming!

Shoot the hostage.

Oh, this is not Speed?

Never mind. Carry On.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyJaeger View Post
Shoot the hostage.

Oh, this is not Speed?

Never mind. Carry On.
You too?

This is me, and only me, but when looking at the posting schedules and trying to fill gaps I leave a little space open. I try to account for what life will throw at me so I don't load myself down with all I can handle, and then get handed a brick by the real world. At some point you have to go, "that's cool, but my plate is full".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyJaeger View Post
Shoot the hostage.

Oh, this is not Speed?

Never mind. Carry On.
I thought this was CS:GO.

Have you considered being a DM? Take that imagination of yours and put it to work making quest hooks for another generation of PCs. It can definitely keep you busy, especially if you put some heavy work into the world. Flesh out your NPCs, give them a back story, motivation, environment, attitudes and quirks. Sketch out your towns/cities/dungeons/what-have-you. Really dive into the finer points of the game manual (for me, its the Dungeon Master's Guide) and find ways to give your world depth and texture to make that environment come alive for the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc
I'd also encourage you, if you're feeling like you want to play more PbP but are always waiting on others to post, to simply run your own game. Everyone loves a player who's willing to give back to the community and DM his or her own game, as it spreads the DMing role around a bit and shows you're willing to do some of that extra storytelling work. That way, if you have the itch to play, you can always post in your own game and flesh out the story, drop a new plot hook in, set up some sidequests or complete some world-building to further realize your world/story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inexorabletruth
Have you considered being a DM? Take that imagination of yours and put it to work making quest hooks for another generation of PCs. It can definitely keep you busy, especially if you put some heavy work into the world. Flesh out your NPCs, give them a back story, motivation, environment, attitudes and quirks. Sketch out your towns/cities/dungeons/what-have-you. Really dive into the finer points of the game manual (for me, its the Dungeon Master's Guide) and find ways to give your world depth and texture to make that environment come alive for the players.
+1. There's a permanent shortage of DMs for the popular systems, and this job can take up as much time as you're willing to put into it. And it's pretty darned rewarding. You'll likely find that you become a better player and appreciate the game in new ways from DMing, if you don't already.

I've got the same itch often before, and it mostly simmers down when I stop to consider whether I really have the time to play in several campaigns at once and still be a good player in each of them. The only thing worse than joining a game for no reason in particular tends to be joining just because you feel like playing something, but are not *really* interested in the specific campaign. It's detrimental to both you and the rest of the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezdock View Post
... When you want to play in all the games?

What do you do?
I make a weekly schedule, checking how much time I have to devote to PbP. That's usually enough!