Altered Carbon - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Altered Carbon

I felt the same way. It was a kind of sci-fi I'd only ever read about, though never having read the actual source material either. Even lightly flawed sci-fi like that is better than most of the stuff that's available, so I see no reason to complain about it.

It was great for the tv scifi genre to move in that grungier and darker direction. It is going to be a matter of time before it takes on a more mainstream appeal.

I've never read the books, but I thoroughly enjoyed this show and can't wait for the next season.

Execeltnt tv show, never read the book.. tbh didn't even know their was a book but that explains why they tried to cramp so much info into the viewer so quickly.. still was a great 1st series.

I just finished the series. I give it a B+. The visuals were awesome and the concept is really cool. But I felt the show didn't explore the philosophical questions inherent in the whole Stack concept well enough. My major issue with the show was one of sloppy writing, though. In terms of plot events, the audience should be figuring them out right along with the main characters. This didn't happen in Altered Carbon. Instead, the show relied on information dumps delivered via monologue to explain all the "twists." That's just sloppy writing. But all in all, I did enjoy the show.

That seems like a fair review to me. The information dumps reminded me of early seasons of Game of Thrones, minus the sex (usually) during said information dumps.

I finished it a little while ago. I liked it, quite a lot. I'd have to think a bit to give a more meaningful review. I think there was a lot crammed in and, actually, I slightly disagree, since more or less the entire series revolved around the stacks as a plot device. No, maybe they didn't explore them that deeply, but I was definitely satisfied that this wasn't just a 20th century story with a sci-fi backdrop, it was a story very much about it's sci-fi elements. Given how hard it is to do something like that for TV (there's a hell of a lot of setting info, it's quite confusing, all the body-swapping is particularly difficult in such a visual medium, etc) I'd say they did a pretty good job, on the whole, if not a perfect one.
(This is not quite the same as info-dumps pertaining to the plot, maybe, but point is I think it worked well enough overall despite being, all things considered, a pretty difficult and unconventional story by typical TV show standards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
I finished it a little while ago. I liked it, quite a lot. I'd have to think a bit to give a more meaningful review. I think there was a lot crammed in and, actually, I slightly disagree, since more or less the entire series revolved around the stacks as a plot device. No, maybe they didn't explore them that deeply, but I was definitely satisfied that this wasn't just a 20th century story with a sci-fi backdrop, it was a story very much about it's sci-fi elements. Given how hard it is to do something like that for TV (there's a hell of a lot of setting info, it's quite confusing, all the body-swapping is particularly difficult in such a visual medium, etc) I'd say they did a pretty good job, on the whole, if not a perfect one.
Oh, the show did enough with the Stacks. It just didn't explore them in enough philosophical depth. I mean, Stacks would be life-altering and thought-altering in a huge number of ways. I would have preferred to have seen the show illustrate more of those ways, or at least raise more questions about them. Now that may just be personal preference, but it seems like wasted material to brush over those philosophical ideas.

Compare it to Blade Runner. The movies raise and explore plenty of deep philosophical questions about personhood, identity, and ethics while still telling an interesting story. Altered Carbon is no Blade Runner.

Trying to compare it to Blade Runner is like comparing a fantasy story to Lord of the Rings.

I'm very curious what they'll do with the second season. Will they take chances and explore those bigger ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkrough View Post
Trying to compare it to Blade Runner is like comparing a fantasy story to Lord of the Rings.
Glad we see eye to eye on this point. Interestingly, I just read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and I think the movies are better.

I am curious about season two also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farland View Post
Oh, the show did enough with the Stacks. It just didn't explore them in enough philosophical depth. I mean, Stacks would be life-altering and thought-altering in a huge number of ways. I would have preferred to have seen the show illustrate more of those ways, or at least raise more questions about them.
I thought it took a very show-don't-tell approach.

The humanity was there, leaving us to question the philosophy. That, to me, was the best. Cyberpunk (although I'd argue this is transhumanism) is most effective by answering a single question. When technology becomes omnipotent, what will the people do? Then with that tool, the audience can explore the philosophy more fully.

Altered Carbon erred on the side of pulp fairy often, this is true. It came back to this question just as often.