General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Reboots we actually need and want

Eh, I like a lot of reboots. If not for reboots we would not have many great movies. Cecil B. Demille's Ten Commandments was a reboot of an earlier B/W version he did. Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby was a remake of a virtually identical movie. Mission: Impossible was rebooted twice, first as a second TV series and then as quite successful series of action movies. James Bond got rebooted and people love those movies and they are quite good, even if I prefer the cheesier bond.

Reboots in and of themselves are not bad. But they tend to reboot things that I(we) don't want rebooted, hence this thread.

Resident Evil. Reboot it for Netflix TV or something and keep it close to the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchant View Post
Teen oriented or more mature?
Mature, but only in the sense that they don't gloss over the darker elements of the source material. Although teen oriented and mature need not necessarily be mutually exclusive.

Highlander. The movie is silly and quite weird, but Christopher Lambert can't fight worth a damn. Get some real fenders in there and we can see how epic a fight we can have.

Highlander was choreographed by the late, great Bob Anderson. He did the best he could with what he had to work with on Highlander, Star Wars, Princess Bride, and just about any other movie involving swords that was half-decent.

A ReBoot we need? There is only one answer to that.
Maybe slightly less goofy. Sadly, at least one of the actors (Tony Jay) has since died.

In spite of the success of WonderWoman, the DCU movies need a reboot.
While on that topic, the DC comics need a reboot too. One that throws away all the crap that is New52 (exp Damian Wayne, the Scrappy-Doo of DC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Saint View Post
Resident Evil. Reboot it for Netflix TV or something and keep it close to the games.
There are CGI movies that are in line with the game universe. Degeneration, Damnation, and Vendetta. Leon, as of the most current entry to the series (Resident Evil: Vendetta takes place shortly before Resident Evil 7), is a complete alcoholic as he is beginning to break from constantly having people die around him. As much as I enjoy those movies, Vendetta went a bit too far over the top with how they tried to make Leon "cool" to compete with the fact that Chris could rampage through a city and kill everything in his path. Even for Resident Evil, that movie got a bit silly. Other two (which focused on Leon/Claire and Leon/Ada as the primary cast respectively) were more in line with the game's campy/serious tone.

Though, a far more serious take on the series in a show on Netflix I would definitely be interested in. The biggest problem is the time skips; Racoon City is destroyed 20 years before where they currently are in the story (1998-2017). Changing the timeline of the first 5 games (which take place within 9 months to a year of each other) wouldn't be smart. At the same time, however, 5 games is more than plenty to get a series going that starts and ends at a good point.

0 - Bravo Team in the Arklay Mansion Incident
1 - Alpha Team in the Arklay Mansion Incident
3 - Jill Valentine in the initial collapse of Racoon City (first half of game)
2 - Collapse of Raccoon City
3 - Jill Valentine in fall of Racoon City (second half of game)
CV - Chris hunting down Wesker (+ Claire)

After that, you'd have a considerable jump where you get all sorts of things

DC - Leon's first mission and only mission alongside Jack Krauser
UC - Chris + Jill hunting down Umbrella
LiN - Death of Oswald Spencer / "Official" KIA for Wesker and Jill
4 - Los Illuminates Cult
Rev - Terragregia Panic and the rise of the BSAA / Fall of the FBC
Degeneration - Movie: return of the T-Virus
5 - Kijuju Autonomous Zone Incident
Rev 2 - T-Phobos and endless Kafka references
Damnation - Movie: More Los Plagas
Marhawa Desire - Manga: Chris and Piers killing everything
6 - C-Virus outbreak and defeat
HI - Manga: Return of Parker and and Claire.
Vendetta - Movie: A-Virus and return of Rebecca Chambers
7 - E-Type Bioweapon

The gap after Code Veronica just spans over so much time that it'd be ineffective to really make a show out of. Well, you could do it, but it would need the titles being compressed to likely half a season each. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this, it's just going to be a practicality nightmare. Then again, if they do the entirety in animation or CGI, they can close the massive gap before too long. There is a LOT of material to work with, and as long as they don't cut too much out at once, they should be alright.

Let's see, I could see a new Adventures of Brisco County Jr. It was fun and weird.

I loved Total Recall 2070 and think it should get a revisit or continuation.

Tron needs a reboot, perhaps one that embraces the 80's and tries to have fun rather than just look cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchant View Post
Let's see, I could see a new Adventures of Brisco County Jr. It was fun and weird.

I loved Total Recall 2070 and think it should get a revisit or continuation.

Tron needs a reboot, perhaps one that embraces the 80's and tries to have fun rather than just look cool.
Who could replace Bruce Campbell?
Hell yes.
Tron: Uprising was doing a pretty good job. Love to see that continued, or at least given a wrap-up movie.

ReBoot.

Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

Phantasm.

The Last Starfighter.

Misfits of Science (it might fit in with the whole superhero genre nowadays)

And I'd love a 2-season HBO series for Stephen King's: The Stand