Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Much-hyped first-person Medieval game set in Bohemia during the 1400s. It was released yesterday.

Reviews are somewhat positive. Though, there are many complaints, as of Feb. 14, about various bugs and poor performance among people with low-end computers.

I've played about three hours and am enjoying it. The worldbuilding, graphics and voice acting are amazing. However, the combat feels clunky and loading screens for dialogue -- even the mundane ones -- are a drag. I can live with the latter, but I hope the devs will fix this in later patches.

I have started, and on a lower end rig things aren't as smooth as I would like, but I didn't install it on my solid state so some of the loading issues may be lowered if I do that. Most annoying so far is a 1-3 second freeze when I think it must be loading a side area to try keep things smoothly connected. Loading screens are a little annoying but I mean, compared to what we use to have to deal with it, it's not too bad!

I just hope they have really nailed the setting, that's the reason I bought it after all!

I have been following this game, but I have to say, that setting the game in Bohemia, but everyone is speaking with English accents is completely immersion-breaking. And not just English accents, but English idioms, and English terminology. Why not just set the game in England?

Pedantic, yes. But this decision just does not make a lick of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyJaeger View Post
I have been following this game, but I have to say, that setting the game in Bohemia, but everyone is speaking with English accents is completely immersion-breaking. And not just English accents, but English idioms, and English terminology. Why not just set the game in England?

Pedantic, yes. But this decision just does not make a lick of sense.
I have had that thought, but for better or worse I have an english association with that time period, so it isn't too bad for me.

True, but I think that is what makes those decisions so jarring. Almost every game set in Medieval Europe, is set in England, with France a distant second. They had a chance to do something different, but they went with the mundane instead.

This is especially strange since the company is based in Prague, Czech Republic. I mean they company is based in Bohemia fer chrisake.

The game is set in Bohemia because the devs wanted to create a game about Bohemia, not England. The voices are in English because it's an international game and English is expected. Is it a bit weird? Not really, the same happens in almost every game out there. Heck, even Japanese games set in Japan have English voice when released in the West.

Could they have made English optional with people speaking the local dialects instead? Maybe, but that'd have likely cost a lot. Also, they'd still be talking modern versions of the languages (Czech? German? Unsure what Bohemia spoke at the time). English with German accents? Would have likely ended up with lower quality VA than using natives. And the VA quality isn't that excellent to begin with, from what I've heard.

The developers, Warhorse Studios, is based in Prague, Czech Republic (where Bohemia was located historically). But you are saying that a Czech-based company would have found it more expensive to find German/Czech VAs over English VAs? In the Czech Republic? Modern German/Czech VAs speaking English with their native accents would be far less immersion breaking than using English VAs speaking with English accents. Adding unique Germanic/Slavic cultural mores would not have been more expensive than using "vanilla English".

I already said that much of it is pedantry on my part.

Native VAs in their native language would be available, but not internationally viable. Native VAs in English would probably be lower quality than optimal. English VAs doing English is potentially immersion breaking, but also available, internationally viable and with reasonable quality.

Doing multiple options then opens up costs. That said, there is full German audio in the game, so you can put that on if you want. Can't say anything about the quality of it all though.

There's no real "best" option here, so it's mostly a business decision. And in this case, it's simply the fact that English is basically required for dialog heavy games to be successful internationally. I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but they are few and far apart.

Well, if they have it in german, then if you prefer, listen in german with english subtitles. Not sure if that presents a better experience though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyJaeger View Post
But you are saying that a Czech-based company would have found it more expensive to find German/Czech VAs over English VAs?
Yes, actually, it *would* have been more expensive. Or at the very least a whole lot less profitable. If your choices are to pay a certain amount and get a certain amount of money... or to pay just a bit more and get fifty times more money than the first way provides... you pick the way that makes you all the money...

It's just a good decision to use English, which is now a more or less universal language.

That being said... their English voice actors weren't exactly the pick of the litter... to the point where "turn off vocals and rely on subtitles" looks like a viable decision. I thought we saw the last of voice acting this bad back in the FFX days. Granted, it isn't Andromeda bad... but it is pretty terrible...

Music's solid, atmosphere is beautiful, and while the faces are a bit too 'uncanny valley' for me, I can appreciate their devotion to making the characters look legitimately unique... most of the characters and buildings actually look like you'd expect for the era and the lifestyle. They clearly did their research and were delivering a work of art, and not all art has to be pretty (just ask Picasso).

As far as the gameplay itself? Nothing special. It's not hard to play, not hard to learn, does manage to be a pretty decent open world RPG showing off a really interesting time in history. Needs some cleanup and optimization- there are a handful of crashes and game ruining bugs- but you can't expect perfection from a relatively small studio.

I recommend waiting for some patches to come out before buying, if you're one of the ones who wants to buy it.