General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Reboots we actually need and want

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawfulneutral View Post
I heard that there is a reboot of Reboot in the works.
That one's been around for a while. Rumors persist. Substance is not yet in evidence.

I always thought it would be cool if the joker was more like the punisher. Like a vigilante, but who's willing to kill. He won't kill Batman because Batman is actually a good guy and the Joker likes him, and Batman won't kill the joker because, he doesn't kill people, and because the Joker is actually a good guy deep down. In the story of course Batman's way is better, but the Joker is not that far off from other heroes and in some comic books, like marvel, have their heroes killing people all the time (A.K.A. Wolverine).

I think it would be a much more interesting dynamic between the characters and be more compelling. The joker always tries to tell Batman that he is only one step away from becoming like him, but this isn't very believable. Batman has empathy and compassion and morals, and thus would never be like the joker, let alone as unhinged. But if the joker was a vigilante, only who killed people, than the difference wouldn't really big that big. You could talk about the morals of killing vs. not killing and actually have a compelling case for Batman wanting to switch over, although he doesn't ultimately for the story.

An interesting back story may be that he was a police officer who after seeing a number of criminals get let go thought that the justice system was just "one big joke", and so he became, the joker, to clean up it's mistakes or something. It would also paint the joker in a more sympathetic light, which would make him a more likable character, which is also good since he is a fan favorite. One thing may be that he targets corrupt corporate officials, like CEO's and things as well, and kills or horrifically harms them. The poison gas he uses to make people laugh would be particularly sinister for not killing these people, but making them unable to lead the company regardless.

It would allow a fan favorite to become more sympathetic and not completely evil, as well as more believable, while pitting him against Batman. I always figured Harvey Dent was like that as well, especially in the Animated Series. As for the back story of being a cop or soldier or something, it makes his skills more believable in how he can evade the police and Batman for so long. There could also be a number of joker copy cats throughout the series, that do kill innocent people and things.

Ewwww

Sounds like combining the Jason Todd Red Hood w the Daredevil/Punisher confrontation.
But is it really still the Joker then? Sounds more like a completely different character. Maybe someone the Joker destroyed/damaged taking on some of his personality quirks, thinking he is the Joker when he isn't, but still has some of his original personality affecting his life & actions.

Hmmm... that could be a story there. Esp if he ever met up with the real Joker.

Funny enough that was a batman beyond movie. (Return of the Joker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
Sounds like combining the Jason Todd Red Hood w the Daredevil/Punisher confrontation.
But is it really still the Joker then? Sounds more like a completely different character. Maybe someone the Joker destroyed/damaged taking on some of his personality quirks, thinking he is the Joker when he isn't, but still has some of his original personality affecting his life & actions.

Hmmm... that could be a story there. Esp if he ever met up with the real Joker.
Well the idea is that he has the personality of the joker, but a different motivation for who he kills. In Batman beyond there's also a joker gang, which runs around beating people up and such, and the Joker could have his own criminal gang to go around killing people, scolding them whenever they kill or hurt innocent people (similar to the Redhood story arc). He would still be a murderous lunatic, but not necessarily evil.

It could be that he's not the real joker as well, but I always find the idea of this kind of confrontation more compelling. Batman is always fairly close to snapping, and potentially killing the people he fights, even in the justice league killing aliens and things in giant wars. Or producing weapons for them with Wayne enterprises. It's not that much of a stretch to say he might up and kill someone one day, especially since he originally wanted to kill the man who killed his family. It seems like a more compelling story of "coming over to the dark side" in a realistic fashion that would be believable, rather than just "hey look at me, I'm a goofy clown but I murder people, join my side". Granted I still like the Joker but feels like he's just a random crazy person rather than some kind of true mortal enemy of Batman, imo. He's a manifestation of the evil he fights, but not much else.

That being said there's nothing wrong with the original Joker, I just always thought it would be cool if they expanded it to be like his true mortal enemy. Somehow the opposite of Batman. The thing is, the Joker is portrayed at being really good at mind games, but I never really feel like the Joker could truly mess with Batman. Batman just isn't really phased by things like this and his own moral code is strong enough to prevent him from ever truly hurting innocent people. Now if he played on Batman's own vigilantism, and how close it is to being like someone like him, it would kind of make sense how he might fall for it. Especially if some of the things he says are right. And then Harley Quinn always falling for the Joker because she agrees with his particular brand of justice also makes more sense, as well as seeing themselves as above other common criminals.