The Tides of Discord

The Tides of Discord - Forum
Pathfinder

The Tides of Discord

An Evil Adventure Beneath the Waves
“No one ever became extremely wicked suddenly.”
—Juvenal

-=-=-=-=-
The Kingdom of Acioris is perhaps the noblest, most virtuous and peaceful nation yet founded. The royalty of this dominion has rescued a dispirited people from the brink of despair and darkness. They dealt with their enemies honorably and their allies faithfully. Acioris is a paragon of the age, a bright shining city upon a reef. Yet the nation faces now its greatest test. That test is you. It is the ambition of our protagonists to do nothing less than destroy Acioris utterly..
-=-=-=-=-

What is it?

This is a twist on the popular Way of the Wicked adventure produced by Fire Mountain Games. It takes the overarching plot of the adventure and plunges it into the realms beneath the waves using the material from Alluria Publishing. There will obviously be many changes from the original adventure both to accommodate the change in setting and my own preferences. It will likely be different enough that it will remain enjoyable even to those that have already played the original in its entirety.

This setting is primarily created by myself, using a lot of the setting ideas and rules from the Cerulean Seas. Do not expect the world to be the same as Golarion, or even the Cerulean Seas, as this is part of a hombrew adventure that I am working on. I decided to run the Way of the Wicked in my custom world for fun while I still work on my own adventure. There will be new races, rules, classes, and other options. I will try to get enough information into the forum to make it playable, but some of it might have to wait until after game start due to the sheer quantity of information.

Prologue

In the kingdom of Acioris, many crimes may send you to Torridmar Prison, but the sentence has but one meaning. You are wicked and irredeemable. Each of you received the same greeting when you arrived. You were held down by rough hands and branded upon the arm with a runic F. The mark signifies ‘forsaken’ and the painful scar is indelible proof that each of you has betrayed the great and eternal love of Keilona and her chosen mortal vassals.

Condemned, you face at best a life of shackles and servitude in the nearby iron mines. Others might await the “gentle” ministrations of the inquisitors so that co-conspirators may be revealed and confessions extracted. Perhaps, some of you will be spared this ordeal. Perhaps instead you have come to Torridmar to face the final judgment. In three days, the executioner arrives and the axe falls.

You have all been chained together in the same communal cell dressed in nothing but filthy, tattered rags. Manhandled and mistreated, any finery you once possessed is either ruined or long lost. No special treatment has been given any prisoner, male or female, commoner or noble, all of the forsaken are bound and imprisoned together. Your feet are secured by iron cuffs tethered by one long chain. Your arms are secured to the wall above by manacles. A guard is posted right outside the cell day and night. Little thought is given to long term accommodations. At Torridmar, justice comes swift and sure.

Escape seems hopeless. You have all been well searched and every attempt to conceal anything on your person has failed. And if you could somehow slip your bonds and fly out of this prison, where would you go? Who from your former life would want anything to do with the forsaken? Despised, alone and shackled, all that you can do now is await your doom.

For each of you, your old life is over. For each of you, hope is a fading memory. For each of you, justice will be fairly meted. And who can blame fair Acioris after what each of you has done?

Introduction (The Basics)

Rules System: Pathfinder
Theme: Evil, Revenge, Aquatic Life, Corruption.
Starting Level: 1st

Welcome to The Tides of Discord. This is an epic adventure path designed by Fire Mountain Games and modified by myself. The Tides of Discord is an epic fantasy campaign that thrusts the players into the position of evil characters, or at least into the morally grey area, to deal with the increasingly overzealous, almost cult-like, behavior of the Keilona worshipers that have come to dominate Acioris. Ever-intensifying conflicts, powered by mighty magic and fervent faith, threaten the heroes’ freedom and lives, and even the nation itself.

Before we get into the details of the campaign, I would like to lay out my expectations. In The Tides of Discord you have the chance to play an unusual sort of character. You will play as a criminal that was already tried and found guilty for a heinous enough crime to get you transferred to Torridmar, the most secure prison within Acioris. Your task will be to free yourself from these confines, and should you choose to, find a way to take revenge on those that have wronged you.

I have also went to great lengths to fill the library folder for this game with all the setting materials you will need to create and run an undersea character and provided all the fluff necessary for you to bring that character to life. Applications for this game will take longer than usual due to the unique options and the amount of setting material that will need to be absorbed before the character can be created. Thus I am allowing for a full 30 day recruitment before finale selection.

Mechanically, this will be by stat array based on your race. The equivalent point buy would be 34, as your characters are to be a bit more powerful than your standard game. I strongly disfavor stat dumps, which is partially why I chose a stat array over point-buy or rolling of the dice. I also disfavor gimmicky characters. One campaign trait must be selected at character creation, and should align with the crime that got you thrown into prison. Considerably more effort should be on the personality, flavor and behavior of the character than on the mechanics themselves.

The posting rate for this game will be an average of two to three times per week. Some days there will be more posts than others, but this campaign will be run at a leisurely pace. If you do not post once within 48 hours during combat, actions will be taken for you (usually the dodge or assist action). I reserve the right to eject from the campaign anyone who has not posted in a week without prior warning of absence.

I expect players to engross themselves in the roleplaying element and contribute interestingly to the story.

For this campaign I also favor longer posts with detail and emphasis on the growth of the characters over just posting to meet the requirement.

I will be taking applications until 4/05/2019. I will be selecting a total of four to six players. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Applications to the Game

Available Sources: Anything official from Paizo. The Cerulean Seas, Campaign Setting minus the races. The Cerulean Seas, Waves of Thought but again minus the race options. Dreamscarred Press psionic material is available, but once again minus the race options. Legendary Fighters from Legendary Games are allowed. Other options from Legendary Games might be considered.

Archetypes: I would prefer to keep it to one archetype per class, except in special cases such as the spell-less ranger option. Some archetypes might not be allowed if it conflicts with the setting.

Alignment Requirement: No good alignments. Non chaotic preferred.

Starting Equipment: You start naked, or in rags. Equipment will be obtained after the adventure starts.

Ability Scores: Stat array based on race. To give you an idea, the equivalent point-buy is 34.

Hit Points: Maximum at first level, roll for levels beyond first. You can re-roll ones.

Traits: One campaign specific and one normal option of your choice.

House Rules: You gain two additional skill points per level. We are using the feat revisions that can be found here.

Character Submissions: I’ve got a little outline I’d like everyone to follow for submitting a character. You will also need to start a thread in the Applications Folder for your submission. Stolen (with permission from Bwatford) and also seen on another similar website. I have started using a similar outline for brainstorming characters.

Technical Stuff

Application Deadline: APRIL 5th, 2019 midnight (US Pacific Standard Time)

Post Requirements: Minimum posting rate of two to three times per week.

Party Size: Looking for 4-6 players.

Other Requirements:
- I want players who give detailed and interesting posts. Not one-liners and blocks of speech text. The rule of three applies here. What is your character thinking, doing and saying.

- Expect your actions to have consequences. Don't be stupid. Play smart. If I give you lots of hints that opening the box will unleash fiery death. Don't open the box and expect to live.

- I'm a story teller, the rule of cool applies. If it's cool, cinematic and epic, screw the rules- I'll probably allow it. If this grates against your rules lawyer soul...we are not meant to play together.

- Unless I tell you otherwise...assume you can play with the scenery to help craft the story.

Final Note from the DM

I know the above is a very, very lengthy process to go through to apply for a online pbp game. I also know that some of you will be turned off by it. Some of you will cringe, but others will pour their heart and soul into their character and create something absolutely beautiful. If you are looking for a quick game of fun and just want to slash up some bad guys and do your thing then this campaign is not for you. If you are looking for more.... then look no further than "The Tides of Discord".

The most important thing you should do however is familiarize yourself with the setting and start thinking about what kind of villain you would like to be playing.

Ask any questions that you have about the campaign or the recruitment process in the Questions and Answers thread.

Please do not hesitate to PM me, call me out on something, disagree with me, ask questions, bite your thumb at me, or anything else you need to do for me to get your application. I don't bite.

Game Description:

This is my first game on Myth Weavers. Forgive me if I miss something important as I try to collect everything in preparation for this adventure. At the time of this post I believe I have everything ready to at least get character creation under way.

This is essentially the Way of the Wicked adventure but has been adapted into my own setting. This setting is still a work in progress as I slowly continue to chip away at my own adventure. Hopefully there shouldn't be any glaring inconsistencies, but should you spot one please let me know so that I can correct it going forward.

Special thanks to Bwatford for letting me copy his advertisement. This has made it a lot easier to adapt my own from his layout, plus I agree with a lot of what he has in his post.

Last edited by Talanna; Mar 15 '19 at 11:51pm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorPriest View Post
Hmm... damn. I have all of cerulean seas purchased but I'm not one for evil campaigns. Damn shame. Good luck with this game!
You might want to look up Way of the Wicked on the web. It is not a standard evil campaign. It was well thought out and has some provisions to mediate some of the excessive aspects which plague an evil campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorPriest View Post
Hmm... damn. I have all of cerulean seas purchased but I'm not one for evil campaigns. Damn shame. Good luck with this game!
It isn't completely evil, kill everything in sight with no consequences. Nobody is evil all the time, at least nobody sane. There is a pretty good amount of grey area as well. If you are familiar with Asmodeus from the Golarion setting at all then that should give you a pretty good idea of the kind of behavior that is expected. More lawful than evil. Evil deeds are a means to an end, not done for enjoyment.

We're getting quite a lot of female caster apps. Hope there are some beefcakes out there for us soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughtrade View Post
We're getting quite a lot of female caster apps. Hope there are some beefcakes out there for us soon.
Dang. Maybe i should have gone with my shark man cannibal... but i love Lally so much! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephias View Post
Guilty on the female end of that but Mellisia is a martial so at least we have that?
I played Captain Jack Harkness in a LXG game, and I have a slightly douchey, flouncy fencer in a musketeers game on tabletop games. Other than that, all my characters are female. So I really have no room to complain I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughtrade View Post
We're getting quite a lot of female caster apps.
Huh, that's true. The sex disparity is partially due to the two qhonians which are always going to be female, though that doesn't have anything to do with the excess casters. But there are some really neat races for martial characters! Especially given the options with natural weapons.

Yeah, at the current juncture, I realized my character hold s the dubious honor of being only Male that we can judge at this moment and he's definitely not the beefcake we deserve are looking for.

I have an idea for a leocerdo melee, likely fighter or ranger, that I am putting together and hope to post in the next few days. The epitome of the leocerdo race...if there willingness to assist was replaced by a selfish desire to obtain his own goals and the best way to protect the kingdom is to remove the weak from the herd.