Earthdawn Campaign with Pathfinder 1e Rules

Old Feb 23 '19, 3:55am
Hatchling

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Earthdawn Campaign with Pathfinder 1e Rules

Earthdawn Setting With Pathfinder 1e Rules - Forum
Pathfinder

Fellow Weavers,

I'm new to these boards but I have a few years of experience online DMing. I'm itching to run an Earthdawn game, but I don't have time or energy to relearn the rules, or pick up the poorly-reviewed conversion. I'm just going to house rule a bunch of stuff to get a similar effect. It would be a fairly high-powered game (Gestalt, extra feats, etc.).

EDIT: I'm going to take Arklyttes's suggestion below and just list some crazy build rules (this will sound totally insane -- I run several games like this on the Paizo boards and I always get plenty of applications, so I guess I'll try it here).

It's your job to make something out of it that fits into Earthdawn lore.

This will be a relatively high-powered game. I think I want to do a rendition of the module Shattered Pattern about the Cult of the Great Hunter

Rule System: Pathfinder.
Source(s): Anything -- 3pp., whatever.
Stats: 51pt. buy. Min 1., Max nothing (you can buy 50 and dump other stats if you want).
Races: Any race and any template(s).
Class: Gestalt 6th level. 3 Mythic Tiers. Gestalt the Mythic Tiers as well.
Feats: 45 at first level. After that, each side of the gestalt progresses like a Fighter that was getting 1 feat per level (i.e., 2-4 feats per level). The 'bonus' feat slots don't have to be spent on combat feats. The Mythic Tiers get the same progression for mythic feats for each side of the mythic gestalt. Everyone gets the Fighter Stamina Feat and the Rogue Skill Unlock Feat for free.
Health: Wounds and Vigor system except you get to add your constitution bonus to the Vigor roll, as well as get double Vigor at 1st level. Maximum at every level.
Equipment: just pick stuff. All the magic items have to be named and have setting appropriate back stories.
Skills: Background skills.
Hero Points (to represent Karma)

Further Notes:

-We will use both the Automatic Bonus Progression system (beginning as if 3rd level), and this system from the Giant in the Playground Forums http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...gic-Item-Rules. Given this, you shouldn't have more than 1-3 very special magical items with a story and background.

--I have home brewed rules for healing surges I'll post.

--In combat you will choose every round to use either the standard or unchained action economy.

I'm still looking at how to deal with magic -- I'm thinking maybe spell points and wild magic rules for raw casting, I need to consider it more, let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Given that huge playground, give me a pitch for what Earthdawn character you're trying to model -- race and discipline -- so I can evaluate your build. The key here is a good modeling of something recognizably Earthdawn.

EDIT: Just to clarify what I'm look for -- I want with a character sheet with an introductory sentence like "I'm modeling a windling swordmaster/elementalist," or whatever the case may be.

EDIT: I'll probably also use subsystems from Horror and Occult Adventures to deal with Horrors.

Last edited by Sensibleshoes; Feb 27 '19 at 9:59pm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensibleshoes View Post
forty five.
Holy cow!

Also...added a couple other questions.

Ah, looks like you added some clarification. I'll just wait a bit before asking any more questions.

There's a lot of fluff feats that never get used if you only have 10 that might have a useful role in approximating Earthdawn concepts/lore. I want to see what people do with it.

My personal experience with this is there's never more people that actually finish a character than I can invite, so I expect to be able to include everyone who makes a character and its on target with what I'm asking for -- a good faith attempt to model the Earthdawn lore.

Looking forward to it. The creative juices are percolating nicely.

About how long will we have for a recruitment period? It's going to take a bit to not only wrap my head around the creation rules, but to turn all the ideas bouncing madly around in my head into something actually cohesive.

Also, I have to say that I remember high circle adepts being able to do stuff like cause an eclipse -- not like an illusion, like they were able to physically manipulate the sun and moon, so I think the original system was a bit zany too.

Like a month maybe, these usually take several weeks for people to finish characters, and I'm pretty busy running other stuff too so I'm not in a hurry.

EDIT: I'll also need some time to look through my earthdawn stuff and revisit the lore and start brainstorming some good equivalents for different monsters. I'll need several weeks to work on that at least.

I was thinking like 8th circle so somewhere thereabouts -- Isn't that the limit in the core book (or is it 10?). The idea would be to play the 'in addition' levels from the Companion in the adventure.

I'm looking at your Windling build -- it's a different project if everyone's going to do a conversion like this. I'm thinking maybe I should just allocate like 60rp to use to generate your 'race' -- and everyone wouldn't have to build their's exactly the same way.

I'm pretty sure I remember there being Windling subraces in the fluff -- you don't have to develop that, but I don't want to restrict that as an option either if someone wants to come up with alternative traits.

Is there a good place to read up on Earthdawn? I've never heard of it before, but the chargen rules are crazy enough that I'm willing to learn.

So this is a fantasy world with an eldritch horror apocalypse backstory? That's what I'm getting from my skimming.

What does the world look like at the time of this game?