Earthdawn Campaign with Pathfinder 1e Rules

Old Feb 23 '19, 3:55am
Hatchling

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Earthdawn Campaign with Pathfinder 1e Rules

Earthdawn Setting With Pathfinder 1e Rules - Forum
Pathfinder

Fellow Weavers,

I'm new to these boards but I have a few years of experience online DMing. I'm itching to run an Earthdawn game, but I don't have time or energy to relearn the rules, or pick up the poorly-reviewed conversion. I'm just going to house rule a bunch of stuff to get a similar effect. It would be a fairly high-powered game (Gestalt, extra feats, etc.).

EDIT: I'm going to take Arklyttes's suggestion below and just list some crazy build rules (this will sound totally insane -- I run several games like this on the Paizo boards and I always get plenty of applications, so I guess I'll try it here).

It's your job to make something out of it that fits into Earthdawn lore.

This will be a relatively high-powered game. I think I want to do a rendition of the module Shattered Pattern about the Cult of the Great Hunter

Rule System: Pathfinder.
Source(s): Anything -- 3pp., whatever.
Stats: 51pt. buy. Min 1., Max nothing (you can buy 50 and dump other stats if you want).
Races: Any race and any template(s).
Class: Gestalt 6th level. 3 Mythic Tiers. Gestalt the Mythic Tiers as well.
Feats: 45 at first level. After that, each side of the gestalt progresses like a Fighter that was getting 1 feat per level (i.e., 2-4 feats per level). The 'bonus' feat slots don't have to be spent on combat feats. The Mythic Tiers get the same progression for mythic feats for each side of the mythic gestalt. Everyone gets the Fighter Stamina Feat and the Rogue Skill Unlock Feat for free.
Health: Wounds and Vigor system except you get to add your constitution bonus to the Vigor roll, as well as get double Vigor at 1st level. Maximum at every level.
Equipment: just pick stuff. All the magic items have to be named and have setting appropriate back stories.
Skills: Background skills.
Hero Points (to represent Karma)

Further Notes:

-We will use both the Automatic Bonus Progression system (beginning as if 3rd level), and this system from the Giant in the Playground Forums http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...gic-Item-Rules. Given this, you shouldn't have more than 1-3 very special magical items with a story and background.

--I have home brewed rules for healing surges I'll post.

--In combat you will choose every round to use either the standard or unchained action economy.

I'm still looking at how to deal with magic -- I'm thinking maybe spell points and wild magic rules for raw casting, I need to consider it more, let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Given that huge playground, give me a pitch for what Earthdawn character you're trying to model -- race and discipline -- so I can evaluate your build. The key here is a good modeling of something recognizably Earthdawn.

EDIT: Just to clarify what I'm look for -- I want with a character sheet with an introductory sentence like "I'm modeling a windling swordmaster/elementalist," or whatever the case may be.

EDIT: I'll probably also use subsystems from Horror and Occult Adventures to deal with Horrors.

Last edited by Sensibleshoes; Feb 27 '19 at 9:59pm..
A good deal of Earthdawn lore seems to be covered extensively through the Shadowrun wiki, as both were FASA products.

Here's a link to the Barsaive page which should get you started:

https://shadowrun.fandom.com/wiki/Barsaive

Barsaive is certainly the most described portion of the Earthdawn setting and nearly all of the source material takes place within it's borders. And much of the really detailed info is on Haven (the settlement) and on Parlainth (the nearby ruins).

Been some time since I refreshed my memory on all of this. Might spend an hour or two down the wiki wormhole. : )

I've read one analysis that the Dragon creation myth where the Namegivers are created by a renegade Horror named Nightslayer is supposed to mirror the Babylonian cosmogony found in Enuma-Elish. Verjigorm is supposed to be like Apsu, and Nightslayer like Tiamat.

I went through all the links on the page Smokey linked, and I'm still kinda hazy on what the world's like. Should I just assume 'standard fantasy', with less sentient races?

A nearby set of ruins was mentioned; would a human (aspiring) ruin-delver be within the bounds of the setting?

Learning settings is pretty annoying; seems like the only way to get an understanding is to spend six months reading literally everything and playing a game in the setting as well...

It has some common fantasy tropes but it's not Forgotten Realms. The dwarves are the major race of Barsaive province, the culture has a strong admixture of near eastern and mesoamerican architecture. There are lizard people that live on the rivers, just to name a few of the distinctive points.

There's a ruined city called Parlainth that has a town next to it called Haven which is a place a 'ruin-delver' could be from -- Parlainth was the old Provincial Theran capital and was shifted into the astral plane during the Scourge, where Horrors managed to infiltrate its defenses. I've also read a theory that it is identical with Aztlan/Tenochtitlan, and was somehow shifted there when the mana levels fell at the end of the 4th World.

I'll have to read up on Haven, then.

You say there's no max to what points we can put in one ability score; do you have a table for buying scores above 18? It currently stops there in everything I can find.

Edit: Another question for clarity: we get 45 feats at level 1, then 2 feats per level, plus 2 feats at 1st and every even level, yes? Plus 2 mythic feats per tier, and another 2 at 1st and every even tier? 45 + 12 + 8 = 60 total feats, plus 10 mythic feats?

Another clarification: when you say ABP starts 'as if 3rd level', do you mean you're using the alt rule of treating us as 2 levels higher to replace magic items?

E.g. we have +1 Resistance, Armor/Weapon attunement, and +2 mental prowess?

I do want to emphasize that the goal here is to use the sandbox of almost infinite options I'm offering to construct something that reflects the fluff and mechanics of earthdawn -- like modeling high Circle adept powers and such. So you should also look closely at that race/class file I linked for what kinds of powers and abilities Earthdawn characters possess.

You just extend the table with the same values -- it's a pattern.

45 at 1; 2 at 2, 4 at 3, 2 at 4, 4 at 5, etc. 45 is the total you get at one. And + 10 mythic feats, yes.

yes for ABP.

Again, though the idea here is to try to creatively snch up this sandbox of options to model stuff from Earthdawn, I'm not looking for standard Pathfinder characters that happen to live in this setting. I'm looking for builds where I can say, "that's a really clever attempt to represent this distinctive power/feature in Earthdawn."