Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Everglades Gone Dresden

The Neverglades - Forum
Dresden Files

The Neverglades

A Dresden Files Story
The Story

The Premise

This story will revolve around the supernatural happenings in a small town in which the supernatural is quite common compared to the bigger cities. The residents have to come together and deal with problems on their own. Power hungry panther despots, semi-retired drug kingpins, and testy guardian spirits are only the tip of the iceberg. The overarching plot will be the search for the Fountain of Youth, with a heavy helping of local drama that will need resolving.

The town itself is called Okeeokalee Bay, just a small part of the Florida Everglades. More details can be found on the forum, as well as in the Paranet Papers.

It is important to state, this game will be powered by the Dresden Files Accelerated edition and not the DFRPG. However, this setting is straight out of the Paranet Papers, the third sourcebook for the DFRPG.

The Game

Who is running this show?

Head-GM: Me (Josh) (Chee)

I won't lie to you, I'm not the best GM. I'm still learning and that means I am going to make some mistakes. There is no 'if' there. I can be dense and slow, take lefts when I should be going right, and trip over my own feet. But when I do, I listen to complaints and suggestions. I'm open to change and can even smile through the pain.

I'm going to school, working a full-time job (and a second part time job), and have truly crappy luck (just ask anybody). There are going to be times where I am slow on the post rates, but I try to keep it to at least once every three days (I'm usually much better than that).

I've read the books, watched the show (yuck), and played DFRPG for quite a while now. I even got to make Dresden for the Paranet Papers, which was the pinnacle of my fanboy history with the Dresden Files. Totally love the story and universe and will happily talk about it for hours on in.

If you want to talk with me, you can hit me up via PM or you can track me down on Myth-weavers IRC, where I'm usually creeping around. Generally speaking, the IRC is the fastest way to get a hold of me.

What I'm looking for in the Players:

*Players must be willing to read my guidelines and other material and be willing to play by them
*Players must be willing to participate in team, world, and character building activities
*The ability to post at least once per three days.
*Must have the DFA pdf from the Kickstarter or from buying the book.

Dresden Files Accelerated is a system based around narration, the GM's and the Players'. The player must be willing to contribute to the ongoing story, not just sitting and reacting to it. Players are expected to be descriptive of their character's actions, thoughts, and presence. Single sentences just will not cut it.

Absence Policy: Real life happens. If something comes up and you can't post, tell me. I understand. If you are taking a vacation or are going to be away from the internet for a time, tell me. I won't hold it against you. If you disappear without a word and don't post within a week or two, your character gets retired and I boot you so that I can start looking for a replacement.

Characters

What I'm looking for in Characters:

*Interesting, Dynamic, Active people
*Can't Be Evil.
*Can't be full blown psychopaths or sociopaths
*Be three dimensional, aka not Mary Sues or cardboard cutouts.
*Can't be one of the original characters from the canon or a close copy.
*Be INTERESTING, for Pete's sake

To sum all that up, I want organic, original characters. Characters with dreams, goals, and interests. They should actively be trying to play an active part in the game's issues. Which means they should be at least trying to be a good guy. They are active in their own lives, not just sitting around waiting for stuff to happen to them. I want characters that will grow and change as the story progresses, and not just in a mechanical sense.

As the Fountain of Youth will be the main focus of the game's over arching plot, every character has to have a reason to be hunting for it. This will be one of the uniting forces that bring the party together and part of the reason to keep your character moving in the plot.

All the character creation details and specifics can be found on the Character Creation Guidelines on the game forum, found here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthr...9#post14119569

It is highly recommended you read over the Themes/Threats, as well as the Important Characters to get a grasp on the setting.

How to Apply

The ad will run like this:

Step 1: Follow the link and look over the Character App Process: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=464204

Step 2: To start your application, post your App in the thread over here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthr...1#post14119621

Step 3: When you finish filling out the Form, state so here in the ad

Step 4: Once I look over your pitch, I will usually have a series of questions to hit you with. I'll post those here, in the ad.

Conclusion

To wrap things up...

*I'm looking for 3-6 players
*The Deadline for this ad will be a little over three weeks from today, the 17th of March

*All questions, commentary, ooc stuff, anything other than the Forms themselves will take place here, in the Ad*

Game Description:

Okeeokalee Bay is home to the legendary Fountain of Youth, a powerful source of life and magic energies. Its waters perform miracles, healing the sick and extending the lives of the residents of the Bay. However, all sorts of weird and crazy pour of the swamps around the Bay. Mutant animals, fae spirits, ghosts, and more. The locals have to be tough by necessity, and be willing to pull together in times of crisis. Do you have what it takes to make it in the Neverglades?

Last edited by Josh; Feb 25 '19 at 6:48am..
Just popping in to add to @Josh's sentiment: DFA rocks - it's cleaner, faster, and better models the character types than DFRPG did. It's smashed the power bloat issue and eliminated certain arguments that I found where endemic of the old system.

Anyway, more power to Josh and everyone have fun in the Everglades.

@Ttory_Seller: I'd love to see what you come up with!

Ight, will review shortly.

Folks, we are coming into the end zone. Final review time starting today and closing on Saturday.

I know it's getting close, but I welcome any comments on my character app, especially from Josh of course but honestly from anyone. I've never made a completely mundane character in a DF game before, but something about the game setup made me curious to try one, and though Susan isn't really ready to be plunged into full-on Dresden mayhem as currently constructed, I've got some ideas on how to move her into that direction if she manages to make it into the game. And sometimes being the person in out of their depth is fun in its own right!

Besides that, good luck to everyone and I'm waiting to see what Josh comes back to us with!

Same as Steel says Ttory say. Good luck all, and I welcome comments as well.
@SteelMirror what I liked most about your app was that her boss is sending her there for a somewhat nefarious reason and that he boss doesn't seem very kind, a complete opposite of what people would think because of her trouble.

@Josh Is it too late to make a prospective character? I only found this site for the first time last night, and I've been dying for a Dresden Files game for years...

@Arcane_Pozhar Still some time left! Go ahead and drop something in, I'll try to make sure Chee reviews it promptly (though that probably means tonight at the earliest)!

@Cleokatrah Sorry for not responding, I saw the notification and then got distracted by other stuff!

Andrew looks good to me. I read both versions and I think it would be fun if he and Susan interact, as she is kind of a soft heart with a patron of questionable morality and motives, while he sort of comes from the opposite direction of having a rough past and lots of personal demons but having a literal angelic patron. Angels are a grey area in DF lore, where I think canonically they are pretty light-and-goodness but we see a lot more of the more shady operators among their ranks in the actual books. It would be interesting to see which way Mishiel goes there.

In any case, regardless of how his mantle ends up shaking out, he'd definitely seems like he'd do a great job working as the team muscle.

Fingers crossed for the announcement!