A Science Fantasy Noir Game

Old Mar 4 '19, 4:33pm
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
A Science Fantasy Noir Game

Crossroads and Noir - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Crossroads and Noir

This is a game, or series of games, set in a science fiction fantasy noir world where hired help called "Correctors" put their lives on the line for a cause, the money, or just a few cheap thrills. Rather than make a long-standing story that spans years, this game will be covering scenarios that last between 1-3 scenes. Each job taken will be vastly different, each will thrust the Correctors into different problems both tangible and existential. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it, someone has to make sure things don't get any worse than they already are...

Application go here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdi...45071&tg=88357 with the character creation and house rules listed on top.
Setting information can be found here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdi...45071&tg=88356

Number of Players I'm looking for: 5-7 to start, potentially more later
Initial Application Deadline: March 16th

Game Description:

The world of Crossroads is a hard place where devils barter with scientists, and machine and sorcery intertwine in an intimate dance of tragedy and sorrow. The three megatropolises hold nearly all life with vast, dangerous wastes between them on a world stripped of everything but dirt. Sitting atop it all is the World Government, a soulless force that serves only to ensure that the world doesn't it by cataclysm or invasion. Short of that, everyone is on their own.

For justice, the world's population turn to Correctors, those few mercenaries who contract themselves out whether for gold, fortune, or standing up for the little guy. These are some of their tales...

DID SOMEBODY SAY

EDIT: ... Aaaaand nevermind, I see wordcount limitations and bans on colored font. Pity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tears of Tomorrow View Post
DID SOMEBODY SAY

EDIT: ... Aaaaand nevermind, I see wordcount limitations and bans on colored font. Pity.
Yep, that is why I try to make clear expectations early on so people know whether to apply or not. I've learned from experience that we all have our own preferences, I state mine to make sure the players I have don't get disappointed after spending the time and energy on an application.

It sounds exactly like Shadowrun. What exactly is the difference other than the rules being used?
Can't play Orcs and Trolls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Kato View Post
It sounds exactly like Shadowrun. What exactly is the difference other than the rules being used?
That I only have a passing familiarity with Shadowrun. Although I imagine there will be a lot of similarities with the dark, gritty, fantasy sci-fi themes, I'm making up the setting, plots, etc. This is a different world with my own imagination (and that of the PCs) filling in the details and nuance.

Interesting. I'd like to know how far players can reflavour stuff.

In terms of race: Can I build a Human but still play it as a cyborg? Can my Shifter be a cyborg that "reconfigures" its form when shifting?

In terms of magic: The world is dead, so I'm expecting that magic that creates "natural-looking" things would work differently, at least from a cosmetic point-of-view. Maybe the Goodberry spell creates gel capsules instead of berries? Or Entangle creates electrical or tension wires to spring from the ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyWulf View Post
Interesting. I'd like to know how far players can reflavour stuff.

In terms of race: Can I build a Human but still play it as a cyborg? Can my Shifter be a cyborg that "reconfigures" its form when shifting?
Yes and Yes. So long as there's a decent explanation, I'm not going to sweat with what race people choose.

Quote:
In terms of magic: The world is dead, so I'm expecting that magic that creates "natural-looking" things would work differently, at least from a cosmetic point-of-view. Maybe the Goodberry spell creates gel capsules instead of berries? Or Entangle creates electrical or tension wires to spring from the ground?
Possibly. I'd be fine with a character playing a more traditional Druid in an industrial hostile world. I'd be fine with a character that tweaks how nature spells work. Only thing I've declined so far is changing magic to pure technology as I do want to embrace the "fantasy" of science fantasy, and it'll be a pain when things like Detect Magic come into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tears of Tomorrow View Post
I must admit, those strike me as really specific reasons not to apply to a game. But everyone has their red lines!