United States Third Presidential Debate - Page 35 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

United States Third Presidential Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikul View Post
See the top of this post.
I asked a question. This question was, "how does freedom improve a life?"
I did not propose anything. I did not take a stance. I did not express a position, defend a point of view, or otherwise express an opinion. I simply wanted some more insight in your society. So, without trying to convince you of anything, I asked a question.
And if you can't be trusted to take care of yourself, you shouldn't be, either - just like a child. <--- Tyranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
And if you can't be trusted to take care of yourself, you shouldn't be, either - just like a child. <--- Tyranny.
So, you suggest we let those who can't fend for themselves, fend for themselves, because the alternative is tyranny?

It's an interesting reduction to the absurd you're making, perhaps if you were less ridiculous I'd bother to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
It's an interesting reduction to the absurd you're making, perhaps if you were less ridiculous I'd bother to answer.
I am not making a reduction of the absurd. I am repeating my words.
You cannot trust those who can't fend for themselves to take care of themselves. This is a tautology.
You can either A) take care of them, thus not trusting them with it, or B) you can let them fend for themselves.

I suggested the former. You called this tyranny.
I suggested the latter. You called this absurd.
But with the third being excluded, you'll have to pick one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikul View Post
So, you suggest we let those who can't fend for themselves, fend for themselves, because the alternative is tyranny?
I think he's more pointing out that your claim to have "made no statements, only asked a question" is in error.
And since you made this statement in relation to people choosing to do something that may be bad for them, it's not about people who can't fend for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggie2 View Post
I think he's more pointing out that your claim to have "made no statements, only asked a question" is in error.
And since you made this statement in relation to people choosing to do something that may be bad for them, it's not about people who can't fend for themselves.
Exactly correct.

Damn, now you've got Lord Ben and I in agreement. Please stop, Ikul, you're undermining my faith in reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggie2 View Post
Being tautological, that sentence was neither an opinion, nor a position, nor a suggestion. Tautologies are devoid of meaning by their nature.
Lord Ben tried to argue against a tautological sentence, then was surprised when that gave absurd results.

I am also willing to take such daring political positions as,
"when something has the shape of a sphere, it is spherical" and
"things with a high temperature are hot", as well as
"if something is dangerous, it is not safe", and if you press me maybe even, "people who are not alive, are also dead."
How are those for tyranny?