Star Wars Licensing - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Star Wars Licensing

Star Wars Licensing

I read on Wiki that Wizards no longer have the license to "produce Star Wars products for their roleplaying and miniature gaming lines."

Unfortunately Wizard's site is crapping out with a VBS runtime error which is strictly on their end so I can't correlate the correctness.

Is this true? Did anyone pick up the license? If not, are the sourcebooks still in print?

I ask because as much as I'd like to play D&D with some of my friends, they prefer sci-fi to high fantasy (in fact they detest high fantasy) and they are Star Wars geeks. That's why the D20 Star Wars game piqued my interest since I'm already familiar with D20.

FFG bought it a year or so back. I seem to remember reading (recent-ish) that they're gonna publish a miniatures game and a non-minis game.

Edit: Changed the title to be more specific.

seconding the second post...

Heres what i found on the site but there was a discussion somewhere on this site about playing here with the beta book (which cost like 30$us i think...) but heres a link to their site and the product

EDIT: Found the thread

(i still think Saga is the way to go... )

FFG is already producing a space combat miniatures game with the license, as well as releasing a costly RPG Beta(who buys a beta? Silly practice to milk the fanbase.) that is supposed to be a near-finished product without art or final-print errata.
The miniatures in the space combat game, X-Wing, look fantastic and they have taken a major effort to make them identical to the old set props.

The new RPG mechanics, while looking exciting and new, look way over-complicated with a series of special die sides.

Two problems with using FFG:

1. Not open to playtesting a Beta. I'm not that good.
2. I don't know if they deliver to the UK, which is where I and my friends live.

The SW Saga books are most likely no longer in print given that searching Wizard's site comes up with only community stuff when searched.

I saw Beta books for a new SW RPG system at a local game shop here in Ohio. Looked interesting but too much focus on Rebellion era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnas View Post
The SW Saga books are most likely no longer in print given that searching Wizard's site comes up with only community stuff when searched.
rite, they lost the rights and no more publishing, but there are still tons of sales on ebay, amazon, etc. There is also TONS of fan generated content on various sites. Not much here in the homebrew section of the wiki here on MW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YohanRedde View Post
rite, they lost the rights and no more publishing, but there are still tons of sales on ebay, amazon, etc. There is also TONS of fan generated content on various sites. Not much here in the homebrew section of the wiki here on MW.
The cheapest for one rule book on both Amazon and Ebay is about £50. That's a lot for a game system that may not succeed. Factor in the whole "I'm a student" thing (which I am) and the phrase "No way in the 9 Hells" comes to mind.

Topic has been answered, mods have my permission to lock if it gets necro'd again.

The way I understand is that that FFG is making three books for the RPG. They don't come out and say it, but it looks like there might be some kind of meta-plot or that each book will have more character progression options in it, similar to Dragon Age.

Of course, this is all speculation. I'm not that interested in their RPG, although the minis game looks wonderful and I think I'll pick it up closer to xmas. Saga is a good game for me.