World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

Koradin's Farland Games

Yeah, as a table we'd had a discussion about the nature of the Dark Will and how it was still feasible to have a Dark Folk PC, and I just let out the insidious DM warning of 'well, its something you'd always be at risk for'

I think a sort of dark side of the Force approach to it will work best at the table.

Donít beat yourself up. Everyone has off sessions. And extremely cautious PCs is a play style. I say embrace it!

I’m also not a fan of truly random encounters. They do become a grind. My encounters always forward the story, more or less. The only time they don’t is if they are used as a consequence of some failure, like failed stealth rolls or some attempt to rest in a bad spot.

Heh, you want to see cautious PCs, show them a room that you know perfectly well is utterly devoid of anything dangerous whatsoever...and a single chair in the middle of it. They'll spend the next 20 sessions outside of that room, discussing what the hell to do. My favourite anti-cautionary tale (is that a thing? It is now) was from a guy who set up a trap triggered by a button ten feet away. Bravo adventurers, for remembering that ten-foot pole...

But yeah, sometimes the players will beat you at your own game. That's good. Success outside of the game will make them more vulnerable to overconfidence in the game.